Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

Olddog's take on a SLS

First off I would like to Thank headchange4u and BearChaser for turning me on to the beauty of the SLS.

Their threads are herehttp://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719

and here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421

I used a modified version of Bearchaser's sytem last season and loved the ease and speed which it could be set up offering the ability to set the SLS and tarp and allowing the hammock to be hung later while completely covered and protected from any weather. On the version used last year I had short Alpine Butterfly Loops,2", spaced 144" apart centered on approximately 40' of 1/8" amsteel. Whoopies were made in each end of 1/8" amsteel for connecting to tree huggers.The tree huggers on this system need to be placed on the tree at 6.5 to 7' to allow for the deflection when loaded. The tarp with short mason line whoopies and small nitezes biners were connected to the ABLs and handled as a single unit. The hammock with 1100# biners were connected to the same ABLs used for the tarp. It was necessary once the hammock was hung to load the SLS and readjust the tension. Even though this was a great system being the normal hammocker I couldn't just leave well enough alone.

Even though I never had to deal with any rain on hangs last year having both the tarp and hammock suspenion lines on the same ABL raised concerns about rain running down into the hammock. This lead to the idea of moving the hammock connection under the tarp on a seperate set of ABLs so now I would have 4 ABLs. Even though I had tried prussiks on amsteel on previous versions I gave it another try with the same results. While pondering some way to attach loops to the SLS for the tarp I noticed a 7/64" double loop dogbone left over from my play with Redoleary's mini spreader bars. I cut it in half, pic #1, and using my folded wire amsteel tool pulled it inside the 1/8" amsteel SLS outboard of the ABLs, pic #2, and clipped up the tarp. Maybe not any lighter than the ABLs they replaced but seemed neater and cleaner. While examining my handiwork did a little pulling and tugging and realized that the loop was locked and didn't seem to want to move. This lead to the idea that the hammock ABL, pic#3, could also be replaced. Back to the 7/64" amsteel and 2 more loops were placed in the SLS just inboard of the tarp loops approximately 12". Did some weight and pull testing then connected the hammock whoopies to the toogles and gave it the full 220# load test, pic# 4, gravity lost and I won! Pic# 5 shows the relationship of the SLS whoopie tail, the tarp loop and the hammock loop.

Final results, replaced 2- 1100# biners @ 48g with 2 knitting needle toogles @ 8g. Amazing how little it takes to keep an old man occupied.

Approx 40" of 1/8" amsteel
    2- 6'x1" huggers
    4- alum. toogles
    total weight 5.9oz

For those lightweights among us this could probably be done with 7/64's and zingit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Cool!

Mike

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow olddog! Your SLS is getting sleeker looking all the time. I remember when your 1st version looked more like a sail boat rigging than hammock rigging!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    OldDog: Looking good and inspiring... thanks

Thinking cap on (now this is where it starts to get dangerous)...

'center line' with moving whoopie slings at the ends that connect to the eye of a treehugger (on both ends)

Other eye of treehugger has softshackle to it to act as dutch clip/carabiner and connect around the tree to the other end of the treehugger.

Basically that would give me one long line of amsteel between two trees. I know 1 moving loop of the whoopie sling should be enough but for ease of centering with different diameter trees this might be better...

two loops coming out of the amsteel SRL to attach my hammock too and two adjustable/movable prussik loops for the tarp....

Me thinks this should work, but this is all just theory for me now...

Might get this in practice and come back in a seperate thread... thanks for the inspiration y'all!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Sounds good, born. I like the two adjustable ends idea.

But instead of prusiks what about this? You could have fixed loops coming out of the SLS that fit your tarp and already centered on the hammock. I wonder if burying loops of shock cord might work; then clip the tarp to them with mini or S biners or soft shackles.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 09-22-2012 at 07:56.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    OldDog: Looking good and inspiring... thanks

Thinking cap on (now this is where it starts to get dangerous)...

'center line' with moving whoopie slings at the ends that connect to the eye of a treehugger (on both ends)

Other eye of treehugger has softshackle to it to act as dutch clip/carabiner and connect around the tree to the other end of the treehugger.

Basically that would give me one long line of amsteel between two trees. I know 1 moving loop of the whoopie sling should be enough but for ease of centering with different diameter trees this might be better...

two loops coming out of the amsteel SRL to attach my hammock too and two adjustable/movable prussik loops for the tarp....

Me thinks this should work, but this is all just theory for me now...

Might get this in practice and come back in a seperate thread... thanks for the inspiration y'all!

Grtz Johan
    Like your way of thinking Born! If I understand correctly the whoopie end eyes would be ran through the loops on one end of each hugger and the other end of the huggers soft shackled back around the hugger. That would eliminate 2 of my toogles and have the huggers permanently attached and I wouldn't lose/leave them like the last set. Goodluck with the prussiks, didn't have much success with them which is what planted the idea for the buried tarp loops.Back to the test trees.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Wow olddog! Your SLS is getting sleeker looking all the time. I remember when your 1st version looked more like a sail boat rigging than hammock rigging!
    Yeah, that was the USS Hammock. Might be a picture floating around of that one.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Without much tension in the SLS the distance between trees has to be met with relative elevation on the trees: the further apart the trees the higher the straps need to be placed, for instance. Before long you run out of the ability to hang.

When the Warbonnet strap and buckle order gets here I can experiment with cranking tension into the line by the tag end of the straps. The more tension applied the more the line acts as a beam and less as a sling, rhetorically speaking. A 300 pound man could put more into it in the field than a 165 pound man but for every pound of tension impartd to the line you gain elevation in your own favor, keeping things down here where people live, putting our machines to work!

Those burried loops open up a whole new world, huh?

Very cool, olddog.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 09-22-2012 at 12:02.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Those burried loops open up a whole new world, huh?

Very cool, olddog.

Mike

Mike
    Can't recall ever seeing the buried loops used before but with my limited experience so far that are super simple and can be installed just about anywhere along the SLS. As a matter of fact they could be used in any suspension using amsteel.Thinking about installing 2 more around 3' apart toward the foot end of the SLS for a mini gear hammock mostly for shoes and such to keep them away from critters.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Took born2roam's advice and ran the whoopies on each end of the single line suspension(SLS) through one of the end loops of each tree hugger. Made 4 nacrabiners to replace the toggles on the tree huggers and the hammock connection. Hardware on the SLS with tarp attached now consist of 2- #1 s-biners for the tarp and 4 stakes. Pics to follow.

Weight of SLS now @ 5.7oz with 4 nacrabiners versus toggles.
    Last edited by olddog; 09-25-2012 at 18:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast