UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Bug Net

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...=33-83439714-2

I had one of these given to me yesterday, and so...I'm gonna use it (until I get a better one).

Thoughts/opinions regarding closing up the bottom and putting a vertical (or horizontal?) zipper in the middle for 360 degree protection from skeeters?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    With its dimensions, 32 x 78 x 59 inches, I don't know if 360* coverage is an option. Even a shorter hammock like an ENO is gonna have a ridgeline of 8 ft. or so.

Dejoha has a design for a half bugnet that might work.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I think I recall seeing something about someone making something similar to a Fronkey-style bugnet out of something similar not too long ago. Unfortunately I don't have a link saved...probably worth a search though...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I think I recall seeing something about someone making something similar to a Fronkey-style bugnet out of something similar not too long ago. Unfortunately I don't have a link saved...probably worth a search though...
    That's about what I was thinking. Just sew the bottom up and add a zipper.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Actually the Fronkey-style net has no zipper,,,

Here's a link to Fronkey's post on the net he makes. Its a sticky in the DIY section

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39983

Here's the link I was looking I was thinking of...its basically a Fronkey knock-off but made of a different material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRoE...&feature=g-u-u

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Since you'll basically be pulling the ends out to a point you might get enough length. You might have to cut seam and do some reconstruction. I think you could hack the "top" out of this, pull out the ends, then re-stitch a continuous seam along the top for a ridgeline. Basically you'll turn this "box" into a big flat envelope (think taco shell shape).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Since you'll basically be pulling the ends out to a point you might get enough length. You might have to cut seam and do some reconstruction. I think you could hack the "top" out of this, pull out the ends, then re-stitch a continuous seam along the top for a ridgeline. Basically you'll turn this "box" into a big flat envelope (think taco shell shape).
    I'm no math genius, but I don't think it's long enough. The diagonal of a 78" long x 32" wide rectangle is 84.3 inches. Gresh has an Eno which is 9.5 feet, or 114 inches. Assuming he has a ridgeline, the bugnet length would need to cover 83% of the hammock length, which is 94.62 inches. Add 3 inches on each end to give it some play, and you're at around 100 inches length required. It looks like he's about 16 inches too short.

How do you overcome that?

I guess you could remove the top (and bottom, if it has one) of the bugnet, rip the seams on two opposite corners, resulting in two pieces of bugnet 110 inches long (78" + 32"). Sew the pieces together, create openings for suspension to go through, and you've got a 110" x 59" bugnet.

Sew a channel along the bottom and run shock cord through it. I'd skip the zipper since it's kinda heavy. However, at 1.5 lbs., I guess weight is not an issue.

Use excess bugnet to make snake skins or ridgeline organizers.

I'd skip the zipper too and just use shock cord through a sewn channel. Zippers are heavy, but since the bugnet is already 1.5 lbs, I guess the weight of the zipper is kind of a moot point.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    And by the way, I think I'd leave it at 110 inches. As you stretch out on the diagonal, most of the force applied on the bugnet will be horizontal; i.e., will be exerted on the suspension openings. Since I believe you have an ENO doublenest, that bad boy is 74 inches wide.

I'd also suggest putting channels on the suspension openings and make shock cord closures for them too. Some people just have suspension openings with no closure mechanism, some use cord or adjustable zip ties, but I like the idea of a shock cord closure - it should give before the bugnet rips.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Nailed it......

Silvrsurfr hit the nail on the head. Imagine tearing the top and bottom off a cereal box, then squash it flat. This should result in a big sleeve (2 layers of netting) approximately 110" x 59". Sew the top seam together, leaving enough room for your suspension to exit on each end. You'll be a on your way towards a fronkey style net. Add a channel and shock cord to the bottom and you're set.

On the other hand, you might be able to sew the bottom shut, and recycle that chunk you cut off the top to make a TED bugnet.

I've got an military surplus net I've considered doing the same to but it's just too darned heavy and stiff (but the price was right).

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    As Sufr said remove the top (it has no bottom) pull the two opposite corners out, sew it together, shock cord the bottom. It worked for me. But be advised, sewing that stuff is a pain, if your machine has a walking foot, disable it.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast