Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how much down for the $

on www.shopdownlite.com they have 1 pound bags of 800fill down in 90% clusters for $80...

#1 is this a good price?

#2 how far will this go?

i am looking to make a new ultralight UQ and TQ set-up good to about 20* and am trying to possibly ditch the sleeping bag...

thanks in advance for any help!

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    -- Obligitory disclaimer -- I have yet to make my own down gear and experience the temperature ratings that come with it...so I am not an expert in the field.
    If I come across that way it's because I've invested over 20 hours into researching while my sewing machine is in the shop and have a "scientific mindset" causing me to come to confident (and usually accurate) conclusions. -- If projects weren't at a stand still I would have my current project (tent) done and would finished my quilt as well and be able to offer "hands-on advice" rather than "researchers advice"

To summarize up front in 3 words -- pretty good deal

The value of your linked down: it equates to $5/oz -- which is pretty competitive to others (DIY gear - $6.5/oz for 850FP -- thruhiker $10/oz for 900FP)

How does that compare in "value" (warmth/dollar...not considering efficiency of weight)? Here they are listed by FP/$:

shopdown - 160FP/$
    DIY Gear - 130FP/$
    ThruHiker - 90FP/$
    *It should be noted that higher FP ratings mean lighter gear at the same temp rating which is why the "value" is less for higher quality down...also that down can be bought in 1oz (DIY Gear) and 3oz (ThruHiker) increments so it's not bulk pricing.

...might want to check this out too though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110756317290...84.m1438.l2649
    I just bought one of the pillows and the label says 18oz of fill at 800FP - (85% down 15% feather -- can't feel any feathers though...was going to post about the pillow on here but I haven't gotten around to tearing it open for the down yet so I don't know how well it would work)
    anyway, if it's really 85% down (as in 85% of the weight is down...it could be 85% of the volume is down -- the latter would mean more feathers and less down) then it's $46 for 15.3oz of down (or $3/oz) which is really good...if it's the latter it's probably closer to $5/oz and a big pain to deal with if you don't want feathers in your gear.
    If you're considering the "value" of this down it's close to 310FP per dollar but that's including the feathers and is going to add some extra weight (a few ounces).
    **It should be noted that this 800FP has not been verified as true and this pillow could be a knockoff or just not up to the 800FP...After looking it over I don't believe that is the case though.

Finally, to consider how far it will go here are a few sleeping bag models to compare with (800FP each...I made a pretty big spreadsheet of this):

Marmot Arete (40F) - 10.5oz of fill
    Marmot Pinacle (10F) - 24oz of fill
    Mountain Hardware Phantom +45 (45F - 32F for EN rating) - 8oz of fill
    Mountain Hardware Phantom +32 (29F) - 11oz of fill
    Mountain Hardware Phantom +15 (15F) - 20oz of fill
    Mountain Hardware Phantom +0 (0F) - 28oz of fill

How that applies to potential gear:
    so...if you're making a mummy bag you should get down to around 20-25F for a single or you could opt for two 40-45F bags...one big reason for temp rating to fluctuate will be due to material used and how it contours to the body.

If you're going to make a rectangular bag you're probably looking at around 30F and 45F since the down will be spread out a over more area.

Alternatively, if I were to use 16oz of 800FP in my current project -- a 72x72 quilt (huge for 2 people...possibly 3-4 in a pinch)-- the baffles would be 2.5" tall with 5% overstuffed giving around 25F for a temperature rating.
    A typical 72x60" quilt (enough for 2 people) with 3" baffels and 7% overstuff gets you down to 15F.

Hope that helps...also I've attached the two excel spreadsheets that I used for reference
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jordo_99; 09-26-2012 at 16:12.

thanks jordo this is great! i am definately going to DIY a top and underquilt for me and the wife...the 2-2.5" baffles for a 20-25* rating is perfect...now to decide on the overall size of each, ill probably make mine and hers the same sizes...right now im using a REI sub-kilo sleeping bag that is 750fill, rated at 20* and weighs 1lb 10oz...i would like to end up with a set of quilts that meets this same chriteria...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice write up Jordo.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo_99 View Post
    ...might want to check this out too though:[/B]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110756317290...84.m1438.l2649
    I just bought one of the pillows and the label says 18oz of fill at 800FP - (85% down 15% feather -- can't feel any feathers though...was going to post about the pillow on here but I haven't gotten around to tearing it open for the down yet so I don't know how well it would work)
    anyway, if it's really 85% down (as in 85% of the weight is down...it could be 85% of the volume is down -- the latter would mean more feathers and less down) then it's $46 for 15.3oz of down (or $3/oz) which is really good...if it's the latter it's probably closer to $5/oz and a big pain to deal with if you don't want feathers in your gear.
    If you're considering the "value" of this down it's close to 310FP per dollar but that's including the feathers and is going to add some extra weight (a few ounces).
    **It should be noted that this 800FP has not been verified as true and this pillow could be a knockoff or just not up to the 800FP...After looking it over I don't believe that is the case though.
    Good stuff. Now cut into that pillow. We're waiting...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I know, right?
    ...just waiting for the call that my machinery is ready to use again.

I would cut into it now and just baggy it up to save time later but it keeps finding its way into bed with me

I will be sure to post a separate thread (with pics/video) once I do get at the down for you guys...just might have to wait a few more weeks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    hear hear! I might need to order one of those. I'd love to know how many oz of down you get out of it, the quality, if it really looks like 800fp, etc.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    hear hear! I might need to order one of those. I'd love to know how many oz of down you get out of it, the quality, if it really looks like 800fp, etc.
    Never bought 800FP down before so wouldn't know the difference up front...My plan is to calculate the amount of down needed for my baffle size and then add 5-10% to the amount of 800FP that would be needed to fill it.

...but if someone had some extra 800FP and wanted to send me a small amount I'd be obliged to to compare them (with pictures/video of course)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Thread-c...item35b5b5626e

this one also looks interesting. 2lb of 750 fill down for $90 (king size pillow) comes to ~$2.8/oz and hopefully no feathers to clean.

I'm also trying to decide which ebay pillow to buy for my quilt

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Here's Blooming My Luxe 800 fill pillows $79.52 http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOOMING-My-...item20cbb1afd5

Note - thats the bid price!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast