WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks

Hang lines or ridgelines for storage?

decided to post in here but not sure if this applies. does anyone have a system in which they can hang their pack and other gear under their hammock? im not a fan of having it hang over me in the hammock (i have a blackbird) and i obviously want it to fit under my tarp. any suggestions?

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I sometimes use a soft shackle or biner to hang it on the end of the hammock suspension.
    If I can put most of my gear on the ground IV also buy generic ir from the tarp Ridgeline but the pack needs to be pretty light for this.

More often than not though it gets attached to a tree, even in rainy weather.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I mini gear hammock would work. Check out Jeff's gear hammock at JRB here Versatile piece of kit.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Night Owl - WL
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator & XXL
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I have two sets of Whoppie slings attached to my 12' long tree straps. My longer whoopie set (6') I use for my hammock and the shorter one (4') I use with a 10x10 Silnylon tarp where I gather each end in a knot and make a gear sling. Both are attached with a Marlins Pike and a biner. With the 12' long straps I have full flexability on where I put my hammock and gear sling. It also gives me a lot of distance to hang if trees are farther apart and I just wrap up the extra strap and tie it off to itself.
    Hope this helps.

I bought a mesh hammock from DD, which I intend to sling under my hammock so it's within easy reach and I can store my clothes & boots etc.

I'd like to find a way to attach it permanently to the hammock but that would get in the way of an under quilt in winter.

Here's the link, if you're interested: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/mesh-hammock

Quote Originally Posted by stcannon1 View Post
    I have two sets of Whoppie slings attached to my 12' long tree straps. My longer whoopie set (6') I use for my hammock and the shorter one (4') I use with a 10x10 Silnylon tarp where I gather each end in a knot and make a gear sling. Both are attached with a Marlins Pike and a biner. With the 12' long straps I have full flexability on where I put my hammock and gear sling. It also gives me a lot of distance to hang if trees are farther apart and I just wrap up the extra strap and tie it off to itself.
    Hope this helps.
    Just out of interest, where did you get your 12' tree straps? If they're DIY, I'd love to know more. If they're shop bought, a link would be great =D) (I'm liking the double whoopie sling idea as a sort of semi-permenant yet adjustable setup).

Hammock
    Night Owl - WL
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator & XXL
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRomani View Post
    Just out of interest, where did you get your 12' tree straps? If they're DIY, I'd love to know more. If they're shop bought, a link would be great =D) (I'm liking the double whoopie sling idea as a sort of semi-permenant yet adjustable setup).
    I bought 30 feet of climbing strap and cut in half. I put a loop in one end and you are done. I use a ring with a Marlin spike hitch to attach everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Gear hammocks are fun gear. But I usually just store stuff in the Lazy Slug Tube while hanging.

Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    I always attach my pack to a tree. I find a stick about as long as my shoulders are wide and lash it to the tree at about elbow level. Then put one shoulder strap over each side. This makes it easy to get into and you can see inside. If it looks like rain I can either put a pack cover over it or close it up.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    I just hang mine from a tree when the weather's good, and from the hammock itself when it's rainy. obviously, depending on the tarp i'm using, there will be more or less coverage at the ends, so sometimes you have to make a loop of cord, tie it around the ridgeline, and clip the biner to it, further in under the hammock. hope that makes sense.

alternately, you can made a crude rack to set on the ground (couple rocks or logs as a base, with a few more sticks on top to lay your pack on) under the tarp.

i've also just taken a garbage bag and poked a small hole in the bottom, hung it over my pack (like a dry cleaning bag), and pulled a biner (attached to the carry loop) through the hole to hang it off my hammock's tieout straps. (I use that method when i have to bear bag it.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast