Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you are saying that using the Ridgerest in the upper 30s, it was too cold? Did you happen to notice if you were cold only under your back, or was it your legs and feet also? ( I'm assuming that inadequate top insulation played no part, no drafts causing cold when you tried to use a bag as a quilt?

Anyway, if it was just your back that was cold, just take a 1/2 length $6 Walmart blue pad and put it under ( or on top) of that Ridgerest. That should make a big difference. If it was also your feet and legs, use it full length.

If you think you need full width ( were your arms and shoulders cold?), just cut that WM pad into 2 or more 25" widths and insert into the JRB so that they cover from side to side. Good luck!
    The cold was almost entirely from underneath. The full length. To cure the problem with pads I would have to have another 25X77 pad. Then you'd really be getting into some serious weight, I think. The ridgerest large is 19 ounces. Plus it would be really bulky.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The cold was almost entirely from underneath. The full length. To cure the problem with pads I would have to have another 25X77 pad. Then you'd really be getting into some serious weight, I think. The ridgerest large is 19 ounces. Plus it would be really bulky.
    Was it from directly underneath, like in the middle of your back, or more to the sides? If it was directly underneath then the pad was just plain inadequate for how cold you sleep. If it was from the sides it was a coverage issue and there are several tricks to fix that.

Rather than adding another pad, I recently became a huge fan of the Exped inflatable mats. A Downmat 7 is about ten ounces heavier than the ridgerest, but it's significantly less bulky and has twice the insulation value. For 5 more ounces, the Downmat 9 is three times as much insulation as the ridgerest.

Images
    Yep, if you need 2 full length and width, that is getting a bit much. 38 oz is a lot just for high 30s, plus a lot of bulk. However, you may well not need another pad of equal thickness and weight, but maybe just a 1/4" pad in addition to the Ridgerest.

But I am surprised your feet/legs were cold with even one Ridgerest pad in the high 30s. I'm saying that because many folks have reported needing much less under their legs than under their torso, as people have been using 1/2 length quilts under their upper bodies, with their packs or thin pads under their legs. Actually, I slept out in my JRB BMBH the other night. I have been trying to get the WB torso length UQ to work on it, with at least some success. But I forgot my pads, and was to lazy to drive back to get them. So all I had under my legs was my synthetic Cat's Meow bag. It got down to 40*F ( no wind ) and I slept out under the stars, no tarp. I did OK, though not great. By the time the night was over, I was a little cool under my legs, but not enough to make me go in. Just barely uncomfortable. I definitely could have used my pad and would have been happy to have it. But a very thin pad would have been all I needed, at least under my legs.

But if your legs were cold, then they were cold. One last thing also to consider is that Youngblood has said that pads with ridges, like the Ridgerest, might not be as warm in a hammock as on the ground, or as warm as a non ridge pad of equal thickness. I think that is a correct quote, anyway.

I bet adding a 20" wide WM blue pad($6) full length, you would be fine. And warm enough under your core that you might not even need it full length. Or maybe cut it and add a wide section under just your torso, and a small section under your feet.

Anyway, sorry you have had a tough time with it. I know you are not going to put a lot of bucks into an UQ if you have decided to car camp only and are planning on going back to the ground.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Was it from directly underneath, like in the middle of your back, or more to the sides? If it was directly underneath then the pad was just plain inadequate for how cold you sleep. If it was from the sides it was a coverage issue and there are several tricks to fix that.

Rather than adding another pad, I recently became a huge fan of the Exped inflatable mats. A Downmat 7 is about ten ounces heavier than the ridgerest, but it's significantly less bulky and has twice the insulation value. For 5 more ounces, the Downmat 9 is three times as much insulation as the ridgerest.
    Yes, those really add a lot of warmth for the weight, but don't take up near as much room. How wide are those pads? Of course, it might be better to get thinner models and use an SPE with wings.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, those really add a lot of warmth for the weight, but don't take up near as much room. How wide are those pads? Of course, it might be better to get thinner models and use an SPE with wings.
    I've been considering getting a Downmat for my bridge. Gotta figure out what number and what size. SAC will occasionally have good deals on them.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The standard size downmat is 20x70, and the DLX is 26x76, for both the 7 and the 9. The only difference between 7 and 9 is thickness. For me, weight and compressibility weren't huge issues, so I went with the less expensive Synmat 7 DLX to get a bit more shoulder coverage. So far it's worked out beautifully, but I could see it being a bit tight in a bridge hammock with a lot of shoulder squeeze - my warbonnet has a lot of space around the shoulders so they don't get too compressed.

I picked mine up from REI - the incredibly generous return policy has protected me from some not-so-smart purchase decisions in the past, and I know if I return something there, another member of the coop is going to get a good deal on the gear at the next scratch-n-dent sale. I've never seen one on Steepandcheap, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled now (thanks a lot )

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post

It was in the middle. The pad I was using is 25". Someone mentioned that the ridge rest might not work as well as others because it is designed to trap air. I think this is correct. It's really a very thin mattress and it may only work if it's on the ground where it can trap air.

That downmat sounds like it would work really well especially if it comes in a 25-26" width. I would not recommend using a 20" pad for 2 reasons. One is that it would shift inside the pad sleeve and two is that it wouldn't provide good coverage.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    It was in the middle. The pad I was using is 25". Someone mentioned that the ridge rest might not work as well as others because it is designed to trap air. I think this is correct. It's really a very thin mattress and it may only work if it's on the ground where it can trap air.

That downmat sounds like it would work really well especially if it comes in a 25-26" width. I would not recommend using a 20" pad for 2 reasons. One is that it would shift inside the pad sleeve and two is that it wouldn't provide good coverage.
    The Ridgerest works just fine in my bridge hammock. A 20" wide downmat with a Speer SPE should work well used outside of the pad sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The Ridgerest works just fine in my bridge hammock. A 20" wide downmat with a Speer SPE should work well used outside of the pad sleeve.
    I guess it's all relative. I'm a cold sleeper plus it must have got down close to freezing. The forecast was a low of 40F but part of my camp towel was stiff in the morning.

There's a slightly thicker ridgerest I think it's called the ridgerest deluxe. It's like .75" compared to .61". That's only 20% thicker though.

The true test would be for someone to try all these different options in their backyard at the same time to see what is the warmest you can get for a given weight. I'm starting to think a down UQ combined with a down sleeping bag would be warmest by weight.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I guess it's all relative. I'm a cold sleeper plus it must have got down close to freezing. The forecast was a low of 40F but part of my camp towel was stiff in the morning.

There's a slightly thicker ridgerest I think it's called the ridgerest deluxe. It's like .75" compared to .61". That's only 20% thicker though.

The true test would be for someone to try all these different options in their backyard at the same time to see what is the warmest you can get for a given weight. I'm starting to think a down UQ combined with a down sleeping bag would be warmest by weight.
    I have the Ridgerest deluxe. NIce pad. Now that I think about it, using a SPE with a downmat might not work as well as I'm thinking. Assuming a 20" wide downmat. I normally only use one pad in each wing sleeve in the SPE and this would leave the pad/wing combo pretty uneven.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast