Sewing machine limmitations?

Hey guys, I'm new to hammocks and the forums, and i've got the DIY bug from watching all your videos. I just picked up a Doublenest and made some whoopies... On my list to do are a TQ, Tarp, Bugnet, and converting an old sleeping back to an UQ.

That being said, I've consulted the women in my life over sewing machines and of the two who have sewing machines and knew their way around a needle, both claim that they dont think their sewing machines could handle the heavy materials like polyester webbing and thick layers of materials like the tie-out supports of a tarp.

Is this hogwash? Or do I really need a special industrial sewing machine for these jobs? One of the machines I have access to is a Singer 401A, the other I have no idea the make and model.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    my wife feels the same way about her sewing machines...and I don't blame her. they handle the jobs fine but I don't want them failing when I use them. I suggest saving those women of yours the stress and get your own dedicated machine. several threads on herediscuss good sewing machines.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    A Singer 401A will sew everything you want to do with ease. Guaranteed.yesnod.gif

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies /straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    my wife feels the same way about her sewing machines...and I don't blame her. they handle the jobs fine but I don't want them failing when I use them. I suggest saving those women of yours the stress and get your own dedicated machine. several threads on herediscuss good sewing machines.
    Agreed...my basic Kenmore handles it fine....doesn't alway sound great but it gets it done. You can pick up sewing machines fairly reasonalbe priced on craigslist and such. Just use the appropriate needles / machine settings and keep it maintained. And like bowl-maker said, get you own so you dont' get in trouble if you push it to far.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I picked up a Singer 257 from a flea market for 20 bucks. I have made several stuff sacks and snakeskins. Just sewed the IX for my UQ last night. This machine has no problem handling the materials you mention. take a trip around some local sales, you'll find an older machine at a good price. Make sure it has been maintained properly.
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Depending on who the women in your life are... Mom's need to be heard and honored. Wives... well if she ain't happy ain't nobody happy. Third cousins three times removed that you only see every five years... Pffft. But then you probably don't have access to their machines anyway.

Here's the deal... think of your bestest toy... Would you let a rank amateur play with it without supervision? Of course not. Get your own toy cause you don't want to be sharing anyway. Or... the most politic thing to do might be to buy the closest woman in your life a _new_ machine. One she drools over just thinking about. Then you get the old one and everyone is happy as Larry.

Check out my guidelines post in my sig. Other folks have found it helpful. You don't need an industrial machine. But you don't want a $50 WalMart wonder either.

PS for things like webbing you can always turn the fly wheel by hand. But don't use that as a response to the ladies. They will not accept it and let you play with the toys.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for all the responses, some good food for thought.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I agree with the above. I would get a dedicated machine to keep peace at home. I found a little Kenmore portable for $12 at the local consignment store that works great. Webbing isn't really that bad since it is a relatively loose weave in most cases. I even sewed some thin leather I scrounged from an old soft side briefcase a few days ago with no problem.

I have a few machines now that i have been using to make things over the years. I have two commerical machines that I find myself not using much any more. I have a Singer 66 that was just convereted to electric that I love. It will sew through anything I have thrown at it. Sewed through 11 layers of 1000D Cordura this past weekend without stressing just had to go slow. You can usually pick these up on craigslist for less than 70 dollars and for 50-60 more you can have it fully serviced. Mine was built in 1910 and is most likely good for another 100 years. To keep peace in the family purchase your own machine that way if it breaks it is your machine that you broke.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use a cheap $80 Brother from Walmart and it sews loops in polyester tree strap webbing just fine. It does grunt and clang when doing so, but it works.

Of course, this has nothing to do with your problem. Keep the peace and get your own machine. Besides, you could custumize your own by painting it olive drab or something!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts