New Spinnaker cloth hammock

I had some extra 1.5 oz spinnaker cloth laying around so I made a quick hammock out it. I am currently relaxing in it and I have to say that in the conditions I am using it in, it is rather nice. It is windy (blowing about 15 knots)and cool (56 degrees). The natural ablity of the cloth to block the wind is greatly appreciated right now. The dimensions of the hammock are 134 inches by 61 inches. The edges came finished so no need to hem the sides. All in all extremely comfortable. Equally with my body weight in it, it is not noisy at all. I was a bit worried about that.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is spinnaker cloth breathable?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Your post on spinnaker cloth made me think of something, so I called a friend of mine up.

Cuben fabric is most often used in sail making...and a good friend of mine is the #1 sail maker. He's checking to find out what HIS best price on the stuff is. Told me he might can get me at $10/yd from a guy he knows. A guy who knows a guy...but whatever. If it gets me in cheap...

SO glad you posted this.

I would not call it breathable. I have challenge sailcloth fibermax which is impregnated cloth not coated. Not sure how it would do in the summer, I think it might be hot but as a light weight fall/ spring (non camping) hammock it really functions great. It comes in about 20 bright colours. It is slippery, I noticed that with me laying wrapped in a blanket I was continually having to slide back into the sweet spot. I think if I hem the edges that would help and if I make it a bit wider that would work as well. But it has been about three years since I have had a narrow 60 inch hammock so it may also be that I just need to get used to it again.

http://challengesailcloth.com/nylon/fibermax.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Is spinnaker cloth breathable?
    For most spinn no it isn't breathable, but, there was a run that was, Brian at OES got a batch that wasn't waterproof some time ago.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY and a Lawson
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Poncho liners
    Suspension
    big fat webbing
    All of the spinnakers that I have made over the years have been 1.1 to 1.9 ounce non-coated ripstop nylon. I made one from coated nylon a few years ago and it really took a good breeze just to fill it, but then you were off to the races.

The new racing spinnakers and sails can be just about anything, including carbon fiber and a tyvak type material. Racers will try anything for an edge.

• + New Posts