Thread: I'm a convert

Brisbane, Great Southern Land (Australia)

I'm a convert

Just back from a 9500k road trip with a couple of mates. 48 consecutive nights in a HH; happy as and don't think the hike tent will ever get used again. Still trying little tweaks and subtle adjustments but did not have a single uncomfortable night. Coldest night was minus 4C and the warmest night was 15C. One of the guys had never spent a night in a hammock before and he is also happy as and trying to get the missus to try the hammock. Our only fear before setting out was that we might not find sufficient places to hang as we were going to spend a bit of time in the desert. Baseless concern as it turns out. Even a night out on a kayak trip up a river gorge was not a problem. Closest we came to a problem was having to hang between the vehicle and a chain link fence. Best part was being able to pull of the road just about anywhere, down behind the roadside vegetation, and set up for the night. Not going back to Ewok living. Swinging the legs out of a hammock sure beats the aches and pains of getting up after sleeping on a ground mat. In fact, we have all remarked that being back and sleeping in conventional beds is less comfortable, despite having more room to move around and having less problems with covers, mats, tarps, and underquilts.

Only modification to the HH Asym as supplied has been adding two, 3 metre, 25mm wide tree straps. We hung short and long and from trees you could not get your arms around, and from saplings you could circle with your fingers. Did not encounter any situations that might motivate me to try any other hanging hardware or arrangement, so will stick with what I have for the moment.

Outstanding positive was that hammocks are a rarity in Aust and they turned out to be a serious chick magnet. Lots of backpacker chicks wanted to know more about our sleeping arrangements and to try out the hammocks. Also got lots of enquires from the blokes as well but I have decided to concentrate on the more positive aspects of having a hammock.

Best thing about the trip was that before I left, I was about 85% convinced that a hammock is the way to go, now I'm in the 95% region. Only thing I do need to experience now are some extreme high temps at bed time. The insect screen does minimise air flow and that is a small concern.

So, as the thread title says, I'm now a happy hanger and I suspect I will stay that way.

Ticklebelly

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Glad you had a good time. You might try a little battery fan on your ridgeline to help with air movement.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    +1 on the fan, also I find hammocks great in the summer heat because it is cooler than any tent I've ever been in. Get a slight breeze flowing under you and the heat is just stripped away from below. A cool back feels amazing on a hot summer's night.

And welcome to a high state of camping.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Brisbane, Great Southern Land (Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    You might try a little battery fan on your ridgeline to help with air movement.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have found a tiny fan I figure I can hang from the ridgeline. Uses a single AAA battery. Time to have a play around, I think.

Ticklebelly

• + New Posts