Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Smile Meet my new Traveler 1.7 Single

Well, boys and girls, it was time to pick up a new hammock. This is becoming a bad habit of mine, as I am up to three. I know, it’s nowhere as overboard as most of you, but I am catching up slowly.

Just as I have summer and winter underquilts or topquilts, I decided I needed to have different winter and summer hammocks as well. Why? Well, thank you for asking. I started out with a Skeeter Beeter mosquito hammock, but I noticed that in the colder months, my breath condensed overnight, making things inside the hammock, well, damp. With the Skeeter Beeter, it was easy to flip the hammock/ netting upside down and utilize it as an open gathered end hammock. Then, last winter, I borrowed a friend’s WBBB 1.0d and noticed the same condensation. I did like the WBBB, and picked up my own 1.1 d at the beginning of the summer, but the WBBB cannot be flipped like the Skeeter Beeter.

Knowing that I did not have enough hammocks, I concluded I could use an open hammock for temps below bug season, and focused on getting a Traveler. Being my usual neurotic self, I talked with everyone here about whether or go with the 1.1d or the 1.7s and what suspension to get. It was a grueling decision, but I finally selected the 1.7s, as it was very close to the “feel” of the Skeeter Beeter, and Brandon assured me that it would have as flat a lay as the 1.1d. As I have become more focused on ounces, I felt I could get the weight down below those published by Warbonnet. On top of that, if I carry a lighter hammock in the winter, it will help offset the extra amount carried by cool weather quilts and clothing (Hi! My name is Buffalo Skipper, and I’m a gram weenie—they say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery…).

Ok, enough of the fluff and background. After nearly 2 weeks of sitting on pins and needles, my new Traveler arrived in the mail yesterday! Before I even took it out of the bag, I threw it on the scale, where it came in at 16.9 oz. I removed it from the bag and as expected, it is art and function in its simplest form. Without even trying the stock suspension, I stripped it clean, put on a brand new set of whoopies I had made, then coupled it with my own straps. And off to the back yard I went….

I tried it with both my underquilts, but there is only a very small range in which I would use the Traveler with my summer quilt. Both fit marvelously, and as I lay down, I really began to appreciate the form of the Traveler. It was as comfortable as the WBBB for the few minutes I was able to relax in peace (before being chased out by the mosquitoes).

Now that’s nice.

While I had it strung up, I switched out the Amsteel (?) ridge line for some Zing-it. When I went inside to weigh it, it was down to 15.6 oz. Not as low as I would like to be, but certainly a place where I can be happy. I will miss the shelf, which is really cool, but I will just have to get by. I will also miss the side pull outs, but in the cooler months they are admittedly less necessary.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DIY / WB traveler 1.1dl
    Tarp
    kelty,MacCat stand
    Insulation
    20*phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie sling,webb
    I just ordered a traveler as well. The wbbb was nice but it was to stuffy inside
    great pics.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Looks great buffalo. grats man! my next hammock will either be a traveler or a snipe ,havnt got that far yet .. im sure it will make a good addition..

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    I also have one traveling my way from WB. I went with the 1.1. Nice to see good pix of one in use.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coil View Post
    I also have one traveling my way from WB. I went with the 1.1. Nice to see good pix of one in use.
    Actually, while I set it up with both my summer and winter quilts, my daughter took "lots" of pictures of me in the hammock. But none of them came out. Sorry, I was shooting for much more....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Waiting for my traveler also.

• + New Posts