1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Smile DBLOCK's project thread

OK - High level plan - make some hammocks.

Found me a machine at Goodwill: Kenmore 385.1278180. It looks pristine and operates quietly. Missing the shuttle so I can't verify if it actually sews though. One on order for $13 from Searsparts and 7 day return policy... I think I got a killer deal on a basic machine. First project is to dismantle it and clean/lube everything. Thank God for YouTube! Hmm - debates abound over oscillating vs rotating shuttles - I guess I'll have to read up a little.

I found a 36" bolt of nylon for $1/yd so will be starting with some bags for practice. BTW, I haven't sewed since Home Ec. way back when. Wish me luck...

Found the fabric I want to use for my first project, Amsteel, and rings at DIY Gear Supply. I'm going with the 1.4 OZ Ripstop 2nds (7yds). Enough 7/64 amsteel to make a couple whoopie slings, and I'm also adding descender rings on each end for flexability for the time being. If this project works out, I think I may try the taffeta tablecloth as it sounds like it's already hemmed.

Found some load rated tubular webbing at REI

I am focussed on outfitting the crew for an excursion next summer. I figure this will get us all involved to some degree and give us something to look forward to.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    This should be a short YouTube link of the new machine after cleaning...

http://youtu.be/-vtJIWP5q9g

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    Here's a couple pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sounds like you've got a plan! Good luck with everything, and let us know how it turns out!

As far as the webbing, if you haven't already ordered, I'd skip the nylon webbing. Nylon stretches under load, which is wonderful for climbing (it means that it acts as a shock absorber during fall arrests) but terrible for hammocking (it means you can wind up on the ground due to the stretch overnight). Look at DIY Gear Supply's poly webbing; it'll work just fine for this application.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    Thanks for the info on the webbing - I thought the REI webbing was the stuff I should get - I'll look at the DIY website...

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I searched youtube for "how to clean a sewing machine" and settled on the following video which also covers oiling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYV3hbqF4U

I'm still waiting for the shuttle hook to arrive - thumbs down for searspartsdirect customer support on this issue.

BTW here's how to time a Kenmore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymJN-mnqQVM

My oldest daughter is eyeing this machine to make her prom dress. Am I gonna have to keep it in a locked room?

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I met up with Ack, a fellow island bum, on Saturday to take in a gun show and he brought a few material scraps I could play around with as I learn the fine art of making gear.

One piece is a lightweight ripstop nylon, one is a little heavier weight nylon/cotton blend, and one is a heavy weight urethane coated nylon cordura.

I already have plenty of ideas for ripstop nylon...

I was thinking I'd reubuild my backpack using the cordura so maybe I'll save it for later as it looks like a bit bigger job than I'm ready to tackle right now.

However, I have no ideas for the nylon cotton blend material. What would be a good use for this stuff as far as small projects go?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Those $1 bins at Wallyworld are ht and miss. I found some Camo and ripstop fabric two years ago but none since then. As I have just about gone thru the fabric making stuff bags ect its time to look elsewhere.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    DIY Gear Supply treated me well... Found all I needed there. There's another supplier on the East Coast on the forums by the name of LarryFink (Magna Fabrics) I've heard good things about too,,,.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Those $1 bins at Wallyworld are ht and miss. I found some Camo and ripstop fabric two years ago but none since then. As I have just about gone thru the fabric making stuff bags ect its time to look elsewhere.
    Last edited by DBLOCK; 10-21-2012 at 19:04. Reason: Remembered a name

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Traded Kenmore 385 for Necchi BU Nova & White model 530

I traded the Kenmore in for a couple older machines that look like they'll be more capable of handling heavier projects.

Both cleaned up well and the Nova is in work as we speak. Making pillow cases tonight using a 50/50 blend that is a little heavier duty than the ripstop I'd been using. It came together nicely and I note it's a bit more clumsy than the ripstop but holds its shape better and doesn't slide around. I'm going to try a couple hammocks out of this stuff and see how they work out for a couple of us heavier hangers.

So, as the projects go, the machines are great diversions to work on and learn about. The things I can make on them will get more complex and I can already see the change in the quality of my stitch since I first started. Admittedly, I've simplified my edges. This time, I also played with a zig zag stitch since the case I'm replacing had this stitch...

I seem to remember some mention of a Necchi forum somewhere I could join. Does anyone have a link they could point me towards?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast