Someone help me understand how this works

Im contemplating beginning plans for a DIY TQ and really like the design that wilderness logics uses. They claim that their diagonal channels saves weight. How does this work exactly. Seems like the same amount of fabric and stuffing would be used.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    From their site:
    THE DIGONAL CHANNEL DESIGN, CHANNELS WRAPS AROUND FOR JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF WARMTH
    I wouldn't think that the diagonal channels would effect the weight of the quilt as well. I do however like the idea though of the diagonal channel for even distribution of down around you while in the quilt. I made a lot of gear and all of the top quilts I have made have horizontal baffles as they left me shift the down from side to side if i need to.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion X View Post
    From their site:

I wouldn't think that the diagonal channels would effect the weight of the quilt as well. I do however like the idea though of the diagonal channel for even distribution of down around you while in the quilt. I made a lot of gear and all of the top quilts I have made have horizontal baffles as they left me shift the down from side to side if i need to.
    thats how i made mine and horizontal baffels work the best for me cause if my feet get cold "which they always do" you just shake more down to the bottom. and if you need help understanding how to make a TQ or UQ shoot me a PM with your number and ill give you a call and walk you through it.
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I have to ask - not about the UQ weight though. How effective would an UQ be with a mix of horizontal and diagonal baffles? Say diagonal baffles on the sides and bottom and horizontals at the foot/head area? Aside from a slightly longer build time, would it be more efficient?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Hammonkey, i checked the WL site and the weight savings comes from the "sewn through" construction.
    the lack of baffle material and additional stitching makes it lighter. the direction of the channel will not change the weight.
    below is a direct quote from the WL SS UQ page.

"WITH THE NEW DIAGONAL CHANNEL SEWN THROUGH DESIGN MAKES IT LIGHTER THAN TRADITIONAL BAFFLED UNDER QUILTS."

i really like my summer series quilts, the sewn through const. lets them breath a little more than baffled quilts.
    i have only been able to use mine down to 60* so far, but, it will be cooler soon and i can see how much lower they will comfortably go.
    i also plan on using my SS TQ as a liner for my 40* synthetic TQ this winter.

hope this helped some.

Im not sure I fully understand the channel vs sewn through construction.

Am I right in that in terms of channel you mean that there are individual tubes created on the inside of the outer shell and those are what gets stufed?

I always just assumed you took two pieces of fabric, stitched seams to create the "channel" and just filled those, which from what I can gather is what you mean by sewn through.

If I understand that right, are there any disadvantages to running a sewn-through construction? I sure dont mind breathable as I am a furnace that sweats easy, but I hate loose flying feather bits poking me or getting up my nose almost as much as a heavy pack.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Baffled quilt construction uses a piece of fabric (normally no-see-um here in hammockland) sewn between the two exterior layers of the quilt fabric. This allows the down to "loft", giving the quilt more R value. Loft can be controlled by the width of the baffle fabric, and the amount of down in each channel.

Sewn thru means the two layers of exterior quilt fabric are stitched directly to each other. It creates a channel but doesnt have the extra loft. Good for summer quilts.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Sewn through baffles means exactly that. You take two pieces of material and mark them equal distances on each side and sew through the material to create channels in which you fill with you insulation of choice. This could leave a chance for cold spots along the "sewn through" seam in this construction. To minimize this chance one would sew extra material between the top and bottom layer material to creat the baffles thus adding weight to the construction of UQ.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    I imagine there is less stitching involved In sewn through stuff since you don't sew all four sides of the baffle and there are no baffles as well so it becomes light because of less materials.

• + New Posts