Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Its cultural

Thirty years, journo James Fallows wrote about his arrival, with family, for a one year stint in Japan. The apartment was clean, as promised, but unfurnished except for the clothing in suitcases.

He reported amazement to walk out the following day and find the streets in front of houses with neat piles of previously owned furniture and household items, most of it excellent condition.

Explanation and correct understanding: There is little demand in the Japanese middle class for previously-owned household items. Yes, there is high demand for collectibles. But not for personal items or what is regarded as personal.

Fallows, an American, partially furnished his apartment from the streets before the afternoon, when the "trash" was collected.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-16-2012 at 09:11.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Oh, I get cultural all right... its just that sometimes it itches like crazy!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Interesting thread, I appreciate the civility of the discussion. I too am amazed at what gear demands here. Often, I move on shaking my head in amazement. It does tempt me on occasion to try something new that I am not 100% sure of, thinking that my "recapture" ratio could be potentially high. I do think it might help the cottage industries in that regard. Reduced risk makes decision making easier.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Interesting thread, I appreciate the civility of the discussion. I too am amazed at what gear demands here. Often, I move on shaking my head in amazement. It does tempt me on occasion to try something new that I am not 100% sure of, thinking that my "recapture" ratio could be potentially high. I do think it might help the cottage industries in that regard. Reduced risk makes decision making easier.
    I have to agree that, in no small way, it helps the cottage vendors.

Speaking only for myself: from the childhood / scouting efforts under my Dad's wing, on into the "re-gearing" of my 70lb pack college days, into the current (last 3-4 years) of gathering gear that will get me out for the long term... the value retention of nice gear is a big mental safety net. The discovery of our beloved cottage vendors here through HF (and BPL, to give some credit there too) has only reinforced that thought.

Now, ask any of the vendors I've used and they'd tell you I put a lot of thought into orders and ask for a lot of communication (Chris at ULA would agree as I left him a message last night at probably too late to be appropriate, but hey, I work till 2AM). I have kept 90% of the gear I've purchased. But I'm here to tell you that neither I, nor my wife , would have been willing (or at least AS willing) to purchase gear from a source with no brick and mortar or giant internet based return policy (recognizing openly it's effectively one-of-a-kind-gear) without the possible safety net of recouping MOST of the expenditure.

It is the same rationale that keeps people buying religiously from REI (and I love REI)... the phenomenal return policy. Without it and I'm quite confident that almost all the frequent REI shoppers I know would scatter to other vendors (providing those other vendors have the same products). To sum up, without the knowledge that our fantastic cottage folks make gear that is going to retain most of it's value, I may have gathered most of current kit from major retailers. Now, it goes without saying that it definitely would have been a much less awesome kit!
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Almost all of my gear is used. The only exception is my down. I rarely pay even close to full price. But I am patient, and jump on deals when they appear. Some either don't have the patience, or time is of the essence and they pay a premium for that. People will pay what they feel an item is worth, and are willing to pay more for other variables such as expediency. If I list an item for a million dollars and no ones buys it, I drop the price. If someone does, then it was priced right. Nothing has inherent worth, only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I think one factor that gets people to pay more for used is that the price includes shipping (yes I know a lot of cottage vendors include shipping in theirs) AND it is already made verses the 2-6 week waiting period for the vendors. I know that is the main reason I consider items for close to the same price. However, I always look up the new item and contemplate the price difference and whether I absolutely need it faster or can wait for a new one.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good thread - and I appreciate that everyone has kept it mostly on topic of used hammock gear.

I'm surprised that so much used gear sells for such high prices, but I think it's good for a couple reason - when our gear holds its value, it says a lot about the quality of our vendors' products. It also decreases the risk in a new purchase, because if the product doesn't work out the user can resell it without much loss...that results in a few more purchases for our cottage makers, which helps our whole community evolve.

And in the end, if I trust the seller, I might be willing to take a small risk to save $15 on a $200 sale. I've done it before here, and thankfully haven't been burned yet. But...trust is an important deal here b/c our community has gotten much larger. This is why we recently increase the required post count to 50...so members have a better chance to get to know who they're about to buy from. (Or if someone has made a bunch of no-value posts just to increase their post count, maybe the buyer should be more leary of sending that member their money.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Good thread - and I appreciate that everyone has kept it mostly on topic of used hammock gear.

I'm surprised that so much used gear sells for such high prices, but I think it's good for a couple reason - when our gear holds its value, it says a lot about the quality of our vendors' products. It also decreases the risk in a new purchase, because if the product doesn't work out the user can resell it without much loss...that results in a few more purchases for our cottage makers, which helps our whole community evolve.

And in the end, if I trust the seller, I might be willing to take a small risk to save $15 on a $200 sale. I've done it before here, and thankfully haven't been burned yet. But...trust is an important deal here b/c our community has gotten much larger. This is why we recently increase the required post count to 50...so members have a better chance to get to know who they're about to buy from. (Or if someone has made a bunch of no-value posts just to increase their post count, maybe the buyer should be more leary of sending that member their money.)
    Post count to 50 is an excellent policy change. I like that.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Oh, I get cultural all right... its just that sometimes it itches like crazy!
    Notice that Jacks "R" Better displays on their home page "Licensed Virginia Bedding Manufacturer (Permit No. 14027)"........ which comes with certain regulations and prohibitions about prior use.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-16-2012 at 10:04.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i dont buy or sell used gearneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts