Thread: sewing mechine

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

sewing mechine

I know this is not a sewing machine or even a sewing forum but I am trying to sew my bugnet. I have the cheapest machine money can buy. The directions are minimal. I am having trouble going from bottom bobbin to the thread lopped up and out the hole. I even tried YouTube but the one video I found was grainy and still left out the part I feel I am missing. First this is a machine called easysew. I know its garbage, I only need it to sew a few things for my bugnet. I have threaded the bottom bobbin correctly. I believe I have inserted it correctly, but when I manually spin the needle it never grabs the bottom thread. I wish I could post pics but I have not been able to before.

Sounds like your timing is off
    Last edited by docmusolf; 09-23-2012 at 09:50. Reason: Mis spelled word

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    the bottom bobbin doesn't spin. Just the case it fits into so I can't see how its suppose to catch the needle.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    In case you didn't, thread the needle with the upper thread, pull out about 6" of thread from the needle and hold onto it. Now turn the hand wheel and the upper thread should pick up the lower thread.

The bobbin case that spins around the bobbin has a hook on it that hooks the upper thread and wraps it around the lower thread...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The bobbin doesn't spin, only the carriage; the shuttle hook picks the top thread from the needle.

1) Insert the bobbin.
    2) Thread the machine according to the directions, all the way through the needle.
    3) Pull several inches out through the needle and hold on to it.
    4) using your hand rotate the pulley/hand wheel a full cycle (needle goes all the way down and all the way back up).
    5) Pull the thread in your hand, this will pull the lower thread up through the needle plate.
    6) Use small scissors or seam ripper to grab both threads from under presser foot.
    7) trim threads to a few inches and get ready to sew.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    In case you didn't, thread the needle with the upper thread, pull out about 6" of thread from the needle and hold onto it. Now turn the hand wheel and the upper thread should pick up the lower thread.

The bobbin case that spins around the bobbin has a hook on it that hooks the upper thread and wraps it around the lower thread...
    great illustration.I am going to try something I think I may have been doing wrong. My bobbin is horizontal not vertical. I believe I was holding the line tight. I had mad what I thought was a mistake a few times where the upper got caught around the case but wasn't able to get it looped. I may know my issue now.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    great illustration.I am going to try something I think I may have been doing wrong. My bobbin is horizontal not vertical. I believe I was holding the line tight. I had mad what I thought was a mistake a few times where the upper got caught around the case but wasn't able to get it looped. I may know my issue now.
    now I got it looped but its not sticking?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    now I got it looped but its not sticking?
    Not sure what you mean. You may need to pull out both the upper and lower threads about 6" and hold them while you start sewing on fabric to keep the lower thread from disappearing or the top thread from pulling out of the needle.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You will not _see_ a loop. In fact, if you do your tension settings need to be adjusted. Holding the needle thread and turning the fly wheel one complete turn will bring the bobbin thread up and into position. Make sure you start and finish with the take up arm in the upper most position. Otherwise you will have problems. At that point the bobbin thread and spool thread are totally separate. As you start to so a "lock stitch" is formed. The twist should be buried between the layers of fabric. You won't _see_ but you'll know it is there because the fabric stays joined.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    When things go wrong at the needle or bobbin, be sure that all of the threading is correct. Sometimes it comes undone in the course of opening doors and fiddling with needle, bobbin, and bobbin case.

So, always check the complete thread path, or you can get very frustrated, giving up on a fix that really was the right one. Not the time to hurry.

• + New Posts