Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Cuben Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch

Lightest bottom insulation for around 15 degrees?

I have done some research here and purchased alot of items just off of lurking. I am so new that my first hammock item isn't due to arrive in the mail till tomorrow and a lot of my kit is still being made. I really want to jump in this fall and the only item that I haven't been able to lurk out is bottom insulation. You can see what I am going to be running in the profile info at the left. Everything is paid for, just waiting for construction and shipment so no changes to that gear, in poker terms I am "pot committed". My top quilt is a zero degree rating down quilt since I will be going to higher elevations between 6-10 thousand ft.

Just looking for input on the lightest set up I can get away with, I can "gut it out" to a certain extent but I don't want to be in any serious danger if I can avoid it at elevation.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53238

Check out the specs for my Custom Hammock Gear 20 Rated Phoenix. I would venture to say that with proper clothing and a partial pad you could take this baby down to 15.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

absolute lightest and cheapest bottom insulation is a closed cell foam pad (high quality foam like eva, minicell, high quality landau foams). the neo air pad is pretty light but i don't see a rating on it

pads in general have their drawbacks though, most people find them to detract from the comfort of a hammock and thus prefer an underquilt. as far as underquilts go a torso length underquilt would be lighter than a full length one. our 3 season yeti is 12oz and rated to 20deg for an average sleeper. warm or cold sleepers would be above or below this number. generally in the hammock industry, 3 season stuff is rated to 20 and winter to 0. warm sleepers would be able to take a 20deg quilt to 15 or even 10 possibly while a cold sleeper might only make it to 30 with the same quilt. overstuffing a 3 season quilt is also an option to get a few more degrees of warmth

Everything that warbonnetguy said.

Foam is the cheapest and lightest.

If you go for a down underquilt, (which is extremely comfy) you will get the lightest by picking a higher FP for the fill. A 900fp down quilt would be almost half the wight of a 500fp down quilt.
    There's whole stickies devoted to math and insulation effectiveness in the insulation sub-forum.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    I combine foam with a 3/4 length 900 FP underquilt slightly overstuffed and could easily get to 15, with proper dress. I am a warm sleeper though. I use a small foam pad under my feet and legs. Also, a little warm water in a bottle can make a big difference for me. When my wife and I go winter camping she grabs her warm water bottle, smiles at me and says, "I have a new best friend I am taking to bed with me." I am supposed to be amused.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

Bobby Seale

http://www.riverjourneys.org

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Not that others are less capable, but LeighLo, with her capable and experience chief of R&D, decided to be different.

LeighLo's new 3-season underquilts are built and rated to 15F instead of 20F as they were previously.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Cuben Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I think I will look into the 2/3 UQ with a stubby pad more. That idea really appeals to me. Thank you.