Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Images

Under Quilt on a Bridge, tip

Last weekend I spent two nights in my DIY Bridge. I was just a little cold the first night at 40 degrees or so. Since a bridge is narrower than a normal hammock and underquilt, I noticed the air getting in near the center between the bridge and the quilt. My buddy, Dave gave me a tip and I wanted to share it with you.
    Out in the woods, I used safety pins, but then made the mods on all my underquilts after I got back by sewing loops on the edges.
    Out on the trail I simply took two 18 inch lengths of 1/8 bungee and tied a loop in each end making them about 14 inches loop to loop and pinned them to each side on the edge of the underquilt about 10 or 12 inches apart and centered lengthwise on each side of the quilt. Then after getting into the bridge and pulling my overquilt over me, I pinned the two lengths of bungee together over the center, making an X over my body. This small amount of force pulled the underquilt in to hold it very snug to the hammock. I had a wonderfully warmer night that night. This works well.
    One of the pictures shows the reusable velcro ties I am beginning to use instead of mini biners. I will use these to close the two lengths of bungee into an X to hold the sides closed. Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
    Buddha.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    cool!
    glad to see you came up w/ a solution. on my 3/4 uq i simply sewed small loops onto the side of the hammock where the uq would stay attached and keep snug. for a buffer, im using some hair ties (elastic) to take up the slack. i love that everyone has a different, and in this case, "new" method to stay warm. rock on!
    new site! new gear! www.tewaunderquilts.com
    follow me on facebook!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    nice solution!

I was messing with this problem last winter and had a not-very-good solution involving office clips that kept getting pulled off the quilt and hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Images

Niteize S Biner

I slept out in the back yard night before last at about 18 degrees. Used the summer quilt and the no sniveler on top and the old rag mtn on bottom and was honestly too hot. I had to remove my hat and use only a thin belaclava on my head. I had nothing on but long underwear top and bottom too.
    I have gone to using these for all four corners of my underquilt and also used one for holding the underquilt together that night. These worked well. I used the smallest size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddha.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Then after getting into the bridge and pulling my overquilt over me, I pinned the two lengths of bungee together over the center, making an X over my body.
    Do you find that the X over your body, holds your top quilt in position better when moving around at night. Or not? Or no difference?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have gone to using these for all four corners of my underquilt and also used one for holding the underquilt together that night. These worked well. I used the smallest size.
    I just switched to those little s-biners as well. Makes it easier to set up and take down IMO.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Images
    Yes, the X's work really good and gently. I have all kinds of freedom to move and sleep on my side. My main concern is like getting spooked in the middle of the night and forgetting they are over me, like if the Zombies are coming and I forget to undo the S biners....but the S biners are much easier than a mini biner or velcro, etc..
    Buddha.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, the X's work really good and gently. I have all kinds of freedom to move and sleep on my side. My main concern is like getting spooked in the middle of the night and forgetting they are over me, like if the Zombies are coming and I forget to undo the S biners....but the S biners are much easier than a mini biner or velcro, etc..

Hmm... yep, Zombies would be a problem... but in that case I'm sure you'd find some way to get out.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Where do you find those S-biners. A friend gave me one and they are great. But I have only seen them on Backpacking Light. Can you get them any where else. Local stores??

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Images
    Buddha.