Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Hanging a HG Incubator under a Ridgerunner

Well first off my Ridgerunner arrived today just in time for my backpacking trip this weekend and beyond. Thanks to Brandon for getting it here. I emailed him about the date and he made it happen.

To say I am thrilled with the hammock is an understatement. My main concern was how my full length Hammock Gear Incubator was going to fit. My first couple of attempts were a disaster but then I discovered a method that makes it fit perfectly. Basically what I did was to turn the hammock while hung upside down as is shown in Brandon's excellent video and laid the UQ out. I also stretched out the ends as far as they would go from side to side. I then took the long continuous bungee that runs the entire circumference of the UQ and hooked them on the outside ends of the spreader bars at each end. The UQ fits like a glove in my opinion and stays put very well. (See pics) (yes I know it's upside down) The saddle bags work well inside and outside of the UQ and it does not rise above the sides of the hammock as I've seen in other pics. It's snug at both ends and the sides..

I set it up with my 144" Big Daddy tarp. With the guylines all the way out I had two feet of clearance from the long spreader bars. With guylines out about four ft I still had a good foot or more of clearance. Even in what I would consider a very steep pitch I had about six inches of clearance. I can't even imagine needing the side tie outs. (see pics)

I attached the head end of my bug netting to my tarp....I'll be very surprised if any water drips down to the netting. Besides it would also have to make it past the barrel lock on the bungee cord.

I did try it also with my Neo Air XL lite and it fit with plenty of room to spare. I just fed it a bit in from the foot end then came around to the head end and pulled it through. I suspect my shoulders may become chilled so I plan on cutting a precise piece of foam that will fit as snugly as possible in the shoulder area. I'm figuring that may be a possible problem area since the sides don't come much, making it difficult to cover the shoulders, We'll see.

That's about it. It's as comfortable as all get out! Hands down the most comfortable hammock I've ever been in. I couldn't be happier with it.

I also bought the Spindrift but I need to go back and check out Brandon's video on how to set it up. Thank you Brandon for a great hammock and great service. The pics basically show how the UQ is attached and different ptches of the tarp....the 4th pic shows the hammock upside down with the UQ bungee routed around the end of the spreader bar.

Miguel

PS Straps probably don't need to be as long with this hammock due to the length of the triangle lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miguel; 09-27-2012 at 16:53.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Thanks Miguel! Using existing gear has been a big thing for me regarding this bad boy! Getting closer Brandon!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Thanks Miguel! Using existing gear has been a big thing for me regarding this bad boy! Getting closer Brandon!
    Well if this will push you over the edge....here's the Spindrift. After checking the video one more time I couldn't resist installing it...even with fading darkness.

Some thoughts on the Spindrift...it could of course be done but but I'm not sure I would want to put it together in the field. I disassembled the required parts and routed the lines through the Spindrift in about twenty minutes, first time. I laid it out on my living room floor....not sure if I want to do that in the field. I also plan on placing a separate set of suspension bungees on the Spindrift in order to save one step.

I wasn't sure about the best procedure to install the UQ but it was actually quite simple. Once the Ridgerunner was hung I flipped the entire rig, including the Spindrift. I simply stuck my head inside the Spindrift door and attached the UQ with niteize biners to the loops just like Brandon does with the Lynx. I flipped it back over and crawled in....everything was perfect. If I felt the weather warranted taking the Spindrift I would install it at home. Of course this is my first time with it. With more experience I may change my mind.

It's a very sweet rig...both the hammock and the Spindrift.

Go for it! Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miguel; 09-27-2012 at 18:52.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Thanks for the pics of the Spindrift on and great review of the setup!

I recently decided to remove the apex buckle (dremmel tool) and replaced it with a Dutch biner. For a tiny weight gain, I think this would be a much easier option for those who want to rig the spindrift on the fly AND it allows a user to remove the webbing should they get wet, dirty, etc.

HC

Thanks for the pics, I was wondering about this setup myself. My gf bought a WBBB and an Incubator, and doesn't think the BB lays flat enough so she wants to trade to a bridge hammock.

Do you think the lay is flat enough for a stomach sleeper?

And know of anyone that needs another WBBB since my gf tried mine, loved it, and then didn't like her exact same model?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    s1125r, remember, it's a woman's perogative to change her mind.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s1125r View Post
    Thanks for the pics, I was wondering about this setup myself. My gf bought a WBBB and an Incubator, and doesn't think the BB lays flat enough so she wants to trade to a bridge hammock.

Do you think the lay is flat enough for a stomach sleeper?

And know of anyone that needs another WBBB since my gf tried mine, loved it, and then didn't like her exact same model?
    I'm not sure about stomach sleeping but I'd be willing to give it a try and get back to you.

I just got back from a five day (car)camping trip with the Ridgerunner which btw included two day of rain. It was the most comfortable I've been in any hammock and we own seven from five different manufacturers. The full length Incubator stayed in place and kept me warm attached with small biners to the four corner loops. I also didn't use any drip strings and no water reached the hammock body. I also didn't experience any contact with with the tarp due to the end poles, nor did I use any extra tie-outs other than the four corners. I used a full length Big Daddy from Wilderness Logics.

The only slight hassle I see with the hammock is installing the Spindrift in the field. My inclination might be to install it at home, including the UQ and stuff the entire rig in the bottom of my pack without using a separate bags. I did that on this trip and had it all set up literally in seconds including the UQ. I rarely use a separate bag for my UQ or sleeping bag anyway. It fills up your backpack way better than separate stuff bags. BTW...the Spindrift was quite easy to zip/unzip and allowed plenty of room for entry/exit.

So far I'm pretty darned stoked about the Ridgerunner.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't mention all the places to store stuff inside. My down jacket fit perfectly in one of the saddlebags. Glasses and headlamp behind my head, books, lighters knives etc wherever! Loads of room for just about anything.

Miguel
    Last edited by Miguel; 10-02-2012 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    s1125r, remember, it's a woman's perogative to change her mind.
    I know I'm preaching to guys who are far more experienced than I in that area since I have yet to be married... but holy crap am I finding that to be true in spades.

Images
    the spindrift is really meant for seasonal use, put in on when it starts getting cold and take it off in the spring once it warms up. definately not meant to be taken on and off all the time.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=warbonnetguy;825396]the spindrift is really meant for seasonal use, put in on when it starts getting cold and take it off in the spring once it warms up. definately not meant to be taken on and off all the time.[/QUOTE

Yup...couldn't agree more. Mine will be staying on until at least next May. What a difference it makes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast