Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    The main drawback to a hammock/sleeping bag is you no longer have the ability to swap out different quilts/under quilts to adjust for temperature, plus you loose the ability to vent the bottom portion of the sleeping bag. The Panda hammock/sleeping bag idea is great, if your hiking in cold weather, not so great if your hiking in 50 to 60 degree night time weather. It's nice to have options.

so a hammock bag akin to the us sleep system would be good,the bag is actually 2 2 season bags,spring summer you use with 1 bag and zip the other in for winter.

Images
    if it zips on and off then what's the benefit over a normal uq or tq? the only reason i could see for it being "built-in" would be to eliminate the weight of the uq suspension which isn't even that heavy. if you're replacing the uq suspension with a bunch of zipper, then how are you any better off? the zipper would probably be heavier than an uq suspension anyway. a topquilt doesn't even have a suspension so no real way to improve upon that. what's more is that the vast majority of people don't like being zipped up in a sleeping bag inside the hammock anyway and prefer to use a tq or use a sleeping bag unzipped and just cover up with it (used like a tq) as it's much less confining. if my topquilt was permanently attached to my hammock i don't see how that would be any benefit even if i could remove and replace with a different thickness, i can already do that now and don't need zipper on my insulation to do it. i'd be curious to see if there's any weight saved by going this route, but i'm not seeing it.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-26-2012 at 11:27.

thanks for the imput mate,i am by nature one to look at an idea ,item or a method and think of improving it,some times it works out some times not,had a job where i cut the production time of manufacture by 70% for my employer ,who then made me redundant as he could cope with the now easier job........doh!

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One thing I do not particularly like about the mesh style hammocks is the pressure points it creates on the body after a long nights sleep. I ended up falling asleep on one at my inlaws house, and when I woke up, I felt like I that five point death hit from a ninja done on me. It took me awhile to recover from sleeping limbs
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Why not have a tent that has a pad built in? Might as well have a sleeping bag built in as well. Just trying to point out that there isn't as much difference as it seems between hammocks and tents - except that the ground is hard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12