HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings

First sort of actual hang!

I've done a few test runs with my hammock (exped asym zip), but mostly just set-up screwing around. I've been getting a bit stir-crazy the past week, and time and funds have not allowed an outing, so I set up in the yard. Took some thinking outside of the box, I'm using a tree from the neighbors yard (half the branches over-hang our place so I figure its all fair) and the "stump" support pillar on the house. Not the highest hang, so the ridge line on my HH is pretty tight (still can move it a bit though) Suspension is a kind of Frankenstein, stock tree strap and evenk hitch on the foot, and a dual ring type rig at the head. (the stock webbing looped around the post, then 2inch seatbelt doubled from that both ends running through rings with a half hitch. just avoiding knotting my webbing. stock line bight-bowline to the rings)

Didn't spend the night in it, but everything I left in it stayed dry (thermarest short trail mat and MEC equatorial dual temp bag) Napped in it yesterday, and this morning when work got postponed. (ironically I'm supposed to be taking down a marquee tent, and it rained)

So far it seems to be working really well for the napping, and I'm working out how to add a couple little things to customize for me. The stock tarp is going to work well as a sun-shade, but WOW does it start to look small as soon as it starts raining. I'm working on saving for a sewing machine (among other things)
    I've got an idea for a tarp design I'd like to try. Sort of a hybrid hex thing (probably already been done to death) with the non-zipper side being like the stock hennessy diamond (since its fairly well inaccessible anyway), and the other side a larger hex style to get more gazebo-y. I got the inspiration from the OldmanWinter pole mod.
    My two main concerns for the system are bugs, and torrential tropical rain, and right now the system seems pretty able to handle that, just so long as the rain stops before you have to get out.

I'm getting the feeling that the whole hammock thing as a system deals with humidity better than most tents, even ones with "lots" of venting.

Preaching to the choir here I know. I'm just stoked the have found a way to get it set up finally! So far the biggest problem I've run into, I lay down in it to see how to make it better, then I wake up and I've forgotten what I was sorting out!
    Last edited by Gadgetgeek; 09-17-2012 at 20:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sounds like you're getting dialed in. Falling asleep in your hammock is the best test. Watch out for the DIY bug. I hear its contagious.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you need to practice on real trees. Just go to a park or something and practice setting it up there.

I agree the stock HH tarp is a joke. I've used the stock tarp numerous times in straight-down rain and stayed dry as a bone. In a mild blowing rain, you can pitch it narrowly, where the tarp is right on top of the hammock, and stay fairly dry, but any kind of blowing precip you're gonna get wet.

It is a nice sun shade though.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    The nearest park, the trees are well over four feet diameter, I have a long tree strap, but not that long!
    Now I'm just wishing I had easy access to all the resources I had in Canada. Shipping stuff to Aus sucks, but I'm sure I'll work something out eventually.
    the DIY part of this forum could be bad, its giving me all kinds of ideas.....

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    DIY is definitely the way to go, especially of you are having an issue with hanging spots. I HIGHLY recommend the turtlelady or turtledog stands, as they allow you to hang wherever, whenever. I sleep fulltime in my DIY hammock in my turtledog stand and haven't looked at a bed the same way since. It's like looking for an apartment when you live in a castle.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    Hammocks are awesome!

• + New Posts