some basic nylon questions i need answered before i proceed.

Hi all. I amnew to the hiking/hammock scene and want to make a few. My questions are ... I am having a lot of trouble finding material locally so I need to go online. You don't get much info on some sites. What is meet minimum weight/thickness I can go? I understand a 1.9 is good but if I get a good deal in thinner how thin can I go before I need to double up? Also do I want the hammock waterproof our just resistant? Also same question for a fly, if its water resistant, will I be ok with it as long a it is sloped our do I need to go waterproof? Thanks for reading. Ryan

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    See below. My opinion and a question.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Greene View Post
    What is meet minimum weight/thickness I can go? I understand a 1.9 is good but if I get a good deal in thinner how thin can I go before I need to double up? How much do you weigh?

Also do I want the hammock waterproof our just resistant? You do not want waterproof. Most of the fabrics you find will have a DWR of some sort(water resistant). This is fine.

Also same question for a fly, if its water resistant, will I be ok with it as long a it is sloped our do I need to go waterproof? You want waterproof here. 30d silnylon is the norm, but there are also some other more pricey, lighter options out there. Since your new, stick with silnylon

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Welcome to HF.

Here's a link to a hammock maker with a good guideline for selecting fabric weights for hammocks. http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks101.php

There are several good sources for outdoor fabrics. My favorites are DIY Gear Supply and Quest Outfitters. OWF, Inc and Thru Hiker.com are some others.

Silnylon is very good for tarps due to it's light weight and water "proofness". Polyurethane (PU) coated fabrics are heavier and the coating will wear off eventually. Cuben is waterproof, very light, and expensive.

Hammock fabric needs to be breathable. DWR will work, but uncoated is better IMO.

Ok great info guys, thanks. I weigh 200#. I'm undecided on a structural Roseline but I deed want a strong enough hammock that I can keep my gear in if need be. Id like to r eventually do a net on it like the hh clone on this site but I need a hammock and fly first...

So now that I gave the important info... Whet should I go? And is silnylon water proof? Doors it go by any other names? Is that what parachutes are made with? Again thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    You should be good with a single layer 1.9 or double 1.1. Bug season is just about over for the year, so a net can wait until Spring. Under insulation is the next thing you'll need to address.

Silnylon (silicone impregnated nylon ripstop or sil) isn't technically waterproof, but because the fabric is impregnated with silicone the water repellant properties won't wear off over time. If stretched repeatedly, silnylon can leak because the microspaces between the fibers enlarge. For most people this is never an issue. It's the closest, lightest, least expensive, material to "waterproof" you'll find for a tarp. It's pretty durable with care and can be easily patched.

Keep reading here on HF. Your questions have been asked before, and there's lots of answers. You'll find there is no one, right, way to hammock camp. Many of us are constantly experimenting with our setups. It's a process. If you can, get to a group hang (found in the trip planning forum). Meeting folks and seeing all the different ways to hang is a great way to learn. Check out Shug's 10 part Intro to Hammocks on Youtube if you haven't already seen it. He covers all the bases. If you like to read, check out "The Ultimate Hang", a great book for beginners with current info on gear and methods.

I started on Shugs stuff but actually had forgotten about them. I just want to get going on one. Being new, I probably won't do much if it gets much later in the season. I want to get already one woods trip in but I'm waiting on the hammock for it. I like the pocket ideas for a double layer hammock. I'm going to try to find some plans for one. I like the hh clone though and may stock to that for starters.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The easiest hammock to make is this one:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

And it becomes much more functional when you do this to it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=Stretch+side

If you have no sewing skills, it's a 3 hour job.. with practice, you can make one of these in an hour...

BTW: You'll be making multiple hammocks... if you're in a rush, just go to the local fabric store and get what you need, (Joann's carries 1.9, get a coupon or their online coupon app)

or you can buy from a number of suppliers here, who are reasonable and offer quick shipping...

My recommendation: if you're 6' or so, and not looking for ultralight weight, make a 10' DL 1.1 so you can use your pad to sleep on...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts