Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    I just ordered some M90. thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out. I am heading to Yellowstone the 18th of Oct for 3 days and a 30 mile thru hike. I am sure that the sock will come in handy!!! :-)
    The Park in October, might need a sock! (Then again, with the weather this year, you'll probably need shorts.)
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    For most cooler nights in Fall and Spring, I'd follow WV's earlier advise and go with a DWR treated 1.1 nylon.
    For real cold weather in Winter or where a greater wind/water resistance is desired, I'd go with M90.
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Cheapest good choice might be 1.1 ripstop with DWR. A step up would be one of the fabrics with a smooth side and a rough side that passes moisture vapor well (it evaporates faster from the rough side, which should be out): examples are Pertex Microlight, Pertex Quantum, Momentum 90, etc. They cost more.
    I'm really wrestling with these fabric choices as well.
    It seems the current choices available to the DIY crowd (in rough permeability) are:

1.1 Ripstop – uncoated
    1.1 Ripstop with DWR – DIYGS
    Momentum 90 - Pertex Quantum - Pertex Microlight Eco
    Momentum 50
    Sil Nylon

How does the breathability/water and wind resistance compare amongst them? Is there much difference between the DWR 1.1 and the M90? I am finding it very difficult to compare these fabrics.
    I was thinking of aking dual fabric sock with uncoated 1.1 top and a coated bottom, but then I see commercial versions that use all uncoated (or M90) material. Would the DWR nylon really have condensation issues?

To make matters worse there is also the newer materials -
    Impetus 1.0
    Impetus 1.1
    Impetus 1.2
    NoBul1
    NoBul2
    Where do they fit in?

--Confused---
    jason

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    I was under the impression that magna's 1.1acu (really 1.0) was stronger than most 1.1's. i haven't seen any real tests though. Definitely didn't hear until now that it was weaker.

Also I am hoping someone try's out ti-goats nobul1 as a winter sock. I don't see any reference as it being ripstop though.

I have a quilt from HG in the nobul2 and it seems pretty breathable but not as much as regular 1.1 used. I only have anecdotal data, I see it takes longer to loft up than regular nylon.

As for a group buy from alibaba, I would be down for 15 yards.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I wouldn't make a single layer hammock with it, but I think it would make a fine double layer hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post
    I was under the impression that magna's 1.1acu (really 1.0) was stronger than most 1.1's. i haven't seen any real tests though. Definitely didn't hear until now that it was weaker.
    I'm gonna respectfully disagree with MAD777 this time. Perhaps he has seen something that I missed?

I've got a hiking buddy who's approx 6'1" & 225lbs. He has a dozen or more nights in a single layer hammock made a from this exact fabric. I know it's the Magna Fabric 30d ACU because I cut it off my roll. Seems to me that this fabric has been working as well, if not better than any other 1.1oz ripstop. I saw it again this past weekend. It was being used by my buddy's much lighter son, but still appears to be holding up quite well.

I've only used it once or twice in single layer hammock and so far I haven't had any feedback on those particular projects. Usually, that's a good thing. Most of the time, folks are ordering double layers or using this in combination with other fabrics.

Back to Hammock Socks. This fabric is a little looser and more breathable than some of the other 1.1 ripstops out there. A sock from this fabric would be highly breathable, but likely not very windproof.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm gonna respectfully disagree with MAD777 this time. Perhaps he has seen something that I missed?

I've got a hiking buddy who's approx 6'1" & 225lbs. He has a dozen or more nights in a single layer hammock made a from this exact fabric. I know it's the Magna Fabric 30d ACU because I cut it off my roll. Seems to me that this fabric has been working as well, if not better than any other 1.1oz ripstop. I saw it again this past weekend. It was being used by my buddy's much lighter son, but still appears to be holding up quite well.

I've only used it once or twice in single layer hammock and so far I haven't had any feedback on those particular projects. Usually, that's a good thing. Most of the time, folks are ordering double layers or using this in combination with other fabrics.
    I respect your disagreement Randy!

My trepidation came from handling the material, yanking on it, etc. I completely defer to Randy's knowledge of those with real world experience in the field.

Also, if you make a single layer hammock and find there is too much stretch to your liking, it's easy to add another layer.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Shug has the most pertinent point, I think, that the critical source of condensation is respiration, which occurs in the top-most part of the enclosure around the head.

I'd not want to trap that moisture myself so am back to the idea of venting, which is the perennial issue with cold weather anyway, balancing dead air space with enough ventilation (moving air) to keep the insulation dry enough to do its job in creating dead air!!! LOL

Now, in winter I sleep with the window cracked even in the coldest weather. Only when I lived in Maine did I seal the house up ... but it was 100 years old so breathed a-plenty.

It seems that a two-part system might be best, a DWR on the bottom and a more permeable fabric on the top. Wool just makes me feel warm and can be had in some pretty tight weaves. Just thinking out loud here ...

Mike

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good idea, Mike. I was going to suggest the same thing. I use Pertex for the top layer and ripstop for the lower one, but I go one further and extend the central section down to the ground for a small footprint. The bottom section is silnylon. I like to use a vertical side entry zipper, so I can sit up to put on my shoes then step forward out of the sock. (I guess with a footprint it's more of a "hammock sock-tent".) The need for actual venting will depend on atmospheric conditions as well as body temperature and metabolism, but also on the volume of the sock. A very small space will more likely need to be vented.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Good idea, Mike. I was going to suggest the same thing. I use Pertex for the top layer and ripstop for the lower one, but I go one further and extend the central section down to the ground for a small footprint. The bottom section is silnylon. I like to use a vertical side entry zipper, so I can sit up to put on my shoes then step forward out of the sock. (I guess with a footprint it's more of a "hammock sock-tent".) The need for actual venting will depend on atmospheric conditions as well as body temperature and metabolism, but also on the volume of the sock. A very small space will more likely need to be vented.
    You know what we all want is a tent with a hammock in it! LOL

I've considered a bug net going all the way to the ground for just the reason you cite, WV, and now you've hit upon this! So many good ideas on this site!

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    The 10d fabric Ti goat has would be good for a sock. Cheap and light. Don't use for down project though.
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

Back to Hammock Socks. This fabric is a little looser and more breathable than some of the other 1.1 ripstops out there. A sock from this fabric would be highly breathable, but likely not very windproof.

I was thinking to use this same material for a winter hammock sock. What I'm hearing is that this Magna 1.0 is not very windproof, then it probably will not retain much heat. Sounds like it's not the best choice for a winter hammock sock? Is this correct?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast