HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Hammock Forums Live Chat Forum? Interesting? (e.g. HF on Teamspeak)

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone ever gave thought to a online chat channel for Hammock Forums structured just like the home HF site.

I regularly use Teamspeak for gaming and thought it might be a great new way for people to take interacting on the forums to a new level. Having channels that replicate the HF topics could keep the discussions focussed on the matter at hand.

Also, I've made many good "online" friendships using an application like Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Skype..

Just throwing it out there. Hammock forums is already such an amazing site and I truly believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. This was just an idea.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This has been brought up several times before. It's an interesting idea, but we've never thought it was the right fit for HF. Chat is a good option for people that are doing something at the same time, like gaming. But it's not really a good fit for sharing info.

With chats, the members that aren't online at the time don't benefit from the discussions as they do on a forum. Since there's no running record to refer back to, the information shared there is just 'one time', rather than able to be referenced.

Also, chats tend to wander wildly in topic rather than being focused. That can be frustrating for both readers, and for moderators.

I know that you mean that a chat session would be in addition to the forum rather than a replacement, but if you want to talk to another member in real-time, a direct chat session is a fine method (Google Talk, Skype, AIM, Teamspeak, etc). On-topic discussions would benefit everyone by being had in the forum threads though.

JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I've thought about this too. I was once very active on a similar forum (very different topic, but very similar environment), and I thought a chat worked very well. If off-topicness is the concern, why not make it accessible only to donating members? Then it going off topic from time to time wouldn't be an issue since donating members get off-topic forums anyway, and moderators would only need to make sure things stay civil, a much easier task especially on forums like these.

Just kind of thinking aloud here since I really enjoy chats on forums.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I played with the idea of setting up an IRC chat room a few days ago, but didn't bother. I think that might be a more viable option than TS or Vent, though.

Enjoy having my $0.02

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    That's a thought, too. Someone just make an unaffiliated IRC chat room. It's been way too many years since I've dealt with IRC to even consider that though. Lol.

Hammock
    assorted Hennesy Hammocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I played with the idea of setting up an IRC chat room a few days ago, but didn't bother. I think that might be a more viable option than TS or Vent, though.

Enjoy having my $0.02
    I'd go for that over the other options. I don't like most web broswer based chat programs. I think an unaffiliated hammock irc channel would free the mods from having to deal with extra stuff, and it would give people who wanted to chat a place to chat.

Just a thought but what about a twitter to keep up with the latest on the forums for those of us who use the mobile apps on the go.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been on several forums that had a live chat function and it ended up causing less activity in other specific forums. Not a good fit where people are constantly searching for info and sharing new discoveries.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Chat would be great. It gives a chance for the members to talk in real time. It doesn't slow posting in forums, I know from being an admin on a motorcycle forum for five years. Generally, members come to the forum to read the threads and get info, but the chat becomes like a "lounge" area for people to hang out. As long as it is moderated, it's a great thing. Being able to speak to people like Dutch, Brandon, Adam, etc etc would be a really cool thing

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Not for me but then I don't facebook, twitt, text or even use my cell that much. If it wasn't for the Forum I probably wouldn't be on the computer as much as I am. Probably has something to do with my age.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast