Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Howdy from up on the Pittwater. Things have been pretty quiet this year amongst the Sydney hangers after a good few group outings last year and before. Work, life, interstate moves, and weather seem to have put people out of contention over the last months. In my own case every time we try to plan an outing lately it gets derailed by something or other... Hopefully now spring is here something will get organised again here on HF, so if you're interested to check out various gear options you may get a chance.

My own suggestions and experience since getting my first hammock about a year and a half ago (YMMV):

1. You will need a bugnet most if not all year round in the greater Sydney area.
    2. If you are a back or side sleeper you will be good to go in a gathered-end hammock, but if you prefer to sleep on your stomach you may find a bridge is more comfortable (though they generally weigh more).
    3. If you go with a UQ from the outset, there's no need to get a double-layer hammock. UQs are way more comfortable than pads IMHO. For me, a 2/3 UQ plus a footpad is fine down to about 5°C, so I'm looking at getting a full-length UQ before next winter. For many folks they find going below freezing is fine without needing a full-length UQ.
    4. A TQ is not only lighter than carrying a sleeping bag, it's much easier to get in and out of in in a hammock and I find it more comfortable as well since it doesn't restrict you from rolling over.
    5. I found having a small pillow in the hammock made it way more comfortable. The pillow needs to be connected to the end of the hammock or ridgeline so it doesn't keep slipping down.
    6. Tarps do more than shelter you from the wind and rain, they also stop possums jumping off the trees into your hammock.
    7. I reckon casuarinas make the best hanging trees round here: strong, smallish diameter, no widowmakers, no sticky sap, generally near to water, and little undergrowth under them.
    8. Be warned you may never want to sleep on the ground again.
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Custom
    G'day from Melbourne to fellow Aussie . I joined a little while ago but hadn't yet posted. Got my Clark NX-250 with Z-liner last month. Slept in the back yard 3 nights so far including last night. Love it. No stiff back and actually pretty warm. Didn't care much for the stock suspension rope so have swapped that out. Bought some 4mm Dyneema and made whoopie slings, used a climbing loop strap through the hamock, carabiner to that for the whoopie and acts like a drip ring (not sure if that will be needed long term), 2nd carabiner attached to the tree strap. Not the lightest of suspensions for sure but I'll keep experimenting. The funny thing is I look forward to getting into the hammock where I hated sleeping on the ground so much I wouldn't go camping. Now I can't wait to get out there again. I may be heading up to Sydney in the next month so if you want to test a Clark let me know. I'll be in the Manly Vale/Brookvale area.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi Marwood, I'm heading down to Sydney for a break and to do some hiking sometime in November. Any chance of organising a hang? Would love to meet up with some of you's while I'm down that way.

Hi - thanks for the warm welcome guys! Nice to see to many other keen Aussies. I have beeen influenced to look into this after reading all the great stuff on www.bushwalk.com, by afficionados such as Phillipsart, Photohiker, Bluegum Mic etc

So far I am tending towards purchasing a WB Blackbird, probably a double 1.1, and a cuben 4 door tarp. Becuse it gets so stinking hot, we prefer NOT to camp or bushwalk in midsummer - I'd rather be near a beach or having a glass of cold white wine and a BBQ! Where I am it gets well below freezing each night though in autumn - spring, and I feel the cold, so will be getting a full length UQ - looking at LeighLo's ones and Hammock Gear's 20*F Incubator. I have a couple of good different season sleeping bags already so for the time being intend to use one of them upside down with just the footbox zipped.

Before I make the (financial) plunge though, I'm going to spend a couple of nights jury rigged with the basic hammock we already have, on the back verandah, just to make sure it's the way to go for me. When we hike I wake up every morning with a sore back in present 'ground dweller' mode, despite good gear.

When I get my kit together it might be nice to meet up and go somewhere to 'hang around' for a bit. I'm near Picton, semi-rural outskirts south of Sydney.

PS I like the 'junior' member status, makes me feel like a kid!
    Last edited by Hanginaround; 09-18-2012 at 01:05. Reason: spelling boo boo

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Welcome, enjoy, there's great stuff here.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben/TRG sil
    Insulation
    HG burrow/leighlo
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Welcome :-)

I've sadly moved up north to Brissy otherwise I would have gladly let you have a spin with my gear/organised a hang. Your more than welcome to pop up the sunny state any time though :-)

I too will be back in Syd in November, but only for a fleeting visit but Im hoping I can tee up a future trip down to catch up with the lovely Sydney crew for a hang :-)

Enjoy your researching. There's an amazing wealth of knowledge on this wonderful site :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12