UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i thought the hammock hangs were the live chat
    There ya go!!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    assorted Hennesy Hammocks
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i thought the hammock hangs were the live chat
    Thats actually one of the reasons I'm pro chat. I'm sure plenty of information gets exchanged at group hangs that never makes it to the forums, but most people wouldn't say anything about it taking away from the forums. I was an irc addict in college, and still hang out in a lot of the same channels. We've been chatting for 10 years and I've sent them wedding presents and knit sweaters for their babies. It's harder to build those relationships on forums. Its been my experience that in irc channels you use the subject as an ice breaker. (what kind of hammock do you have, how long have you been hammocking, ect) Then things move to more general life chat. I think chat rooms tend to bee off topic 90% of the time.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Guys - if you have good input for or against the chatroom, then please post it and we'll consider it. But any more no-content posts about draconian moderation or links to grumpy men in videos don't add anything to the chat debate, so they'll be removed. We like to keep the forum content-rich and respectful. We're just grumpy that way.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///

Angry

Well, if the shoe fits...

Just jeff, my initial post was done in a spirit to try and make these forums a better place and more consistent with a forum and not a wiki which you seem determined to make this site into. The second post about the "grumpy old man" was intended to be funny, however it appears that funny is not something acceptable to this site.

Lock the thread, delete the thread, do your worst. I'm done here. To the original poster - Keep up the hard work banging your head against the wall. Someone will drag these old farts kicking and screaming into the 21st century someday.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I do not care one way or another. I do not use the chat, at all I do not like it, however some people do.

I use another site that has a wide range of people using and viewing with ages from early teens to late 80's. There is a chat, but somehow it is not used very much, you might have 800 or 900 people on line and 6 people in chat. Almost always people in chat are irritated with something that someone has posted on the main board.

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    As one of those "older" guys, I am truly sorry a previous poster quit on a different thread. As to chat, I'm moderately for it. It can be an enhancement just like gathering around the camp fire to do what people do when in small groups. This can be a great thing. Also could be expanded into impromptu teaching sessions, and all those other interesting things. I did a quick survey at work today asking a lot of folks from 20s to 50s. Out of approx 2dzn no one was a current chatter, a couple had IRC in college, most had been on a forum at some point and about 1/3rd were currently members of a forum. This wasn't scientific, just interesting. Guess this is what you can do if you don't quit

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    I have to interject on this a bit.

Another forum I belong to and am on frequently is Hookahpro.com and it is setup almost the same as this (so i think that the chat box at the top of the forum page would be very easy to make happen, but thats an outsiders perspective....) and it has a chat box at the top of the forums page, and i use it frequently. On the box itself it says "Ask your questions in the forums. The ChatBox is for small talk." and for the most part, thats how it works. every once in a while someone will ask a quick, simple question and itll get answered but 99% of the time its just for general BS'ing around and talking whatever, or asking direct questions (ie: "Hey REV, how you liking that new tarp?" ). Normally its "user enforced" that no major questions go answered, and I know that I have told several new users who were asking real questions that needed long answers that the chat box was not the place for it and to post in the forums. I know that the guys here could keep most of the talk on the forums and just have a place to chat back and forth with each other in an easier format.

Id like to have it here, even as a test run, just to talk with some people about different topics, and the same rules would apply (language, politics etc)

my $.02
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I had posted my simple opinion to a simple poll earlier in this and find myself going back to this after covering almost the same thing in another thread.
    HYOH
    Hike your own hike.
    Hang your own hammock.
    Hate your old Hammock Forum.

Hope you find happiness Neagling.
    Sorry your OP got highjacked Chard.

Mods please feel free to delete my rant if necessary. Getting a little on in years and find it a little bit harder to restrain myself at times.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not sure how much if at all I'd use a chat forum option here but wouldn't hurt to have it available. There's obviously some interest out there. Not sure how much more work it would require by the site owners/mods to implement and maintain?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    there was a time i would be all for chat... in a way i would like to see it in the donating member section
    but i can live without it

i find PMing friends the best way to chat off topic and this way we don't all need to be online
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast