Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

prices for used gear

I'm a little worried I'm going to be in a minority opinion here based on free market economics, but...

It bothers me when I see used gear posted for very close to the list price of new gear offered by our fine cottage vendors. I personally would rather spend a few extra bucks and buy from those vendors rather than pay near-equivalent money for used gear, how ever lightly it might have been used.

I realize that much of the gear we use either works or it doesn't, and is typically pretty well cared for, and therefore, pretty much as good as new. But, there's no guarantee of this other than pics to show that it at least looks as if its as good as new. Shouldn't I expect to pay a discount of somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 20% or so off market value new? I mean off list price, but wouldn't that also apply to sale prices, if currently on sale, or if sales are recurring?

I suppose some would say that if a buyer is willing to pay you whatever you list it for, then there is no reason the seller shouldn't list it for whatever he can get. Outside of issues with lack of inventory or exorbitant shipping, I personally would feel like I'm trying to get something for nothing by listing gear, etc., without accounting for either diminished value, OR the value of another sale that I am taking away from the maker of the product. For North Face, Marmot, etc., its not an issue. However, I highly value the friendly competition fostered by the market we have created and the resulting innovation and broadening of available products/solutions. I know margins are slim and every little bit helps these guys/gals.

I'm not in favor of any arbitrary rule for selling used gear. Just thought I'd see if any others were thinking the same or similar, and thought it might be good to bring some awareness to the table if so. Am I just ranting by myself?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    You have a reasonable number of like minded folks. OTOH there is a cadre of folks here who like the idea of buying, using, and selling at close to cost. That leaves the option of jumping in, or not, or making a lower offer.

Looking at the number of folks who read the forum compared to the number of things sold including some long running postings I would say you are not alone. OTOH buying a once used quilt as an example for 10% off plus no sales tax and shipping is not a bad deal either.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It is simple economics - an items value is set where a buyers willingness to pay matches what a seller will take for it. Everyone is happy.

Surprised? Yes. Bothered? No.

There is only diminished value if the buyers are not willing to pay as much. As long as demand outstrips supply, it will remain a sellers market and they will continue to receive near new payment for the items.

Long live free markets.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Totally agree.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    A titanium cup is just as useful as a cup today as it was several years ago.(no loss of function as it ages) Should it not be worth more on the used market now if the cost of a new titanium cup has gone up with the worldwide demand for titanium?

Camping gear is often purchased with a very function over form intent, I'll almost always take lighter backpacking gear over prettier or newer, even if it's a plastic spoon with holes drilled in it.
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I agree. That is why I have not bought any used gear. Before I bought my HH Explorer, I looked at a bunch of different Used HH's but the prices were way to high so I just bought it new.
    As long as there is someone out there that is willing to take that chance on getting less than described quality gear and spend next to full price for it, then prices will always be high. And that is fine by me. I find other ways to get what I need for cheap prices if I don't buy new. Like for instance, I am DIYing my next hammock setup instead of buying one. Its not too hard and it is waaaaay cheaper.
    Some people have lots of money to throw at gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm involved with other hobbies where buying used gear sometimes means paying more than it was originally retailed. I can't fault folks for trying to get the most out of a sale...on either side of the transaction. It's just good sense. I agree that sometimes gear around here is priced higher than it should be. In those cases, I just click "New Posts" after deciding the seller has had too much to drink on that particular day. Buyer's choice.
    Trust nobody!

just wait until winter time and folks want the cottage vendors to hurry up and get their new quilt to them. A guy offers a used quilt with no wait and it will be snatched up quickly
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Product development

Among the reasons for product improvement and research and development, are to produce better and maybe cheaper. Even when not better and cheaper, newer releases may command attention because the new model is just different.

There are enough products from different makers and vendors here that fit or test that model that nobody needs to name them. But, I'll illustrate:

1. Does the quilt have rated 900+ FP down? A few years ago, such stuff may have existed, but it wasn't labeled. So, without getting into whether a new quilt will be "better" than an old quality one, if you value 900+ FP , then you won't be supporting a high price for an older model, even if if it was never used, only closet-ware.

2. Last year, as a last step in buying a previously owned quilt, I asked the seller which model or version it was, X+1 or X+2. I used the answer to estimate its value to others and; for my use, it didn't matter to me.

3. An HF seller cheated me by shipping a "one weekend use" Clark tarp with undisclosed multiple cinder burns and small holes. They are all on one lower edge of the tarp. (I should have known from intense smoke reek; but I never build fires, so I'm not alert to the risk they pose (or pleasures they give.)) The burns and holes have not diminished functionality so far. I rarely see them. I set up after dark and take down with my glasses off.

The market value, though? Sure, I'll take a beating should I try to sell with full disclosure. Unless cuben tarps become as cheap as sil nylon. Then it won't matter as much. The tarp may already have lost value, even if perfect, because Clark added a few sq ft of coverage to that model a year ago.

So, I'll try to use the tarp a lot. Here, OP is supported in his feelings.

---------

And, so it goes.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-12-2012 at 19:51.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    just wait until winter time and folks want the cottage vendors to hurry up and get their new quilt to them. A guy offers a used quilt with no wait and it will be snatched up quickly
    Precisely.

Its a function of supply and demand, and unseen costs. You can get it right now for $X or you can get it in three weeks for $X + $20 + shipping + tax if applicable.

Most sales of used items of all kinds include shipping in the price, and none are subject to sales tax.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast