Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think my posture is too bad for that - I couldn't sit up straight on a unicycle for that long! And I'd have to put gears on it, too - a 21 speed unicycle so I can work smarter not harder. I'm lazy like that!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Hey FunBun, when you get out on the Underground Railroad Route tell Joy Santee "Barefoot Brian" say's hello. I rode with her and her parter their first couple of days on her TransAm crossing last year. Her first night of camping we had a horrible thunder storm come thru Va. She thought my hammock was the weirdest thing she ever saw. Both girls spent the night sleeping on picknick tables with their gear drying on the rafters of a shelter. I was high and dry under a Hennessy hex.
    To see my bikin page see: http://www.petritsch.net/jarvis
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Images
    And to answer some of Jeff's original questions. I've been bike touring for 30 something years now. I use to carry a small pup tent with fly and a string hammock. I first used a hammock on my 1978 crossing of the US. Since I found the Hennessy I just hammock. You have to be prepared to go to ground a lot more. Sometimes your just not in tree covered areas. And yes you have to be prepared for noise. Normally I can see the cars passing from my camp site. So colors that blend into the woods are a must. Blue is the worst, nothing stands out in the woods more. I go down the road until I find a quite spot and then waite for a break in the traffic and then shoot into the woods. I don't make fires or use flashlights so that I don't get spotted. And normally I don't carry cooking gear because I'm passing stores all the time and I can grab food as I go.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That sounds pretty fun...I might have to get into biking so I can cover more miles and see more sights when I camp with the kids. Might have to wait until they can work the gears though - big hills on a bike with no gears ain't much fun!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    the only bad thing about biking is the crazy drivers on the road.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - and the farther you get out into the country the more red necks you run into...so it doesn't get any better!

Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    To see my bikin page see: http://www.petritsch.net/jarvis
    Wow, you make lugged frames?

Images
    No, the frame was made by Trevor Jarvis in England. I had him custom build it to my specs. I just put it together. That's another thing about touring. Learn how to fix your own because you never know where you'll be when "it" happens.
    The comment about the red neck drivers is well understood. I've been cussed at and swirved at. On two occasions I've had bottles hit me in the back and numerous misses. And FYI 16oz Pepsi bottles hurt much worse than 12oz beer bottles. I for one am greatful for the invention of plastic. But over the years for every one of those experiences I've had a 1000 great ones.

Yeah, it'd be worth it to go to your LBS (local bike shop) and tell them that you're planning a tour and need to learn how to fix everything on your bike. I bet they would help.

Images
    Having the front bags actually helps with stability. I started out just using back bags and a handle bar bag, that set up would cause the back of the bike to feel like it was whipping around on you and the front end would want to lever up if you leaned the bike over too much. Having bags back and front distributes the weight better. And the lower you get the weight the better. You also have to play with the positioning of the bags and the weight they carry to "tune the load to your bike". I try to put the heavy stuff and the things I wont need until camp time in the front so that I don't disturb the load when riding. The back bags are for JRB's and frequently changed clothes and food.I like to have the rear bags as far forward as I can so they just clear my heals by an inch when I'm peddling. That moves as much weight as you can in front of the rear axle. The fronts I like to have the center of the bag behind the front axle a little. I've lost the handle bar bag all together as it tends to destabilize the steering and adds a lot of front drag and blocks air flow to the saddle area. Weight distribution from right to left has to be as even as you can get it. That bike has 9000 miles on it so I've got it tweeked to the point where I can ride all day with no hands unless I have a side wind.
    Set up for winter riding/camping (which would be the same gear I'd take for doing something like the TransAm) I'm carrying about 45 pounds bags included. For the summer and short trips I can cut it down to 35. I carry tools to fix the bike, spare tubes and patch kits with a tire pump, grease, chain lube, spare screws, spare spokes, extra couple links of chain and cycling clothes. And the bike comes in at 27lb. without water.
    If I just carried the gear I needed to hike with you people I'd only have a little over 20 pounds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast