WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks

Quilts For Very Tall People

Im 6' 6'' tall and I'm in the market for a good LIGHTWEIGHT QUILT around 20-30 degrees and either a full length or 3/4 length. I was looking at the Warbonnet Yeti three season. At 12.5 oz its light and designed down to 20 degrees. However how far down my body will that go? I have light pads and stuff for my feet and legs but I was wondering what other tall guys who keep it lightweight do for their systems

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Nothing against Warbonnet but I had better luck with Hammock.Gear's 3/4. But Im sure many vendors will accomodate your height. Ive had custom 86" long T.Q's made in several temp ratings. The yeti (for me) came just past my butt. Where the Phoenix comes to the back of my knees. Its a battle between weight vs comfort vs fiddle factor of leg supplements. Weigh your leg insulation and see if it would be better just to get a little more quilt made and carry less extra...hard to pack stuff.

Im 6'7" btw.

Ive used pads/foam/insulation to supplement my legs.....once its real cold >20....I now think.its better to.just get a full length U.Q.
    Last edited by 2Tall; 09-15-2012 at 20:19.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i'm only 6'1" so i really don't qualify as a tall guy but i know that Wilderness Logics make so really nice "oversize" quilts and hammocks.
    and they are good at customizing any length you may require.
    their quality is great and customer service is tops.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Also some things to look at. When you get a U.Q. dialed in it shrinks a bit pending your desired fit. Also...dont try to keep up with the "Mediums" on weight. You can choose lighter fabrics...nanoseeum baffels...etc. I have a M50 40° set of quilts and think it adds somewhat of a vapor barrier effect and can get it down into the 30's easily. Ymmv. But its less comfortable in warmer temps where I think a 7d would shine...being more breatheable. The Vendors on here can brak it down to you like a science. Most if not all are happy to chat it up about your purchase. Pick their brain...read...pick their brain some more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Also some things to look at. When you get a U.Q. dialed in it shrinks a bit pending your desired fit. Also...dont try to keep up with the "Mediums" on weight. You can choose lighter fabrics...nanoseeum baffels...etc. I have a M50 40° set of quilts and think it adds somewhat of a vapor barrier effect and can get it down into the 30's easily. Ymmv. But its less comfortable in warmer temps where I think a 7d would shine...being more breatheable. The Vendors on here can brak it down to you like a science. Most if not all are happy to chat it up about your purchase. Pick their brain...read...pick their brain some more.
    Dialed in meaning when you tighten it up to contour to your body? How can I choose lighter fabrics? Meaning I tell a vendor to use such and such fabrics for a specific order, or make my own? What is a M50? Like the brand? Ymmv?
    I'm looking for a underquilt that i can use for a thru hike, would you have anything to recommend considering how tall you are as well?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Dialed in...yes, once you cinch the suspension it will change some in length/width. (Y.our M.ileage M.ay V.ary) Some vendors keep different fabrics other than 1.1 ripstop. Varying thickness/weight, DWR coatings etc M50 is a type of breatheble fabric which also has a dwr finish. Look on thruhiker.com under breatheable fabrics for an idea of M50.

For a thru hike you might ask around about down vs synthetic and how it relates to being on longer trips. How well they deal with the weather...damage etc. Durability is another factor. Sone lighter options may leave you out in the cold if fabrics are too delicate. (No experience jus a thought).

As far as reccomendations. Ive just always went with hammock gear. Not that any other Vendor is less capable of producing a great product. Why? Just who I called and I like harassing him with rediculous ideas and time frames. :-)

Again on a thru hike setup....look at other hammockers setups. A polite message to some of them may shed some light. May want One wide range (temp) U.Q. and two top quilts to better suit weather changes. Options galore.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Dialed in...yes, once you cinch the suspension it will change some in length/width. (Y.our M.ileage M.ay V.ary) Some vendors keep different fabrics other than 1.1 ripstop. Varying thickness/weight, DWR coatings etc M50 is a type of breatheble fabric which also has a dwr finish. Look on thruhiker.com under breatheable fabrics for an idea of M50.

For a thru hike you might ask around about down vs synthetic and how it relates to being on longer trips. How well they deal with the weather...damage etc. Durability is another factor. Sone lighter options may leave you out in the cold if fabrics are too delicate. (No experience jus a thought).

As far as reccomendations. Ive just always went with hammock gear. Not that any other Vendor is less capable of producing a great product. Why? Just who I called and I like harassing him with rediculous ideas and time frames. :-)

Again on a thru hike setup....look at other hammockers setups. A polite message to some of them may shed some light. May want One wide range (temp) U.Q. and two top quilts to better suit weather changes. Options galore.

thanks a lot for the help!

• + New Posts