Suspension
    whoopieslings!!

cuben a-symmetrical hammocks?

he there,

has anyone made an a-symmetrical hammock out of cuben material? like a WBBB or a HH or a Woodsman x? if so, how did it go?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My cuben "Little Gray Cloud" started as a plain gathered end hammock, but I couldn't get a comfortable diagonal position because the lack of stretch produced a very hard ridge down the middle. I turned it into an adjustable hammock with multiple lines on each end, and then the diagonal become workable and pretty comfortable. I then added another layer of cuben and some down insulation - all recounted in another thread - producing a comfortable sleeping system that weighed 1 lb. Unfortunately it proved not quite strong enough, so I converted it to an underquilt, which works quite well. However, cuben doesn't breathe so it becomes necessary to monitor body temperature and adjust layers during the night. My conclusion was that future insulated hammocks and underquilts will be made from nylon. The stretchiness of nylon makes it more comfortable than cuben, too. Cuben serves best as stuff sacks, tarps, and rain gear (but breatheability can be an issue with rain gear, too.)

Images
    yes, and you'd want to use a heavier grade of cuben which offsets alot of the weight savings...tarp weight cuben will not be strong enough for a hammock

Suspension
    whoopieslings!!
    what type of cuben would you recommend for a hammock?

@wv do you have any pictures of your "Little Gray Cloud" or your adjustable hammock with multiple lines?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard leeuw View Post
    what type of cuben would you recommend for a hammock? None. It functions too well for other purposes to waste it on a hammock, and other materials work better for hammocks.

@wv do you have any pictures of your "Little Gray Cloud" or your adjustable hammock with multiple lines?
    Here's a link to the thread. There's a video in post 5. See post 33 for details.

• + New Posts