Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Old Tent Fly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag

My hammock set up.

I am new to hammocking. I bought a grand trunk single hammock. I have been laying in it in the past few nights. I was to cold with just a sheet hanging below me. I put a piece of refletex under me. It was about 45 degrees and i was HOT.
    I would enjoy any tips, criticism, or suggestion to my setup. I posted pictures

I want to take it backpacking with me in a week to otter creek wilderness area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I'm fairly new myself. I've only used my sleeping bag and I was ok, but that was summer. I have the same hammock, but I set my tarp in a diamond shape. It keeps me dry, but feels more open. What is reflextex and where did you get it?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard Woodduck. Glad to see that you're doing some testing before getting out on the trail. Might want to look into some tree huggers, those smooth bark trees don't take to stress the way some of the old heavy barked trees like Oaks do.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a complete new set coming(DB 72, HG incubator 0F) and received my wilderness logics oldman winter tarp this week. I have a hammock bliss right now(nothing special) and decided on one with some features. I also used a sleeping bag that is rated down to -40F from The North Face and ive used it down to the teens with no pad or anything. Cant wait to be able to just lay inside with a UQ, gonna be interesting. Also am gonna experiment with pads and emergency blankets to find the best sleepin. Good luck

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm fairly new myself. I've only used my sleeping bag and I was ok, but that was summer. I have the same hammock, but I set my tarp in a diamond shape. It keeps me dry, but feels more open. What is reflextex and where did you get it?
    Reflectix is a material similar to the material that silver auto shades are made from, think of it as aluminum coated bubble wrap. You can find rolls of it at your nearest Lowes or Home Depot.
    Last edited by lilricky; 09-22-2012 at 18:21.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Old Tent Fly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Thanks for the tips. It was supposed to rain that night, so i set up the tarp the other way. I'm making tree huggers. The refletex was really hot with me 30 degree bag on a 40 degree night. Refletex has a R value of 4.2 when you lay on it. R-value is the measure of heat that transfers through material. Refletex also reflects your body heat, so the practicle r value goes way up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    being pretty new myself, do you hang the reflextec under the hammock like an underquilt or inside the hammock and lay on it?

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Old Tent Fly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Like lilricky said its kinda like bubble rap, but it is alot more rigid in one direction. This makes it difffucult to hang below you like an UQ. I lay one it, but it gets kinda hot.

• + New Posts