Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I understand this, but, you cannot compare prices of a "3/4 length" UQ to a "Full Length" UQ, my point that I was making is the prices are almost identical!

The OP stated that he (or she) wanted Either the Zeppelin or the Incubator, which isn't a fair comparison as they are two completely different sized quilts!

As I said I was pointing out the "comparable" prices.
    Well, I guess if you want to be like that, then fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I own an Incubator, and a few Phoenix's and love all my quilts from Hammock Gear. I have not used an UGUQ. My Hammock Gear UQ's are easy to set up and as long as I pull my suspension taught enough I get a nice tight sealed fit. Another thing to note is that Hammock Gear include drafts collars while UGQ charges an extra $20 for the draft collars and $15 for the upgraded down. When comparing the two quilts as full length and 3/5 the price is pretty much the same. Also UGQ is using 850fp while HG is using 900fp. As for which one to choose, well first I'd decide if I want a 3/4 or a full length. Then I'd decide who I want to buy it form. For me the choice has always been easy which has always been Hammock Gear.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I don't believe you can go wrong either way, but like the man said...Make the choice between the 3/4 and the full length first and then decide who you will buy your UQ from.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    The OP stated that he (or she) wanted Either the Zeppelin or the Incubator, which isn't a fair comparison as they are two completely different sized quilts!
    I may be confused, but aren't all UGQ quilts called Zeppelins? The site seems to have both Full-length and 3/4 length Zeppelins.

Comparing prices, a 20-degree full-length Zeppelin starts at $219, while a 20-degree Incubator starts at $239. As mentioned, the Incubator has draft collars standard, so the prices are pretty comparable.

Hammock
    Clark NX270 NX250, 2- Flex 180's
    Tarp
    Underground WD
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 10 &20
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl

Ugq

I received my full length zepplin yeaterday and it is amazingly flawless, the workmanship is excellent to perfect
    I will be ordering another

mine was a 20 degree zepplin extra length and 3 additional ounces of hydrophobic down
    Bill,

P.S 5" extra wide for a flex 180 by clark

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Thank you for all of your responses. Just to clarify I am comparing two full length quilts. The Incubator is 78 x 44 and the Zeppelin is 77 x 45.

I'm concerned about set up and about adjustment from the hammock as temperatures change. I'm also curious about any likes and dislikes as well as features that are not clear from the websites (for example I didn't know that the Incubator had draft collars until that was pointed out by lazy river road).

Images
    All reports so far on the UGQs that I have read indicate superb quality of workmanship. All reports I have read on the HG over a longer period of time indicate the same. The prices are very close once you adjust for collars. The HG has the advantage of 900FP vs 850FP, so with the same amount of down and with the same size, that should give a bit more loft.

The Zep is 77X49(3773 sq.in) and 25 oz.
    The Inc is 78X44(3442 sq.in) and 22.5 oz. Both are speced with 12 oz of down, but again with 900 down and slightly smaller size, I would expect a bit more loft with the HG, and noticeably wider coverage with the Zep, for those that need that. Both have 9 two inch baffles.

The HG has the leg shelf, which seems worthwhile to me in a dedicated UQ.

Do they both have a channel suspension? The UGQ does, and I think the HG does plus some other suspension tricks. Personally, especially in a full length, I prefer the JRB style non-channel, but to each his own.

To me, the big dif at the moment seems to be the extra cost option of resist down on the UGQ. At least for the person that wanted to pay up for that, that would seem to be the biggest dif.

Hard to go wrong with either.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I don't have experience with either, but my UGQ Zeppelin is on its way to me presently.

I had the opportunity to meet Paul at the First Annual Black Hills HF Hang a few weeks ago. While he couldn't bring a quilt for me at the time, he took time to show me his gear, how it works, features, set up and so on. Then he inspected my DangerBird 72 as he'd never seen one, and watched how my JRB Nest works with the DB72. He didn't see any reason it wouldn't work. Other DB72 owners report satisfaction with how the Zep works for them so I ordered one.

I got to spend a day touring the sights with Paul and asked about his business. He is so quality conscious that he doesn't farm out or hire out his products to be made by others. He wants to know every stitch is right. I admire that.

I can't speak to other quilt manufacturers, but having gotten to know Paul at the hang, I have no hesitations in getting my gear from him. He goes the extra mile for people whether customers or not. He even brought some things to give away in an impromptu drawing. He's more about giving of himself and service than getting and greed. His workmanship is very top quality to boot.

I hope to get to know other vendors as well, Hammock Gear among them. I'm fortunate to have had this experience and thought I'd share my views.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    As stated ugq cost slightly less than hg in the full length. I must have gotten my Zepplin on the introductory price sale. As I remember there being a bigger difference. I am happy with my zeppelin. Hyoh.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    One vs. the other always makes me a little nervous, because like most things in life there are advantages and disadvantages to alternatives. I don't think you can go wrong with either. These fine folks pay close attention to detail and as part of our HF community they will readily address any concerns you may have.

I have seen both products and own a 20 degree phoenix. I think the most important thing is to ascertain what you need and which best fits your needs. Ultimately, it is mostly up to each of us to make appropriate decisions as to what to buy based on our needs more than which craftsman has the best product. When we do a good job of discerning, we make good decisions.
    Canoebie: I don't understand what you are trying to communicate and feel as if I am being upbraided for my post.

I am clear on what I want and I posted in order to find out which of the quilts will suit me best. You have advised me to ascertain what I need and which best fits my needs and this is why I posted in the first place. All good so far but you then go on to say I shouldn't be attempting to determine which vendor has the best product. What's the difference between "best fits your needs" and "best product" within the context of this thread?

I agree that the better we discern the better we are able to make good decisions - after all the better you are at perceiving differences the smarter you are. Am I somehow doing a poor job of discerning?

If you're unable to contribute to the discussion of the differences between the quilts then I don't know why you posted other than to admonish me. If this is the case then please re-explain where I am going wrong. I don't post often but I do want to be sure I don't upset anyone when I do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast