WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Unhappy with WBBB suspension

I got a WBBB for my birthday and while it is a great hammock, I am disappointed in the suspension. It has the two triangles and as I am sure most of you are aware, these are easy to tighten, but difficult to loosen, especially one handed. I previously used a Hennessy as well as a DIY hammock that used whoopie slings and marlin spikes on Harbor Freight tie-down straps. I was unhappy with these as well because once the hammock had been loaded, the sling lodged itself underneath the knot on the strap and couldn't be adjusted without pulling it free. I was considering reversing the whoopie sling, so that the adjustable end went through a carabiner or a descender ring or a continuous loop or something and the fixed loop went over the hitch. Has anyone tried that? I am also considering getting a couple of pairs of descender rings and feeding the WBBB straps through that. It seems like that should be easier to adjust than the two triangles. True, you have to add a slippery half hitch to secure it, but I am comfortable with knots. I believe there is also a cinch buckle for sale somewhere. How does that compare?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I'm with you. I hate those cinch buckles. I actually had to cruise the forum to pick up a different set of buckles that Brandon used to use. Instead of being flat triangles, they are round. A lot easier to loosen up. Completely trumps needing the half-hitch in my opinion.

I have seen the fixed loop over the marlin spike. You could set up the adjustable end just as you describe. Works well. Just check out the all-in-one whoopie kit. Similar principle.

There are also different buckles out there. Onrope1 has 1" buckles for sale that I believe are a little easier to adjust. You'll just need a loop of some kind to attach it to your hammock. Amsteel or similar would probably work best.

Good luck on your quest!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    My advice as a fellow WBBB hanger is get rid of the straps and add a Dutchwear suspension system. http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/

It took about 5 min to change the suspension. It is supper easy to adjust. Just make sure you don't forget your tree straps on the trees! Best $39 I have spent on hammock stuff.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    FWIW...I thought the strap and buckles were hard to adjust as well until I learned the right way to release them shown at about 0:42 here.

I've never had a whoopie sling get under the MSH knot and cause difficulty adjusting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    FWIW...I thought the strap and buckles were hard to adjust as well until I learned the right way to release them shown at about 0:42 here.

I've never had a whoopie sling get under the MSH knot and cause difficulty adjusting.
    I do the same on my BB as the video and its easy enough but I do find descender rings easier to adjust and as you said, a slippery half hitch is no biggie.

I have my descender rings on my ENO's secured with a prusik instead of just a larkshead. The couple of extra turns around the rings really keep the rings tight and aligned and I actually do not need the slippery half hitch back up. The trade off is the rings do not come apart that much and so feeding the webbing through takes a bit more effort initially. I leave the webbing fed through the rings for set up and take down so its not really an issue though.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The onrope1 buckles are the best solution. Except. They are relatively heavy.

Descender rings are good, but bulky.

Whoopies utilize tree straps, two extra pieces of gear that can be left behind when you pack up. Like tent stakes.We've all done it.

I agree that the WB buckles can be frustrating, and I don't use them for that reason. Still, in a world ruled by compromise and trade-offs, they look pretty good. Light, compact, reliable...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    My advice as a fellow WBBB hanger is get rid of the straps and add a Dutchwear suspension system. http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/

It took about 5 min to change the suspension. It is supper easy to adjust. Just make sure you don't forget your tree straps on the trees! Best $39 I have spent on hammock stuff.
    I just made this same change to my WBBB and really like it. Saves a lot of weight as well.

--louis

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I switched mine to whoopie msh...then i went ahead and splurged on the dutchware all in one where there is the amsteel loop at the hammock and the whoopie is larksheaded onto the tree strap..beautiful set up for my wbbb
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use the Dutch suspension of woopie hooks spliced onto adjustable end fixed eye larks headed onto tree strap and absolutely love it and find it so easy and convenient. Its on all my hammocks

As for the triangles. I prefer then over the other buckles (use them on my WBRR) cause I am not a knot person and dont have to tie off the strap behind the buckle. But yes easy to tighten a bit finky to loosen.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    XL Rain Fly
    Insulation
    Not yet known
    Suspension
    strp/cb/rappelring
    This what I use to hang my Clark. The only negative I can find is it a heavy suspension if one does a lot of hiking. I don't hike just ride my motorcycle and camp out. Like the video shows it can be hung with one hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTj...endscreen&NR=1
    Marland

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast