Your suggestions please....

Hey all, I'd like to pick your brains (brrrraaaaiiinnssss.... ) and get your suggestions since you all have more experience at this than I do. I've never hammock camped before. I do have a hammock that a friend made me, it is double layered (so slot for a sleeping pad if desired) silnylon. I have been told I could expect condensation issues with the silnylon. First off, is this really something I need to worry about? Are we talking a couple droplets of water, or waking up with wet clothing (assuming I'm in it clothed in the cooler months)? If condensation is going to be an issue, then we're on to question 2...

Recommend me a hammock. I'm 5'10", weight in around 275 and have fairly wide shoulders. Obviously gear that supports my weight/size is my biggest concern. Recommend away, and thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Condensation - I have found that this issue varies with the person. I'm 5'8", 250lbs and a heavy sweater. I would be soaked lying in a hammock like that, but others may not find much of a problem with it. I'd give it a go and see how it works for you. Using this one for a night or two will give you a baseline for comparing other hammocks and also give you a good idea which hammock is right for you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Being silnylon it will be a vapor barrier and it will create an environment conducive to condensation issues. You will have to learn how to manage it, search the forums and Google. Good luck.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I would do a couple of nights in the backyard (that way you can bail if you wake up in a kiddie pool

As far as recommending a different hammock, that's a tough one (plus you may not "need" one.) The best thing is to try and attend a local hang. Most folks are really good about showing off their gear and even letting you get in and check it out. That's how I fell in love with my Lite Owl.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    testing for condensations problems is a little bit like checking for a leaking roof. Sometimes you'll find it. Sometimes you won't. It depends on relative humidity, air flow, ambient temperature, your sleep clothing, and a myriad of other issues. In general a breathable hammock is preferred. Give it mutiple test in various condition. Test close to an escape plan in case you end up soaking wet. Hypothermia can set in real fast in 50-60* weather. It doesn't have to be that cold to be dangerous.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Depends on what other features you want with it. Do you require an attached bug net, or would you prefer a separate bug net? Is weight an issue for you; IE: do you want a super light hammock or are you comfort driven? Etc. You can ask for recommendations, but a little added info will help filter your responses.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I sweat very easily (for example, if it's 60 and humid, I'll sweat within a few minutes of starting any physical activity) as well.

I hadn't thought much about spending the night in the hammock at home, that is an excellent suggestion. I was planning to have the hammock and then a ground setup as a backup plan if need be on our first outing--trying it out at home would be even better, so thanks for the suggestion!

As for what i'd be looking for if I were to get a new hammock, both comfort and weight are important. While I'm big myself, I don't want to have to carry 30+ pounds for a night or two away if I don't have to. A bugnet would be good, but detachable may be best (we don't have too many bugs in the fall/winter here, and during the summer I'm just not too likely to be outside when it's 90 all day and only mid 70's and humid at night). As for whether or not the hammock could hold a sleeping pad, I guess that depends on how much insulation that can provide...is planning for a UQ eventually a better plan, even though I probably won't be using this if it gets below freezing?

Thanks again for your advice, thoughts and opinions!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The hammock your friend made you is probably a really good hammock to start out with until you find out what you do and do not like. Plus you can't beat the price, since you already have it.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    You can expect to have at least 3 or 4 (or more) hammocks (if you are anything like the rest of us that fall into this obsession.)

I would plan for an underquilt. They are nice, but can be expensive. A nice tarp is also a must. You will spend a bit of money on a good set up, but I've found that I am very comfortable when it's time for rest.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    PLUS ONE.
    Do a backyard test. One night in the ADKs my buddy and I were both sleeping in Hennesseys on blue walmart pads. We both had 20* synthetic North Face sleeping bags. Same stock tarps. We both woke up with condensation but, my bag was a little damp. He honestly thought he made an accident in his sleep! So, as already stated, its different for everyone.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

• + New Posts