WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Gulf Island, Pirate's Cove, BC

Pirate's Cove was our northern most camp on an eight day trip to the Gulf Islands - east of Vancouver Island, BC. We couldn't ask for better weather and the trip leader wisely suggested we launch from Blackberry point early so we'd arrive at the cove by late morning. There were only two other kayaks on the beach when we arrived about 10:30 AM; by late afternoon the camp sites were full.

Amazing but true, Steve and I were the only guys. Seems the Canadian women think nothing for grabbing their gal friends, loading up a Double Kayak with tasty baked goods and other home comforts, and paddling about 5 miles across a channel to camp overnight.

I had the only hammock so there were opportunities to explain it's features.

In the photo you will see a black collapsible tarp pole. I carry two as they come in handy if I need to trap over a picnic table or lift my hammock fly for ventilation or view. Also notice the ground under the hammock. The camp sites have wooden platforms - perhaps to avoid erosion. But if you have two tents, someone will be on the ground if they have no "in the air" option.

Alas- this was my time to leave my rigging on the trees when we left. Won't forget that again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    glad you enjoyed your trip yes, we have tough girls up north here, I hope they shared the baked goods
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Glad you had good weather with you. Its been great weather in southern BC for more than a month.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Sounds fun!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I was going to add that the water was so warm, one if the paddlers didn't need all of her bikini when she took a dip before heading out - but wasn't sure about "politically correct" police. Is Canada a great place for adventure or what

Next spring I'll try the Broken Island Group.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I was going to add that the water was so warm, one if the paddlers didn't need all of her bikini when she took a dip before heading out - but wasn't sure about "politically correct" police. Is Canada a great place for adventure or what

Next spring I'll try the Broken Island Group.
    If your going to be in another country like Canada the proper etiquette
    is to look but then as a good Canadian say i'm sorry, (-; . In my neck of the woods there is no topless,,,,your either naked or not. I love the kootenays.
    BTW,, do your research on the Broken Group Islands in spring. Coastal spring weather is quite often crap.. You should join www.westcoastpaddler.com as there is all sorts of info specific to the BC coast and you'll be able to find out about parking, tides , currents etc and all the "how to". You will be on the west coast so understand your level of proficiency. Also warm water on the BC coast is very rare. More often than not its about 50 degrees. Here;s something to wet your appetite.

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...hp?f=11&t=2207

bill

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Bill,
    Thank you for the links. By Spring, I meant Summer but it pains me to think it is that far away. The water at Pirate's Cove was way warm compared to the San Juans and I won't expect it to be warm in the Broken Island group (there go the visuals ). We did get food treats on Pirate's Cove and in exchange we offered to dispatch any spiders.

We experienced the politeness the night before departure. A gang of hooligans (boys and girls teenage + age) swarmed the beach about midnight and yelled at the top of their lungs about the phosphorous display in the water. Everyone in the camp woke up but only I walked down to the beach and was greeted with a polite "Hello mate." I considered the various motivational words for these kids and came up with, "Did you know their are about 20 adults watching you from camp and we can hear EVERY word you are saying." They apologized and the knowledge of "adult supervision" was enough to encourage them to move their partying to a different location. No fault on their part at all. I would have been excited too (added by a little alcohol) and I think they must have missed the ten or so kayaks hauled up on the logs (off the beach) and thought they had the place to themselves.

After four days camping, we paddled to Silva Bay for a sit down lunch. I used the hammock every night (Hammock forum after all) and never longed for a tent. Had the weather turned to rain, I had enough rain fly (HH Hex) to cover.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up Nice trip!

Thanks for posting, wish I could get out there more often. The Northwest and B.C. are the most beautiful places to paddle in my opinion. Please do more trips and post more reports! We all enjoy reading and seeing the pictures

Lazybee

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you want to read the full report with photos, including a few of the hammock set up, I posted it here:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...hp?f=11&t=5737

(Thank you, mbiraman, for the link to westcoastpaddler)

I posted it there because the bulk of it had to do with kayaking and not hammocks. But I used the hammock every day and slept like a charm. Except the night I had to use it as a bivi; that was more charm-isque.

Paul

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If you want to read the full report with photos, including a few of the hammock set up, I posted it here:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...hp?f=11&t=5737

(Thank you, mbiraman, for the link to westcoastpaddler)

I posted it there because the bulk of it had to do with kayaking and not hammocks. But I used the hammock every day and slept like a charm. Except the night I had to use it as a bivi; that was more charm-isque.

Paul
    There is a donating member section here with a paddling sub section .. Its only $10 or $20 /yr to have access to paddling,stoves,cutlery,cookset, etc. You could put your whole post up then. Just a thought

bill

bill

• + New Posts