Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Indoor hammock - metal studs

Hello

I want to apologize in advance if my question has already been answered, but I could use some help which I haven't been able to find.

I wish to hang a hammock in my room which is nothing but drywall. Behind the drywall there are metal studs which from my browsing the web doesn't make my idea any easier. The same goes for the celling. I found this thread where a user: Gary R uses two studs (wood) to split the weight. Will this be doable on metal studs perhaps if I use 3-4 studs.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=indoor&page=6

Another solution I thought about was to drill a hole into the frame of my door and installing an eyebolt there. Where the other end would go I haven't figured out yet.

But anyway, if anyone has a brilliant idea on how to hang a hammock in drywall/metal studs which doesn't involve a stand I would love you forever.

Jonas
    Denmark

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nothing more than a layman here, but my memory of working in the construction world says those metal studs are just about worthless when it comes to lateral forces. I remember seeing those things laying around bent up beyond use on construction sites. I don't think I would attempt to load them with a hammock.

I would look into building a stand instead. Then again, I'm old so bones don't heal as fast as they used to.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    What is in your ceiling? If you have wooden floor joists then you can drill and screw into them. If you have concrete floors, like in many apartments, you will need a stand. Cannibal is correct about those metal suds they are useless at withstanding lateral forces.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I have never installed them myself, but from what I have seen I would agree with Cannibal. There fairly thin sheet metal so I don't think they would do well.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

thank you for your replies. The celling is drywall as well so not much help there. Nothing but metal studs behind the drywall there.

I might have to just forget about sleeping in my hammock then.

I found this kind of bolt : http://www.google.com/imgres?q=toggl...w=1280&bih=738

People around the web suggest using this to hang televisions on drywall with metal studs. Does any of you think this might be a solution? or can flat screens and hammocks not be compared.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    A flat screen TV mounted close to the wall has most of its force on the vertical direction which the wall can generally support. The hammock has most of its load on the horizontal plane, pulling out on the wall, this force drywall and metal studs will not handle. Another way to think of it is that the TV is pushing mostly down and the hammock is pulling in on the wall. Sorry i can't be more help, I love sleeping in my hammock or reading at night. You can make some pretty out of the way stands if you put your mind to it. I have seen a corner stand that had the hammock under a large shelf, the hammock was easy to get out of the way, and the shelf was high enough that you didn't have to crouch under it. It might be worth some research.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

perhaps I should look into making a stand. But for now my bed might just have bought itself a few months extra , at least for now.

Thank you for your help!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Definetely make or buy a stand....or try pulling your wall down.

Steel studs are good for holding up drywall and thats about as far as you should push it. Unless it was engineered w/ doubled up heavy duty steel studs? Generally tho, there are single studs.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    If you have access to the attic space. Lay a 2" x 6 or 8" x 12' on top of the ceiling joist spanning 5 to 6 of the joist and screw the 2" x to the joist to keep it from shifting. Drill through the ceiling and joist and install long eyebolts. Washers and nuts both sides of the 2 x. We used this method years ago to support a porch swing and its still there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    At least with a hammock stand you can break it down and pack it away without having to worry about tearing your house (or rental) apart. Do a search on Craigslist...I've been finding a ton of hammock stands people are trying to get rid of at great prices. Other than that, metal fencing or lumber are other options. I personally am using a metal stand and I like that I can move it around without having to install another anchor. (Those toggle bolts you posted aren't designed for the kind of force you're planning on applying and definitely will not work.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast