Awesome job--looks great!
Awesome job--looks great!
Your TQ looks great.
Thats a lot of loft.
Since you just finished your project, I bet you have all the good Karo threads tagged. Can you point me in the right direction to some good Karo instructions?
I don't know if this qualifies as a "good" one, but it's the one that I made...
And here is a link to my thread where I asked the same question before starting the quilt. All the responses were very helpful.
Note HitchHiking's use of a cardboard template. I loved that idea!
"Life is a Project!"
Sorry for the delay in response, my loveable, yet dumb pit bull decided to eat something inedible, and subsequently required surgery last week to have a part of her intestines removed, so I've been busy keeping an eye on her and drugging her up with pills.
Thanks! and good question, I'll try to itemize everything used in the quilt:
- Thread (both colors matching each side of the shell: $6.00
- Fabric: 2.5y(x2) for each side of the shell, from www.diygearsupply.com ~$25.00
- Down: I bought 5 lbs of 800 Fill Canadian goose down from Feather Industries (supporting a canadian company ) I used a little under 16 oz. to do this project. I would approximate about $60.00. Looking back I definately overstuffed this quilt way too much given the 1.5" baffle height, but there is a method to my madness, which I'll post on later
- I purchased an assortment of shock cord, cord locks, and omni tape to finish the quilt. Estimated cost: $5.00 (and that's being generous)
All in all, the quilt cost me about $100.00. I didn't factor in shipping or taxes on items I purchased, since the cost varies so much.
Here's some more that I had bookmarked:
Hope this helps! It took me about 12 hours to make this quilt, which included me learning a LOT!
Good news, I just made a karo UQ shortly after this quilt, and I shaved that time down to just over 5 hours... Amazing! I'll make a post about this one later tonight
I loved the cardboard template design as well, although I did not use it on this project.
Once I determined the karo box size, and quantity of boxes for the quilt, I cut the fabric to size, and found the exact center of the quilt, and, based on the center, measured my way towards the ends and marking the corners of each karo box. That was enough for me to align my baffles enough that you don't notice the little 1/2" (if that) imperfections.
For instance: a finished quilt measuring 44" x 77", with a 4 by 7 karo box. Find the center of the quilt, and measure out and mark every 11 inches in width, and length (although since the length is 7 karo boxes, your 'center' of the quilt is technically the center of the middle set of karo boxes, so you'd measure out 5.5" up and down from center to give you your middle karo box, then go 11" like you would with the width. Then you can place your baffling in the middle of the lines.
Hope that explains it enough, seems like I rambled!
Anyways, I'm not striving for perfection on my first projects, so this method worked for me, and in fact, worked way better than I thought! Enough that I will use it in future projects!
Pics of the footbox cinched, omnitape, and toggle/loop: