Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Ah, yes, olddog, those pictures help tremendously.

Thank you!

I wonder if you could come all the way back out of the main line with the innermost part of the 7/32 and make it an adjustable loop.

That way it can change with various tarps, hammocks, and conditions.

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Ah, yes, olddog, those pictures help tremendously.

Thank you!

I wonder if you could come all the way back out of the main line with the innermost part of the 7/32 and make it an adjustable loop.

That way it can change with various tarps, hammocks, and conditions.

Mike
    Wow! Another idea to contemplate. If we're on the same page, I'm visualizing a fixed loop with a long tail which passes thru the core of the SLS. If say 24" long the loop could be adjusted from against the SLS to about 18 " from the SLS with 4" of bury on the tail and a backsplice on the end. I think you would want to extend the outermost layer of the 7/64" with the innermost bury forming the loop. This could replace the whoopies on each end of my hammock and the buried loops for the hammock and still allow some adjustability. OMG I just said " replace a whoopie " hope that isn't sacrilege or something. I can see it being used for the tarp also to allow repositioning or tensioning in place of a prussik. Is this what you were thinking?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I think we're on the same page, olddog, especially concerning adjusting the tarp.

I'd want more than a 4" bury on a man bearing part of the system, though.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    After re-building my giant whoopie, making it adjustable at both ends, my second bite at the apple ...

Worked!

It's almost exactly like your SLS, Bear and olddog, except I use carabiners for the alpine loops and suspend the hammock with adjstable whoopies from them. I am able to crank some tension (but not too much) into the system with a strap and buckle Warbonnet suspension. I did gain elevation in my favor this way such that the deflection from horizontal at the carabiners was much less than 30* so am able to pitch the tarp high for summer breezes ... now that it's not summer any more! LOL

The carabiners also serve as anchors for the tarp.

I'll get some pictures up when I'm through experimenting, okay?

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The easy method of dealing with the while setting the alpine butterflies at the right spot is to do a double locked bury (think continuous loop buries) in the middle. I've done that with my latest version which is actually a webbing on.

Also be careful with unlocked buries if it hang and you pull it the wrong way it will slide just like a whoopee that you are adjusting.

Also on using a whoopee vs Pruisic for tarp attachment part of the reason for the pruisic is that it will fail and slide before the tarp tears if you overload it, be it you tripping and landing on it our extremely high wind.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sounds like you're getting there Mike. How are the biners attached into the SLS? Still trying to understand the strap and buckle for tension. I just tighten my SLS up with the whoopies on each end then hang from the center of the SLS to stretch everthing then tighten the whoopies again. At this point the SLS is about 6' above the ground with plenty of headroom for getting out of the rain, cooking, etc.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I've got the straps secured to the trees in the regular way with carabiners A (I moved the Ti ones to this position because of the Mammut failure discussed in another thread).

Straps run to buckles. The buckles have a loop that is designed to run to the hammock. But instead I clip the long double adjustable whoopie to it with carabiners B and tighten them up. The straps and buckles function as pulleys to crank some more tension into the system but not too much. Together they form the SLS ridge line with carbiners B serving as the alpine loops.

Adjustable whoopies are also clipped into carbiners B and run down to carbiners C at the hammock.

Into carbiners C are clipped the hammock, SRL, underquilt, and when it is made the weather sock.

Since straps, giant whoopie, and the two regular whoopies are all adjustable there is great leeway in how one can hang and maintain the 30* angle to the hammock ... I think. I've got to try it out with trees of different distances apart and different elevations on the trees.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

At 5 Feet

The second phase of testing my system, though the math does not stand up exactly to reality ...

Worked!

I lowered the straps on the trees from 6'-8" to 5' in order to make a hunker-down, weather-shedding mode for the modified SLS that I'm exploring.

There is only 3" of clearance from UQ to ground but my theory essentially holds ... at least on the same back yard trees as before.

Phase three will involve trees of various distances.

This is quite complicated, though, and I see the advantage of simplicity in what Bear and olddog are doing. My next stop in life may be a bundle of 1/8" Amsteel in black, and some camo fabrics for a quick, quiet, and stealthy SLS system.

Mike

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Mike, I'm really looking forward to pictures of your setup. It's hard for me to visualize it. I think I want to try a sls like yours, but I'm wondering what is the minimum span between trees you can set up? Seems like there is no way to get down to 15 feet. Also, how does the tarp connect to the biners? I have some thin cord that I have tested as Prusiks that will grip on the Amsteel so I wouldn't actually have to connect the tarp to the biners, I think.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Bonepile you reduce minimum by using alpine butterflies vs buries. Using alpines and butterflies I've gotten min distance down to sub 12ft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast