Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Images
    I have a "quick " camp place as well..when the world bs level has gotten too high i grab my pack and canoe and go 5 miles from home to the choctawhatchee river...i put in ...kiss my wife( she is a great canoe wife) ...she goes and drops my jeep off at the take out point...it is only a 5 hr run so i canoe slow enjoy he world..work out what ever is bothering me..make a slash camp( hammock in trees beside sandbar)..fish alittle.. i usually stop about a half mile above the take out point so in the am ..i am up and to the jeep in just a few min..run home shower shave and back to the work place..it does wonders for my stress level..
    bikenque..you said they stake the wheels and use guy lines........why not turn the bike over and set it onthe handlebars/seat..then use the wheels as the ridgeline..would seem to be more stable to me..
    Last edited by blackie; 04-13-2007 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    bikenque..you said they stake the wheels and use guy lines........why not turn the bike over and set it on the handlebars/seat..then use the wheels as the ridgeline..would seem to be more stable to me..
    No, that poses several problems. My bags are attached to the bike so they would end up upside down, the ground would scuff my leather seat and grips, potentially knock brake levers out of alignment, etc, etc.

Bikes function best with the rubber side down.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammocks hammocks hammocks....
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Hammocks hammocks hammocks....
    The whole forum is about hammocks. Do you want us to talk about nothing but hammocks? You can't have a thread about bicycles and hammocks without talking about bicycles. It's almost as if you want to leave bicycles out of the thread. What's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    The whole forum is about hammocks. Do you want us to talk about nothing but hammocks?
    Jeff, I side with funbun here. I'm new to this hammock forum, but I'm a long time member of many others. Forums should be a good place to discuss the main topic as well as sharing information that intersects with other related topics.

This thread has not veered off either topic, the two topics in the heading being hammocks and bicycle touring: bike tripping w/ hammock >> bike as hammock stand >> flipping bike upside down as hammock stand >> my reasons why bikes shouldn't be flipped upside down (to be used as a hammock stand).

I have lots of experience as a bike tourer but am just getting into hammock camping. I've learned a great deal from posters in this forum and hopefully I can share my experience as a bike camper to inform and encourage other members. That being said, I will remain conscientious of staying on topic in the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, the whole forum is about hammocks. There are hiking forums, biking forums, camping forums...but only one hammock forum (well, there's Yahoo hammockcamping group but it's an email list rather than a forum).

Talking about how you use a hammock on bike touring is on topic. Technical details about bikes belong on one of the bike forums or in a PM. A post or two isn't a big deal, but when the focus of the thread is no longer hammocks, please try to steer it back on topic. That's all...not trying to be a nazi, but this is a niche forum, not a general outdoors forum.

=====

Edit - you guys were talking about hanging the hammock from the bike? Sounded like you were talking about pitching a tarp on the ground with the bike...my mistake if that's not what you meant. But as a general guideline for the future, please keep the above in mind.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 04-13-2007 at 15:38.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And if the trailer is strong enough for a person to stand on it, you could pitch the hammock so the trailer could be like a front porch at the hammock's entrance. Keeps everything under the tarp, off the ground and out of the mud. Might be tough to keep the whole bike under the tarp and have the trailer positioned correctly though.

Images
    When doing a lot of climbing in the mountains the trailer will give you handling problems at slow speeds. Coming down at high speeds can suck also. If you've ever hauled a trailer with your car in the mountains you'll know what I'm talking about. Plus they're more suited for going into campgrounds and grassy tenting areas then they are for getting into stealthy hammocking spots. Going into the woods requires you to have to carry the bike over some obstacles like downed trees and such. You'd have to unhitch the trailer, carry in the bike and then come back after the trailer.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

I plan on using my hommock this summer while touring. It gives you more "stealth" options to camp. I just built up my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Haven't toured in 20 years and can't wait to go!

Trailers = increased roll resistance and drag.

Where as hikers are ever lightening up, cyclists are trying to decease roll resistance and increase aerodynamic efficiency. That's why I use a recumbent highracer. There is an inverse relationship between the diameter of a bicycle wheel and it's roll resistance: smaller wheels = higher roll resistance; bigger the wheels = lesser the roll resistance.

Many touring bikes use 26 inch wheel and some use 700c wheel. Yet trailers have 16 to 20 inch wheel(s). Some trailers have two wheels some only have one. Either way you'd be adding enough roll resistance that it will feel like pulling another bicycle or more. You average speed will slow down a bunch (two or three miles per hour).

Plus panniers are attached to the bike. You could use one of your gear hammocks. Maybe two if you wanted. Or just make some pack covers.

Tourists are concerned about weight, but roll resistance and aerodynamics are more important IMO. So when reducing weight, concentrate on buying better, lighter, stronger components for your bike (like XT level or higher)l. That's where most tourists reduce weight.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-14-2007 at 16:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast