DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Just thought I would add this link to the thread - this was a very good thread on breathability of pads vs. uq.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5373

I wonder if you're less likely to get sweaty on a ridgerest compared to a smooth pad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    What type of sleeping bag did you use?
    I had an old 5*F NF Polarguard mummy bag, probably plus fleece clothing. But I was so abundantly warm underneath, this was one of the few times I was successful using the bag as a quilt. Prior to that, drafts around the shoulders, especially if I moved, had kept me from being warm enough quilt style with a mummy bag and their narrow cut around the shoulders. But this time, I was able to get rid of some accessory items that I had been using to boost warmth ( fewer layers, neck gator etc), and still stay warm enough quilt style. I attribute that mainly to having had PLENTY of warmth underneath( but who knows). I'm sure I could have gone a fair bit lower as far as back warmth.

To follow up, a little while ago I went out and threw a full length 20" wide RR in the BMBH, with a 1/2 length, 20" wide WM blue pad under the torso to upper leg section, on the bottom. For the 15 minutes or so I was there, it worked fine. I went from back to side several times, and all appeared to stay in place, even with the narrow pads. It was only about 50*F ( and windy though), but I felt that immediate luxurious warmth on my back, the kind I associate with pads. But I don't know if they would stay aligned through a night. (But 25" wide pads probably would for sure.) Of course, it has a different "feel" than with an UQ or just hammock alone. Probably not as nice feeling, but sure 'nuff warm.

Images
    I wonder if you're less likely to get sweaty on a ridgerest compared to a smooth pad.
    I suspect so. That is why I put the RR on top of the WW blue pad. But, the time I stacked those pads in an SPE, I had my smooth TR inflatable UL on top, and I never had any sweat issues at all. Not that I could tell, anyway. Who knows if my fleece absorbed some, or how much.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Convoluted pads didn't make much difference for me re: sweaty back.

But it helped me to use the bag on top as a quilt rather than getting inside. Easier to stay on the pads for one thing, but also when I had the bag between my body and pad it soaked up the sweat like a sponge.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

good thread, I was camping last weekend and i use a WM blue pad that i cut 2 - 12" pieces off the length and laced them to the sides as wings to cover my shoulders. this works good because i can fold them under if not needed and also i fold them in to roll up. I also use a REI 0* bag with this and have been in sleet mid to low 30's with no problem. But using a HH Asym it is hard to get the pad and the bag arranged before i get in. Then it takes some effort to get it all aligned right before i go off to sleep. I was wondering if anyone had tried to make something so the pad can be attached to the bottom of the bag and yet be removable for packing up? Just a thought
    I would love to hear any ideas

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by No Trail Name View Post
    good thread, I was camping last weekend and i use a WM blue pad that i cut 2 - 12" pieces off the length and laced them to the sides as wings to cover my shoulders. this works good because i can fold them under if not needed and also i fold them in to roll up. I also use a REI 0* bag with this and have been in sleet mid to low 30's with no problem. But using a HH Asym it is hard to get the pad and the bag arranged before i get in. Then it takes some effort to get it all aligned right before i go off to sleep. I was wondering if anyone had tried to make something so the pad can be attached to the bottom of the bag and yet be removable for packing up? Just a thought
    I would love to hear any ideas
    You might find as Speer SPE helpful for keeping every thing in place, even as you are getting in. But a pad is a bit easier to deal with with a top loader. Or better yet, any hammock with a pad sleeve.

Images

Speer SPE

I've got an SPE that I'm not using. If you're interested PM me.

Jeff, Sparta, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I have found the UQ to be much warmer than a bag/pad combo, IMO. Now, if I had an Exped DownMat, that might be a different story. I started as just a pad/bag guy, but as long as I have a UQ, I will use it over a pad/bag combo anytime.
    You're right. I tried it for real saturday night. It got down to the upper 30's. I was really cold. It was a lonnngggg night! It felt like I was sleeping on a block of ice.

Images
    You're right. I tried it for real saturday night. It got down to the upper 30's. I was really cold. It was a lonnngggg night! It felt like I was sleeping on a block of ice.
    So you are saying that using the Ridgerest in the upper 30s, it was too cold? Did you happen to notice if you were cold only under your back, or was it your legs and feet also? ( I'm assuming that inadequate top insulation played no part, no drafts causing cold when you tried to use a bag as a quilt?

Anyway, if it was just your back that was cold, just take a 1/2 length $6 Walmart blue pad and put it under ( or on top) of that Ridgerest. That should make a big difference. If it was also your feet and legs, use it full length.

If you think you need full width ( were your arms and shoulders cold?), just cut that WM pad into 2 or more 25" widths and insert into the JRB so that they cover from side to side. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast