Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Hanging a HG Incubator under a Ridgerunner

Well first off my Ridgerunner arrived today just in time for my backpacking trip this weekend and beyond. Thanks to Brandon for getting it here. I emailed him about the date and he made it happen.

To say I am thrilled with the hammock is an understatement. My main concern was how my full length Hammock Gear Incubator was going to fit. My first couple of attempts were a disaster but then I discovered a method that makes it fit perfectly. Basically what I did was to turn the hammock while hung upside down as is shown in Brandon's excellent video and laid the UQ out. I also stretched out the ends as far as they would go from side to side. I then took the long continuous bungee that runs the entire circumference of the UQ and hooked them on the outside ends of the spreader bars at each end. The UQ fits like a glove in my opinion and stays put very well. (See pics) (yes I know it's upside down) The saddle bags work well inside and outside of the UQ and it does not rise above the sides of the hammock as I've seen in other pics. It's snug at both ends and the sides..

I set it up with my 144" Big Daddy tarp. With the guylines all the way out I had two feet of clearance from the long spreader bars. With guylines out about four ft I still had a good foot or more of clearance. Even in what I would consider a very steep pitch I had about six inches of clearance. I can't even imagine needing the side tie outs. (see pics)

I attached the head end of my bug netting to my tarp....I'll be very surprised if any water drips down to the netting. Besides it would also have to make it past the barrel lock on the bungee cord.

I did try it also with my Neo Air XL lite and it fit with plenty of room to spare. I just fed it a bit in from the foot end then came around to the head end and pulled it through. I suspect my shoulders may become chilled so I plan on cutting a precise piece of foam that will fit as snugly as possible in the shoulder area. I'm figuring that may be a possible problem area since the sides don't come much, making it difficult to cover the shoulders, We'll see.

That's about it. It's as comfortable as all get out! Hands down the most comfortable hammock I've ever been in. I couldn't be happier with it.

I also bought the Spindrift but I need to go back and check out Brandon's video on how to set it up. Thank you Brandon for a great hammock and great service. The pics basically show how the UQ is attached and different ptches of the tarp....the 4th pic shows the hammock upside down with the UQ bungee routed around the end of the spreader bar.

Miguel

PS Straps probably don't need to be as long with this hammock due to the length of the triangle lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miguel; 09-27-2012 at 16:53.

• + New Posts