DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

My RR review and advice to bridge newbies....

Now, I will not profess to be an expert when it comes to bridge hammocks. But I have owned several different models and wanted to offer up my opinion of the differences between them and the hanging differences between a gathered end and a bridge.

Some specs on me... I am 6'4. Roughly 270 pounds. IIRC I have a 54 or 56" measurement around my shoulders and a 40" waist.

Brandon hit the head end perfectly. With the other bridges I have, except in some small ways my last custom Grizz Bridge... The lay is so flat one may need a pillow to elevate their head. From what I can see, the cut on the material is such that not only is there almost no shoulder squeeze, but the bottom of the hammock elevates naturally to prop my head up enough to not feel any strain in my neck or shoulders.

There isnt much to say about the foot end other than someone with big feet, that uses the entire length of the hammock may find the bug net pocket bothersome with the big net stowed in it. But there are absolutely no compressive forces pushing my feet or legs together. There is just enough squeeze along the entire length of the hammock to keep me from moving around. I imagine this will help me not move around at night, but it is not constrictive in the least.

The middle... This is an area where the larger folks may want some more room. While laying in the hammock, my arms rest on the perimeter webbing. It isnt uncomfortable, and I think if there was enough room for my arms to rest on the bottom of the hammock I might feel trapped (personal anxiety, not a problem with the hammock), just something that I noticed. That being said, I believe if more room is cut into the fabric to widen the center, the head end would need to be widened as well otherwise you trade mid hammock room for shoulder squeeze. Shoulder squeeze, IMO, is the bain of the bridge hammock and the RR has solved that issue hands down.

The suspension is very stable. I probably will tinker with the suspension, but straight out of Brandons hands is right on the money.

Now, if the RR is your first fortay with a bridge hammock, there are some differences in hanging the suspension. When I hung this up for the first time and set it about the same as my GB, I thought... "man that looks tight." I had significant loose fabric in both the head and foot and and the center of the bottom was quite a bit higher than either of the ends. So I entered slowly as most do with new hammocks or suspension and it held fine. When I laid down, it was perfect. My weight may have something to do with that as I still think it was pulled tight.... And of course this is dependent on how far your anchor points are from one another. My back yard hammock stand posts are 16' apart and my eye bolts for a bridge are about 6' off the ground. With the bridge hung and properly stretched, and me in the hammock, puts me about 16" off the ground, sitting side saddle in the hammock.

All in all.... When I purchased this from lymphocytosis, I wasn't sure. I really like my GB. I asked Grizz to make it a bit wider than normal cause I am wider than normal. But for a semi mass produced bridge hammock... Its like buying a Porsche for a first car. Everything is well thought out... And not sure if this was planned, but even the head end has enough loose fabric while occupied you have a bit of a pocket to put things in. The side pockets are not only a great idea, but are another great solution to being able to add a bugnet to a bridge and not strain the net when you load the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Thanks opie - I am a bridge newbie. Wasn't sure it was something I'd be interested in but I have to say that Brandon has me very interested in the RR. Thanks for the write-up!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very encouraging review.....I'm still waiting for my shipping notice.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    At 270 lbs did you notice much bend in the cross bars? Feel a bit dodgy at all?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Thanks opie - I am a bridge newbie. Wasn't sure it was something I'd be interested in but I have to say that Brandon has me very interested in the RR. Thanks for the write-up!
    Imagine sleeping in your bed. There are absolutely no points anywhere along the length of the hammock that create any pressure points. There is no guess work to how you need to lay in it to find a sweet spot. Once you get yourself centered in it, thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Very encouraging review.....I'm still waiting for my shipping notice.
    Heres to hoping you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    At 270 lbs did you notice much bend in the cross bars? Feel a bit dodgy at all?
    No. They are the same diameter I used on my GB. Ive actually used smaller Easton bars on a GB I had prior to my current one. Just remember, don't use the bars has handles when you are in the hammock.

And stability is rock solid. I believe mostly because of the long suspension triangle coming off the corners. Can you flip yourself out of it? Certainly.... But thats inherent to a bridge. By making the suspension triangles long, you introduce stability.

opie, that is one fine, on target, review. Freehome was kind enough to bring his RR over to my house to let me experience it. I found everything you say to be the same. Great hammock, and one I will probably purchase. By the way, Brandon should put you on his PR team.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I share all your same sentiments about the WBRR. I am also a bigger guy at about 6'4" and about 260 lbs. the WBRR is a great hammock for sure, and like you said, my only complaint was the narrowness of the middle, but its a trade off I'm willing to make for no shoulder squeeze. And for law dawg, the poles for me also feel like there isn't much pressure on them at all.....
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    There isnt much to say about the foot end other than someone with big feet, that uses the entire length of the hammock may find the bug net pocket bothersome with the big net stowed in it.

i tried to keep it high enough so it would be above your feet, however if the netting is stowed in the pocket you should be able to flip the pocket over the spreader bar to the outside of the hammock and then it should be out of the way

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Yep, I figured that out after I created my post.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i tried to keep it high enough so it would be above your feet, however if the netting is stowed in the pocket you should be able to flip the pocket over the spreader bar to the outside of the hammock and then it should be out of the way
    I'm 6'3" with US size 15 feet and I didn't notice any interference from the stowed bug net.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast