Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Calf Pressure

I now have a WBT double layer and a BIAS camper tried them both on two different nights, adjusted everything from foot end higher than head, flipped the hammock, lowered it, found closer tress...u name it I did it. and after 2 or 3 hours into the night my calf hurt so much I had to stretche in the middle of the night. I know my height and weight might be a factor but dang it hurt. I called BRIAN from BIAS and I ordered a 72 inch hammock to see if this helps with the situation. I have read different threads about the issue and lot of people say that the width has little to do with it. my opinion/hope is that the hammock being wider will provide more room for me to lay diagonal therefore more room for my feet,,,I'll see.

Meanwhile and if that hammock doesn't help, what other solutions have you guys found other than losing weight...lol

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Mini-Spreader bars perhaps?

They made a difference on my hammocks...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Give the 72 a shot and see how you do. I have a DangerBird72 and have the most comfortable sleep of any bed or hammock I've ever had the pleasure to try. Length width and ridge line length make the golden triangle of hammock comfort. It might take some tweaking to get it right. It might also take a week or three to get used to hammock sleeping. I'm new to it and found I had to commit to a week in the hammock. Before the week was up I became a convert. Give yourself time to adapt. My knees ached at first from overextension but got used to it soon enough. Your calves may do the same.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Mini-Spreader bars perhaps?

They made a difference on my hammocks...
    This looks very good. if everything fails I will def give this a try.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Give the 72 a shot and see how you do. I have a DangerBird72 and have the most comfortable sleep of any bed or hammock I've ever had the pleasure to try. Length width and ridge line length make the golden triangle of hammock comfort. It might take some tweaking to get it right. It might also take a week or three to get used to hammock sleeping. I'm new to it and found I had to commit to a week in the hammock. Before the week was up I became a convert. Give yourself time to adapt. My knees ached at first from overextension but got used to it soon enough. Your calves may do the same.
    Good to know. How did the 72 compare to other hammocks if u had any?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    I now have a WBT double layer and a BIAS camper tried them both on two different nights, adjusted everything from foot end higher than head, flipped the hammock, lowered it, found closer tress...u name it I did it. and after 2 or 3 hours into the night my calf hurt so much I had to stretche in the middle of the night. I know my height and weight might be a factor but dang it hurt. I called BRIAN from BIAS and I ordered a 72 inch hammock to see if this helps with the situation. I have read different threads about the issue and lot of people say that the width has little to do with it. my opinion/hope is that the hammock being wider will provide more room for me to lay diagonal therefore more room for my feet,,,I'll see.

Meanwhile and if that hammock doesn't help, what other solutions have you guys found other than losing weight...lol
    I tend to have a lot of calf pressure from a lot of different hammocks. Some seem to have a lot less than others but I can get it in any diagonal position in any hammock. And as you already know, this is a common complaint around here. Probably my 2nd place gathered/channel end hammock for lack of calf pressure is 48" wide! And 10 ft long. ( Claytor No Net ) I almost never get it in that or a 60" wide Speer. But, my absolutely best gathered hammock in this regard is the very wide and my longest hammock, the HH Safari. So go figure, width might or might not be a major factor.

My Explorer UL is pretty good also, but I do have to pay attention to my positioning. The last few days, I seem to be having better luck being minimally diagonal.

I generally prefer gathered type hammocks over all. Especially because some of my favorite insulation requires them: HH Super Shelters and Pea Pods. But then again, that calf issue can become mighty pesky. When you decide you have had enough, then order a bridge hammock for an instant and complete cure of this and a few other problems. You will get another set of issues: weight, spreader bars, and the bars interference with tarps, and for some folks with some hammocks, shoulder issues. But you will NOT have any calf pressure or knee extension issues! In the meantime, put a filled stuff sack under your knees.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I tend to have a lot of calf pressure from a lot of different hammocks. Some seem to have a lot less than others but I can get it in any diagonal position in any hammock. And as you already know, this is a common complaint around here. Probably my 2nd place gathered/channel end hammock for lack of calf pressure is 48" wide! And 10 ft long. ( Claytor No Net ) I almost never get it in that or a 60" wide Speer. But, my absolutely best gathered hammock in this regard is the very wide and my longest hammock, the HH Safari. So go figure, width might or might not be a major factor.

My Explorer UL is pretty good also, but I do have to pay attention to my positioning. The last few days, I seem to be having better luck being minimally diagonal.

I generally prefer gathered type hammocks over all. Especially because some of my favorite insulation requires them: HH Super Shelters and Pea Pods. But then again, that calf issue can become mighty pesky. When you decide you have had enough, then order a bridge hammock for an instant and complete cure of this and a few other problems. You will get another set of issues: weight, spreader bars, and the bars interference with tarps, and for some folks with some hammocks, shoulder issues. But you will NOT have any calf pressure or knee extension issues! In the meantime, put a filled stuff sack under your knees.
    I really hope this 72 works...i dont see myself getting a bridge hammock to b honest. thanks for the comment.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Did u used to have an eno dn?
    If so, did u have the same problem?

Just thinking maybe a longer hammock like a GT w a bit more sag might help?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So it's only one leg that gets calf pressure? With me, it was always the left calf. Once I went to a longer hammock (BIAS DL), my calf pressure dissipated. I still get it occasionally, but in my own case, I think I've learned how to sleep in the hammock so I don't get calf pressure.

I lay with my head to the right, legs out to the left. While I can stretch my right leg out as much as I want, the left leg kinda has to be cocked, or bent slightly. I've done a lot of practicing in the back yard, and now have a tablecloth hammock in my office, where I usually sleep 3 to 4 nights a week.

Since I now sleep in a hammock at least half the time, I can honestly say that spending that much time in a hammock has taught me how to sleep in the hammock to avoid calf pressure. That, and the longer hammock.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Lots of good responses up there. I'm sure you'll find a solution among them. My money is on the mini spreader bars and/or a wider hammock laying more diagonally.

The only thing I could add is this:

Sleep on your side. Guaranteed no calf pressure that way. Even if you never sleep on your side in a bed, it may be just the thing in a hammock. The two systems are just different, so don't be afraid to try something new. Best of luck and let us know what you figure out.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast