Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    An underquilt will change your life.
    +1 I strongly agree with this! If I didn't have an UQ, I wouldn't still be hammocking! Fighting with a foam pad, inside a hammock in freezing temperatures, is the worst camping experience I have ever had! You won't regret getting an UQ! Pull the trigger, brother! Maddog
    Last edited by Maddog67; 09-18-2012 at 09:37.
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    <----underquilt lover

The best way to describe the difference is to lay in your hammock for a while without a pad and see how comfy you are. With an underquilt you get that feeling all night long.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I like pads when it is just cool enough to need something under me, but still pretty warm. I can't stand an UQ at that temp, because it is usually too warm. I love my UQ when it gets cooler and cold. I also have the HH DJ and use the reflective pad with an UQ when it is really cold.

But to answer your question, YES AN UQ IS AWESOME!!!!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I actually WISH pads could work for me, but I don't like the bulk in/on my pack and the coverage issue. I find a pad makes the hammock more comfortable, "ironing" out any ridges and wrinkles, a bit closer to sleeping in a bed. But the underquilt wins since I usually don't have to fiddle with it - just clip it on and you're good to go. Plus you can also suppement a UQ with a much smaller and thinner pad if you're pushing its temp rating.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Underquilts RULE. I have never used a pad, but did use a sleeping bag mod to an UQ, and the true UQ is a lot better. I do carry a pad, it makes my pack a little more ridged, and if I need it under my legs, I have it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It was once said on these here forums, that the difference between an underquilt and a pad is, the pad will keep you from being cold while an underquilt keeps you warm. That's about the best description I seen/heard yet; very accurate.

There are times that I wish I could develop a 'like' for pads. Just isn't the case for me. I sleep very warm to begin with and the pads make me sweat. I hike in weather that keeps most at home bundled in front of the fireplace. Waking up pre-soaked from sweat isn't my idea of fun, or safety.

Painful to spend, but worth every single dirty penny.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Get a UQ. At least a three season one (3/4 length, 30 or 40 degrees). I tried to sleep with out it and was cold when the air temp was still in the 50's F. I could not get the top quilt around me enough. So in the middle of the night, up to put on the UQ (lesson learned, ALWAYS put it on). I then was TOO HOT! And had to regulate using the TQ, my beanie, my silk bag liner. All very easy to do with OUT getting up again. So yeah, get the UQ and always use it (well, when it is like 80 degrees at night here in Texas.....maybe not). Regulate from inside the hammock.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

hope Neo doesn't see this thread
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Speaking for myself (and others), it appears most around here prefer the UQ. When I got into hammocking, I was committed to not using a pad. After nearly 100 nights of hanging, I can say that I have used UQs on 2 weekend treks, in which I was hanging with a friend and then my son, and between us I had only 1 winter and 1 summer UQ. I ended up using the summer UQ with a Gossamer Gear 1/4" pad, and I was fine at about 30°. But I can tell you that I am much more comfortable with the winter under quilt.

I first made a DIY quilt, which turned out so-so. And getting one and then a second underquilt made a huge difference in the comfort of my hammock sleep. But for me the real A-Ha moment was when I switched from a sleeping bag to a top quilt. Now THAT was a game changer. Even with that, I would, from a practical point of view, get an UQ before the TQ.

But back to your original question regarding the pad, I must add that there are some around here (Neo) who do prefer a foam pad. So to each their own. But based on everyone else's experiences (except Neo), you should give the underquilt a try before you decide.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I fought with a variety of pads over about ten nights in the back yard and then one night I encased my hammock in my sleeping bag (20° synthetic) like a sock (peapod style). It was the most comfortable night I had had in a hammock. The only problem was, given the temperature and humidity, my sleeping bag was completely soaked in condensation. It was at that point I decided I would have to try an UQ. I ended up with a HG Phoenix 20°. I carry a sit pad anyway, so I use that to insulate my legs on cooler nights. So far, I have been comfortable down to about 50° without additional insulation under my legs. Your mileage may vary. I really wanted the pad to work for me as my hiking buddy in New Hampshire prefers to stay in shelters, but alas, I fall into the UQ camp. I throw a NeoAir in my pack when I go to New Hampshire in case I wind up in a shelter as happened one night on my last adventure to the Whites.
    It did take a few nights and a few posts to figure out how to properly adjust the underquilt to eliminate cold spots and drafts. It also took some time to work out how to use the sit pad (and what sit pad) to insulate my lower legs. I love to play with things and experiment, and that is one of the reasons I moved off the ground in the first place.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast