Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Naegling View Post

And if I could put in my own 2c here about change to the site, I for one feel like an outsider many times due to draconian tactics employed by some of the moderators in limiting any change or deviation to what they personally think the site should be. I've had threads moved and removed because one moderator or another didn't personally like the thread - even though it did not even come close to violating the TOS. No explanation, not PM, nothing. I bring this up, not to beat on the mods -who are doing their best I'm sure- but it can feel like getting hit by a sledge hammer around here if you're not in the inner circle. Again, just my opinion as a donating member, and I'm trying to keep it relevant to this thread about change and additions to the site.
    Hammockforums is not a democracy, it's run by a benevolent dictatorship. All hail the mods! Donating members do not have more of a voice- just a few extra perks as a small thanks for chipping in.

This is a *friendly* *forum* about *hammocks* - anything else starts to deviate from the mission of this place. It's not designed to be "THE HAMMOCK COMMUNITY" - that existed before the forum, see White Blaze hammock subforum, and Ed Speer's email list. If you want to do hammock community stuff without the forum, go right ahead. But if it's about the forum, it's up to the mods.

(FYI, I believe that after the first couple of moved threads the mods stop notifying the user and just move them, to reduce their work load. Moderating is an unpaid position.)

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    My immediate reaction, acknowledging a lack of time and thought, is that a chat is real time and would exclude many. I love being able to check in for five minutes and obtain the information I select and that has been shared. I don't have time for chat nor the interest. I do so appreciate the information I can glean from this site, and would be concerned about chat diverting energy and ideas to a live forum where they could not be captured for all. I view it as more of a social event than creating a forum. Just my $.02.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    This is a cool place, but WAY behind the times. It could be a lot more fun...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm with AngrySparrow. It's not a good fit for our community. We are all about sharing ideas and the forum documents those ideas fairly well. The forum gives everyone access, not just those who may happen to be involved in a chat.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    With respect, you've been on HF less than a week now. I'm not sure that you have the perspective here to make a judgement about how well rounded the community here is.

HF isn't run like many other sites are, and we think that's okay.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hey all,

Let me start by saying that I think I speak for everyone when I say I truly appreciate the hard work and commitment of the HF moderators and developers and that without their efforts, there wouldn't be the kind of fantastic hammocking community we have now. It is my go to website and have spent countless hours reading, watching videos and looking at pictures about the great hoppy of hammocking.

When I first posed this question, I was interested in finding out what the HammockForum community thought of the idea since my own experience with on line chat has only been positive.

But I also want to respect the HF team's vision for their site and don't feel it would be right to do an end-run around them and establish any kind alternate hammocking chat without their full endorsement and participation. I think that would only be fair.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    My immediate reaction, acknowledging a lack of time and thought, is that a chat is real time and would exclude many. I love being able to check in for five minutes and obtain the information I select and that has been shared. I don't have time for chat nor the interest. I do so appreciate the information I can glean from this site, and would be concerned about chat diverting energy and ideas to a live forum where they could not be captured for all. I view it as more of a social event than creating a forum. Just my $.02.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    This is a cool place, but WAY behind the times. It could be a lot more fun...
    It's not my intention to stir the pot, yet I feel compelled to comment.

This forum is an excellent resource of ideas and information accessable to folks 24/7, regardless of country/time zone, or ability to check on a frequent basis. Although it has many wonderful social components, it is not Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network.

There are great values in chats, social networks and the like. I use them and enjoy them for what they are designed. PM provides a means for personal contact and many of us have our additonal contact information posted in the event that more of a conversation makes sense.

Please forgive me if this is too blunt, but the purpose of this forum is not to be cool or a fun place, those are wonderful benefits, but not the purpose. Nearly 6 years ago, members of the Whiteblaze forum "created HammockForums.net to be the go-to source for hammock camping information", and that mission continues to be a great success. My hope is that such a mission is not diluted by the loss of great conversations and ideas that are chatted but not posted.

For many, the reality is that the skills, techniques, and ideas learned here become "a lot more fun" when actually put to use in the woods. That's where the real cool times are to be found.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Chats have their place and can be a great way to communicate, but I also wonder if the "gurus" would be able, both time and effort, to say the same thing on multiple forums. With world wide membership ranging from 60 yr old newbies like me, to 20/30 ish old timers, this format keeps knowledge in a specific location. The problem with other social media is the difficulty in finding already disseminated information without a rehash or lack of words. I have several Knotty style DIY hammocks for me and family and if he'd told that during a chat session would he have had the willingness to support HF? I don't know. Every day people lurk, watch videos, and then join. That was my track. Chats tend to, by their nature, be more intimate and less accommodating to those just looking. If there is a way to keep the energy in the HF, I'm for it. Otherwise....

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    Hammockforums is not a democracy, it's run by a benevolent dictatorship. All hail the mods! Donating members do not have more of a voice- just a few extra perks as a small thanks for chipping in.

This is a *friendly* *forum* about *hammocks* - anything else starts to deviate from the mission of this place. It's not designed to be "THE HAMMOCK COMMUNITY" - that existed before the forum, see White Blaze hammock subforum, and Ed Speer's email list. If you want to do hammock community stuff without the forum, go right ahead. But if it's about the forum, it's up to the mods.

(FYI, I believe that after the first couple of moved threads the mods stop notifying the user and just move them, to reduce their work load. Moderating is an unpaid position.)

TH
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    +1

I personally appreciate the site the way it is and don't feel its behind the times.

Bill
    Just an old guy in the mnts.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tree2Tree Switchback..Pink Panther
    Tarp
    AHE Toxiway Lylac!
    Insulation
    Golite top/BF UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    I like the idea as well. Sometimes when posting the feel of the chat is lost when typing. I know sometimes I cannot get out exactly what I want to say. I wouldn't want a replacement of the forums either but what a great idea for enhancing the experince.

Tweety
    LIVE.. LOVE.. LAUGH... AND DRIVE BF CRAZY!!

Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///
    Reading this thread I couldn't help but remember this from Saturday Night Live:

Grumpy Old Man.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Naegling View Post
    Reading this thread I couldn't help but remember this from Saturday Night Live:

Grumpy Old Man.
    Very much indeed lol

Images
    i thought the hammock hangs were the live chat
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast