Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WCT
    Insulation
    Under/overquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Question 20 degree Burrow wide/long or regular?

I have a 20 degree Incubator which has been great. I'm about to get a corresponding Burrow and am wondering from the Hammock Forum consumer base if it is advisable to get it wider than the 50" standard or longer than the 74" length. I am 5'11" and 185 lbs. I have been using a sleeping bag and with the colder months could really save some weight with the overquilt. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hi Suspender. Just got a 20 degree Burrow from Adam a few days ago. First of all I must give kudos to hammockgear for a great product. This thing is a work of art, buttery soft, and leaves me praying for cold weather! Slept out with it twice already.
    But to your questions, as a comparison, I'm 5'7" and 175, a bit barrel chested at 44". The standard width works ok for me. Each side tucks in around me just fine. As for the length, it's designed to come up to your neck. Doing the math you should be ok, but see what the tall guys say.
    Also as a weight comparison, I ordered mine in 10D fabric and it scaled at 17.2 oz without stuff sack; 17.7 oz with it. That's about a 4 oz savings over the 21 oz listed weight.
    No matter your choice, enjoy your new quilt. It's an outstanding piece of kit.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am 6'2" and got the long. If your worried, give Adam a call. That's what I did. He will give the best advise. I know he did with me.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You'll be fine with the standard size quilt, it's kind of a trust thing if you haven't ever slept in a top quilt but not to worry.

David

There are a couple things to consider here, the standard Burrow length is 74", so just a hair over 6'! Now for reference I am 5'9" 190# and I had my quilts cut 1 baffle short as I don't like pulling the quilt over my head, and I found that when I did all the condensation from my breath went into the quilt and caused a little de-lofting (is that a word??) over a few days! So I figured since I don't like doing this and I wear a hood (JRB down hood in real cold) and I have a down hat (black rock) that I wear to bed when I don't need the JRB hood, I had Adam cut the top baffle off, saving weight!

My quilt cut short fits me absolutely "PERFECT" I am able to tuck it around my neck/shoulders or snug that baby up tight and keep in the warmth. I found that I have no down compression in the footbox as I feel that this is due to the design that Adam created.

Also IMHO the 50" wide quilt is plenty wide for me, but I have restless leg syndrome and I move my legs all over the place "ALL" night so I had Adam make the footbox a little wider for me and reduce the overall taper of the quilt!

End product "PERFECT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So where was I going with all this..........The Burrow is one of the wider TQ's on the market, and there are some that are narrower, the Black Mamba is one of those and while in a hammock many find that they don't need a wider TQ as the underquilt wraps up too or around the shoulders and as long as the TQ meets the UQ on the hammock (if you can picture this)!

The standard Burrow fit's a wide range of people, but, if you feel that for some reason you may want it wider I suggest (as another already has) to give Adam a call and discuss your thoughts and interests with him, he's got a lot of experience and is a taller and broader shouldered fellow, so he has a better perspective on it! But mostly he wants you to be happy and satisfied with your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm 6'1" and a hair below 200# but with bird legs. I make my top quilts only 40" wide (measured after lofted). There's no way ai could go to ground with these quilts, but I find them just right for a hammock. A bit of care is required to make sure they are tucked in.
    So, don't hesitate to buy a 50" wide quilt!

I've been making my quilts 78" long, but always felt they were a bit too long. I'm going to follow CrankyBear's example and go with a bit shorter quilt and hood combo. I think 74" would be a comfortable length for me, maybe even 72".
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts