Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12

    Talking Happy Halloween Everyone!!!




    Or should I say Happy Fall Fest...for all the fun suckers out there. Thats what my daughter school calls it to be "politically correct".

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,870
    Images
    101
    I'm a real fun sucker.... heheh... I don't even recognize the event. My fall fests are all on different days. But by the same token I don't try to impose the title of "Reformation Day" on the day either. I need to make sure my porch light is turned off....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  3. #3
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I'm a real fun sucker.... heheh... I don't even recognize the event. My fall fests are all on different days. But by the same token I don't try to impose the title of "Reformation Day" on the day either. I need to make sure my porch light is turned off....
    RR, I wasn't trying to impose either. Just being kind to those that acknowledge it.
    My old police partner was a Baptist Minister. Man did I get lectured..lol. You would think my kids heads would turn and they spit pea soup on this "paganistic holiday".

    Reformation Day is a celebration of the developement of Lutheran Church correct? I'm gonna Google it

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,870
    Images
    101
    No offense taken whatever..... In fact I chuckled when you used the term.



    Actually I have a number of friends who are wiccan and I choose to acknowledge the celebration by avoiding the trivializing of it. It's roots run very deep and have little if anything to do with the extorting of candy from the homefolk. Plus it gets wicked expensive... plus I got fed up with the teenagers who just went around trying to get candy without even a pretense of a costume.

    I would suggest the book The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. Excellent book on the historic and traditional aspects of the celebration.

    I'm not of the Reformed tradition so I don't really know what the connection is. I don't know if Luther used Oct 31 to nail up his accusations or not.

    I tried one time to tie the celebration into All Saint's Day (Nov 1) and All Soul's Day (Nov 2) both richly meaningful in the Roman Catholic Church but... you know the Baptists.... They would have none of it. I suspect it only compounded the amount of pea soup that would be disgorged.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  5. #5
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12
    Good. Definitly expensive. Wife paid $8 a bag of 2lbs of candy! Last night I literally had teenagers not in costumes and not even bags. They just held out their hands!
    I will pick up Halloween Tree, just out of curiousity. I'm always game in learning. I had a course in College in World Religion and we just touched on Halloween.

    I suspect it only compounded the amount of pea soup that would be disgorged



    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    No offense taken whatever..... In fact I chuckled when you used the term.

    Actually I have a number of friends who are wiccan and I choose to acknowledge the celebration by avoiding the trivializing of it. It's roots run very deep and have little if anything to do with the extorting of candy from the homefolk. Plus it gets wicked expensive... plus I got fed up with the teenagers who just went around trying to get candy without even a pretense of a costume.

    I would suggest the book The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. Excellent book on the historic and traditional aspects of the celebration.

    I'm not of the Reformed tradition so I don't really know what the connection is. I don't know if Luther used Oct 31 to nail up his accusations or not.

    I tried one time to tie the celebration into All Saint's Day (Nov 1) and All Soul's Day (Nov 2) both richly meaningful in the Roman Catholic Church but... you know the Baptists.... They would have none of it.I suspect it only compounded the amount of pea soup that would be disgorged.

  6. #6
    Senior Member E.A.Y.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rescue, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Posts
    943
    Images
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I need to make sure my porch light is turned off....
    We bail out to dinner and a movie so we don't have to: 1) listen to people knocking on the front door of our conspicuously unlit house 2) listen to the dog barking at said people 3) eat tons of un-handed out candy the next few days. And we will eat it if it is there!

    liz, the curmudgeon

  7. #7
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    And we will eat it if it is there!

    liz, the curmudgeon
    *eating Reeses as I type*...don't know what your talking about

  8. #8
    Senior Member pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    828
    Images
    2
    I actually went out trick or treating last night...for canned goods! I got two wheelbarrows full of non-perishable goods in my neighborhood. I dropped it all off at the local food bank this morning. Much better than a sugar rush!

  9. #9
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I actually went out trick or treating last night...for canned goods! I got two wheelbarrows full of non-perishable goods in my neighborhood. I dropped it all off at the local food bank this morning. Much better than a sugar rush!
    Now that is an idea! Yer a good person and ALOT of people reeped the benefits of your good deed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Honduras
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Posts
    912
    Images
    14
    I am in Germany right now. Three of our team went to the very church where whatever happened on the door of the church happened. They left yesterday morning, and since it was at least 4 hours each way I haven't seen them back yet. I'll report if they saw/heard/learned anything interesting. Obviously, church history is not a subject I'm versed well at all in.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Similar Threads

  1. Happy Halloween!
    By Infinity Outfitter in forum Other Vendors and Services
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 09:19
  2. Happy Halloween
    By PapaSmurf in forum Dream Hammock
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 17:28
  3. Happy Hammock Halloween!
    By Knotty in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 19:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •