Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60
  1. #11
    Senior Member Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    DIY Gear Supply has 1.1 woodland camo untreated, but it's firsts and $4.95/yd. I like this fabric, but not the higher price. He also has digital camo untreated, but it's in 1.4 and a good price of $2.95/yd. Sigh---it's hard to find good cheap lightweight camo. Wish Magna had a lighter weight.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,818
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    DIY Gear Supply has 1.1 woodland camo untreated, but it's firsts and $4.95/yd. I like this fabric, but not the higher price. He also has digital camo untreated, but it's in 1.4 and a good price of $2.95/yd. Sigh---it's hard to find good cheap lightweight camo. Wish Magna had a lighter weight.
    Magna has 1.1 ACU camo for $1.25 a yard. But you have to buy a whole roll. The smallest roll they have right now is 30 yards. Still, that would surround you in camo-goodness for a good long while for only $37! Sometimes HF members organize a bulk buy and split it up. Click HERE for link to all their rolls of 1.1 ACU camo.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  3. #13
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    10,519
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Magna has 1.1 ACU camo for $1.25 a yard. But you have to buy a whole roll. The smallest roll they have right now is 30 yards. Still, that would surround you in camo-goodness for a good long while for only $37! Sometimes HF members organize a bulk buy and split it up. Click HERE for link to all their rolls of 1.1 ACU camo.
    Be aware that Magna's 1.1 is actually 1.0 oz/sy which could be good or bad depending on your purpose. For a sock, it is a very open weave. You can feel the wind blow through it. That's great for condensation, but bad for keeping the heat in. It is also noticeably weaker material then standard 1.1, but in a sock that shouldn't matter.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  4. #14
    Senior Member Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Magna has 1.1 ACU camo for $1.25 a yard. But you have to buy a whole roll. The smallest roll they have right now is 30 yards. Still, that would surround you in camo-goodness for a good long while for only $37! Sometimes HF members organize a bulk buy and split it up. Click HERE for link to all their rolls of 1.1 ACU camo.
    Thanks for the heads up.

  5. #15
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,186
    Images
    207
    Cheapest good choice might be 1.1 ripstop with DWR. A step up would be one of the fabrics with a smooth side and a rough side that passes moisture vapor well (it evaporates faster from the rough side, which should be out): examples are Pertex Microlight, Pertex Quantum, Momentum 90, etc. They cost more.

  6. #16
    Senior Member blaktee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    504

    momentum 50

    I am starting to lean towards momentum 50. from what I have read it seams to give me most of what I want. It's light, high wind and water resistant. it says it is breathable. would condensation be a problem?

  7. #17
    Senior Member Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    I am starting to lean towards momentum 50. from what I have read it seams to give me most of what I want. It's light, high wind and water resistant. it says it is breathable. would condensation be a problem?
    It can be. It all depends on too many factors. Since the condensation comes from your breathing out moist air. There's a bib type thingy that some use that absorbs a lot of that moisture. Sorry - I'm still working on my coffee and can't think of the proper name for the thingy.

  8. #18
    Senior Member sodakgrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lead, S.D.
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Posts
    364
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    There's a bib type thingy that some use that absorbs a lot of that moisture. Sorry - I'm still working on my coffee and can't think of the proper name for the thingy.
    frost bib?

    sodakgrrl
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

    'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

    "Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

  9. #19
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,329
    Images
    81
    The best frost bib I've used are ShamWow towels.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  10. #20
    Senior Member Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    frost bib?

    sodakgrrl
    YES! Thanks for the correct name.

Similar Threads

  1. Winter sock material?
    By watertones in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 16:43
  2. Argon material for a hammock sock
    By Country Roads in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 13:58
  3. Sock material: is M90 worth it?
    By gplg in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 19:17
  4. Weather Sock Material...
    By animalcontrol in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 21:43
  5. Hammock Sock material
    By Nest in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 18:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •