Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images

BillyBob58's variation on Risk's hammock stand

Funbun: I'm trying to respond to the request for the picture. But I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I uploaded the image OK, but then what? Let me post this and see if it's there, if not I'll try again.

PS: Looks like it worked! Here is BB58's variation on the Risk Hammock stand for those who might like something a little stouter ( though heavier, no doubt. But then I won't pack it in with me ), as well as those who might prefer to get rid of the center bottom beam that is normally under the hammock. This is quite stout and steady when I move around in the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-24-2007 at 15:44.

Ahh, that's makes even more sense. Your variant seems more simple to me.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I that upright a 2x4 ? Turned flat toward the center of the stand? Seems like that might be shaky - but then again, I used to build houses so I would probably tend to overdo one of those. Nice stand, though!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Please send a picture. Or post it here or something. I think I understand what you're talking about. Basically, you've got a rectangular base.

I plan to buy big piece of 4130 steel tubing from Aircraft Spruce. It's the same type tubing that I use in my "stick" bike:
    Nice Bent. I would love to make my own Recumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Nice Bent. I would love to make my own Recumbent.
    Check out the Homebuilders section at Bentrideronline

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I that upright a 2x4 ? Turned flat toward the center of the stand? Seems like that might be shaky - but then again, I used to build houses so I would probably tend to overdo one of those. Nice stand, though!

Thanks!
    But, you might be right- I had not thought of turning that 2x4 upright so that it would be stressed on the 4" thickness. That no doubt would be stouter and makes a lot of sense! However, in the original design, it is intended for the metal bar ( top of the picture) to take nearly all of the load, and the plan is much the same with this one. When you weight the hammock in the center, and it pulls the uprights towards each other and the center, they are resisted by the overhead metal bar. Only now I have 3 uprights on each end instead of one, connected/braced by both 1/2" to 3/4" plywood as well as a 2x4 cross beam. I added all of this extra lumber since when I got rid of the central bottom beam, that meant there was nothing to brace the original single(in the center) uprights to. So I replaced that single beam with 2 bottom beams, each beam with an upright connected to the bottom beam and the center upright by plywood and/or 2x4s. But all of that is mainly for insurance, to hopefullly hold me long enough to get out of the hammock, in case the metal bar was to give for some reason.

I have had some folks observe the uprights as I bounce around in the hammock, and they tell me there is only a very slight movement overall, and virtually zero movement of uprights towards the center. If I am mostly still, the uprights are, well, upright. That is to say about zero bend or flex.

My only remaining paranoia is the few inches of upright ABOVE the metal bar, which is normally above my straps/ropes. I suspect it slightly flexes above the straps under load as it presses against the metal bar. So I'll either brace it with another 2x4 and some bolts, or I'll just keep testing to see if it will break! Or, if I get really energetic, maybe I'll turn at least the center upright around so that the 4" part is taking the stress from the metal bar! As far as I know, however, Risk's original (which has the 2" part holding the metal bar, like mine) has not broken with his use.

Bill

Images
    My wife would love me to do this. I would need a hammock that sleeps two. Also, there would be the problem of getting up without waking the other. Then I would have to figure out what to do with the $2k mattress (My wife has a bad back and I love her).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12