Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangMan View Post
    Hi All,
    I have made my own gathered end hammock (actually wife made it). Have used it for a while now, but have come to the realization that I am not all that comfortable sleeping in it. I feel cocooned in and invariably my feet end up higher than my head. I really want to like it as I love the idea of it and being able to camp anywhere there are trees and absolutely love sitting in it and not having to kneel or get to my feet in the morning. I have even bought a Speer Peapod, which is awesome. As well I have just bought a quilt and underquilt from Hammockgear, all good kit. What I am wondering is if perhaps the bridge style hammock would be better for me? Seems like you'd get a flatter lay without the problems I've experienced. Although then I'd have to get different insulation, if I understand right, as the Peapod and underquilt wouldn't work. That's fine if I have to change my system a bit, I just want to have a good night's sleep.
    Please help.
    Hang the foot end higher than the head end. It seems counter-intuitive, but due to your center of gravity being in your chest region, it works.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Wow! Guys I am so thankful for your insights. I almost never post on forums.
    I have been hanging the foot end higher but still slip down, if that makes any sense. I will set it up tomorrow and take some pictures.

As a side note I have learned so much from this forum. I really enjoy experimenting with different camping styles. My record for winter in my hammock is -28C, thanks to Shug for the inspiration. I have to say that my family really enjoys watching the videos of Shug's crazy antics.
    'Til Tomorrow.

I did get out yesterday and took some pictures of my setup. I played around a bit with the height of the foot end and I think that I wasn't high enough before. Also I added a small pillow, as silly as that sounds, and that really helped too. In fact it felt so good that I took a quick trip out to a favourite spot for a sleep under the stars. I had probably the best sleep ever in a hammock! Dream land! The only thing is that I can't seem to sleep on my side quite as much as I'd like, too constrained still. Is that just a gathered end hammock issue? Here is a picture in the yard, I'm still open to critiquing. Thanks for the tips so far.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I take a Super Snooze.( melatonin and valarien root) Doesn't matter if my setup is just right... I just melt right in there. Was that length from knot to knot a hung measurement or physical length? I love the flat lay I get in my Lite Owl. It's an 11 ft hammock(132 in.) I think that combined with using a Structural Ridgeline and dialing it in contributes tremendously. My suspension is always longer at the head end than the foot. This causes the head end to be slightly lower than the head once loaded. Hope you find your sweet spot. It took me some time.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Attend a group hang and you will have a chance to check out and even try out some different hammocks.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    [QUOTE=TheHangMan;817636]I did get out yesterday and took some pictures of my setup. I played around a bit with the height of the foot end and I think that I wasn't high enough before. Also I added a small pillow, as silly as that sounds, and that really helped too. In fact it felt so good that I took a quick trip out to a favourite spot for a sleep under the stars. I had probably the best sleep ever in a hammock! Dream land! The only thing is that I can't seem to sleep on my side quite as much as I'd like, too constrained still. Is that just a gathered end hammock issue? Here is a picture in the yard, I'm still open to critiquing. Thanks for the tips so far.

I don't see a ridge line, and I would recommend one. This will really help to get the right sag. Maybe a little higher on the foot end. To lay on your side, try rolling away from the hammock. What i mean by this, when you lay in a diagonal there is a bunch of fabric on one side of you and not much on the other. You head is right next to the edge of the hammock. Roll to that edge. The other side (side with all the fabric) gives your back some support and feels like you are really on your side even though you are just rocked up on your shoulder just a bit.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I don't know your weight but... 1.1 oz is too light for me. It feels great at first, but well into the night the hammock stretches enough to cause me pretty major pain in my shoulders (on the front side though). I really like the feel of the 1.1 oz under my feet though...

My weight is 190 lbs and I have gone to 1.7 or 1.9 oz material with no shoulder pain now.

Of course, this is in addition to what others have suggested above; ridge line, feet higher, diagonal etc.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Thanks for the additional tips guys.

blaktee: I do have a ridge line, its just hard to see in the picture. I'll try your rolling technique next time. How many things seem counterintuitive that actually are not!

Rat: I will try a heavier fabric on my next hammock, I am not as heavy as you though but it might be worth a shot.

sodakgrrl: If I do go with a bridge should I build my own bridge or buy a WB ridgerunner or the JRB UL bridge? My wife is excellent at sewing, even though she hates working with the nylon fabrics. I would need a good pattern to follow as I'm not good at designing things.

hikingdad: I am tempted by the RR, I have watched your video a couple of times already. Looks good.

What do you not like about it? I had calve pressure and adjusted the rl and that helped it. what makes it uncomfortable and fix that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangMan View Post
    Thanks for the additional tips guys.

sodakgrrl: If I do go with a bridge should I build my own bridge or buy a WB ridgerunner or the JRB UL bridge? My wife is excellent at sewing, even though she hates working with the nylon fabrics. I would need a good pattern to follow as I'm not good at designing things.
    If you don't have the time to sew (though I made my last bridge in an evening) and you can afford to buy one, by all means, do that if you're still uncomfortable in your GE! If your wife is an accomplished seamstress (although I think even a thread-injector of modest abilities could sew a bridge... ) and you want a custom fit, take the plunge! Doing a search for "bridge dimensions" will get you lots of info, or you can just start at this thread.

Good luck!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12