Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Full Time Out Doors Hammocking?

After another fabulous night's sleep out in the hammock again last night, only interrupted by my children waking me up at 10:00 am asking if I was coming inside, I asked my wife about putting a hammock in the bedroom for the winter. She, in all seriousness, told me I'm going to need to start looking at a winter hammock gear. I generally sleep best in cold environments, but am not sure how feasible this really is. Since I also enjoy winter sports, I'm hoping for a fairly cold snowy winter. With temperatures here already expected to dip into the 30s this week, it seems my wish for a heavy winter may come to pass.

So, after perusing old threads here on hammock forum, I'm still left wondering if there are any full time out of doors hammockers here. Do any of you sleep outside full time, and anyone crazy enough to do it in colder climates? I would have access to dry gear as needed, but would want it to still be practical and am looking for suggestions, recommendations, and ideas.

Michael

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    You'll see Shugs gear hung in his videos outside AND he'll relegate himself to the hammock in the negative numbers. Best to check your gear out where you can warm up OR where they can at least easily find your corpse-sickle.

Tell ya what, it would be nice to have the gear and to set up outside on the occasional weekend. But it sure is nice to get out of the hammock, stumble off to the bathroom and then go back without trying to keep warm. I'd get the gear but put some hooks in the basement as well.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, Shug's series of how-to videos covers cold weather hammocking pretty well.

I'd only add that over the long term, condensation collecting in your gear and freezing will be a big problem, especialy around your feet and head. That is, of course, if you don't bring your quilts into the house to dry each night.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'm not outdoors full time, but would love to be if we had the space and trees....I do hang in the unfinished attic in the winter as much as possible, until hubby gets too frustrated and I have to come down for "visits" . It isn't heated and I love it. I've been working on trying to get rid of our beds for over a year now to no avail. Good luck to you, have fun and do what you want and can do, until the family starts getting on you. Come in for a few nights until everyone is satisfied and wants you out of their hair.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I was full time for a few months right after my daughter was born. Wife, newborn, and usually my 2 year old (at the time) son would squeeze me out. I took to just heading upstairs to the hammock.

Hung in our upstairs guestroom. We turn the heat off upstairs so it was always nice a cool.

I've been thinking about putting a few eyes in the family room so I can hang and watch movies. The wife isn't too happy about that.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One of my daughters already sleeps in a hammock full time in the house, but the wife doesn't want one in our bedroom. The basement already houses the laundry area, storage and my workshop, and all the "extra" space is supposed to be converted into another bedroom and bathroom for the oldest child later this year.

I've got several options in the back yard including a large play structure I often hang from. I could potentially hang under one of the large sections for protection from snow load. I also have a gazebo in the opposite corner of the yard, but since it is visible from the front of the property, it's not ideal.

I figured condensation would be an issue with extended cold weather hammocking. Although I would be able to run the gear through the dryer as needed, I would want to limit this as much as possible, preferably no more that weekly, just to keep it manageable.

The attic idea is interesting. I have a old home, originally built in the 1880's that has a large unfinished attic. I have considered a variety of ideas for that space, but never done anything with it. The attic is currently only accessible from a closet in one of the kids rooms, but I was considering adding a pull down stair case on the main second floor landing to allow us better access for storage. Adding a hammock could make that an option, though I'm still interested in out doors ideas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been outside in my RidgeRunner for about 3 weeks now...with the occasional night inside to keep me out of trouble with the lady. Been loving it!

However, I do not go to work 6-7 days a week just for fun. I work hard to pay the devil his due in the form of rent. As long as I'm working, my permanent sleeping room will be just that; a room with a roof that doesn't flap in the breeze!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    I don't full time hammock (yet) but have been spending at least a few nights a week in mine since the spring when I got it. Supposed to hit 5* (41F*) tonight, will be one of the colder ones so far. I just use my pad and some blankets and I'm good to go!

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_kayaker View Post
    ... Supposed to hit 5* (41F*) tonight, will be one of the colder ones so far. I just use my pad and some blankets and I'm good to go!
    You're just a few hours east of me. I'm really looking forward to the cooler weather tonight - it should be around 36F (2C) here. I've got the underquilt ready, heavy top quilt, and the tarp set close. I'm considering making a heavy down set for winter conditions, and an enclosed sock, with a back up location selected in doors (DivaB's attic suggestion has me thinking...)

If conditions are bad enough, I could try sleeping in my bed on occasion, it's the only bed I actually find comfortable enough to bother with.

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Back in 2009 my long time camping partner decided he wanted to see what it would be like to camp for a full year. He took a sabbatical from life and literally lived in the Cherokee National Forest full time.
    (It was great for me as well because it gave me an excuse to visit him every couple weeks for a couple of days at a time.)

Forest regulations stipulate that one must not occupy a campsite for more than 14 days so he had to move around periodically. (This is actually a good regulation because it keeps people from building semi-permanent shanty structures out of plywood and such.)

He started off backpacking and sleeping in a hammock, but after a few weeks had settled into car camping and found that he preferred a cot under a simple tarp. It was just easier to hop up, stoke the fire, take a whiz, etc. He was able to lie flat and was still off the ground.

One interesting thing about his experience was the change of seasons. He started his odyssey in mid-August with summer weight sleeping bag, nylon clothes, Crocs and flip-flops. As autumn came he was into a 20 degree bag and starting to wear wool. By winter he was using his Exped down filled air mattress and a -20 degree mountaineering bag in a canvas wall tent (still on a cot). In March came a transition back to the 20 degree bag and out in the open on a cot under a tarp. By June he was back to the 40 degree bag and nylon pants.

His whole existance revolved around natural sunlight. The only real chore was gathering firewood. Free time was filled by wildlife photography and practicing polyrhythms on a frame drum.

He is now back to his normal life as a professional piano player in the New York City area, but remembers his time in the woods fondly and would recommend it to all who could tolerate and appreciate the experience. I'm trying to figure how I can get away to try it for myself, but with two kids in college, a mortgage and bills to pay, I can't get away just yet.
    But,.......someday!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast