HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies

quick suspension angle question

I am trying to get better at my angles for a more comfortable lay. I apoligize now for the Noobie question but i cant find the one tutorial i was watching. Below is a pic of the way i had it hung and i think i don't have enough of an angle on it. I was watching a tutorial on hanging your hammock a while back and the guy was talking about how a good test is if you are laying in it and try and twist the ridge line in your thumb and pointer finger and it will twist a half turn that is the perfect hang. Now i cant find that video. And i dont remember the cause if it was so tight you could barely twist the ridge line. So i am thinking i dont have enough of an angle down, meaning i should put it higher on the tree right?

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    if it matters i am using a marlin spike hitch to a whoopie sling on my Hennessy backpacker hammock

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    the video i belive you are refrencing is from warbonnet outdoors... they show how to set up the blackbird and how to tell if the ridgline is correct..thats on a fixed ridgline of about 100". by the looks of the pic, why i cant tell for sure your trees are a good distance apart 20+feet? if so yes higher on the tree go the straps and the angle changes.. you might want to search here or on google the hammock hang calculator..
    good luck. Just know that for the most part what is learned here is from alot of personal experiences and like alot with this is what feels safe and right to you as you are the one laying in it!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    First, anyone that hangs between Magnolias with Crepe Myrtles all around is blessed.

Second, they say that 30* is the proper hang angle. Yours looks a little flat by that standard. But I do not know who "they" are or how they came up with 30* so I agree with mountainhanger above to do what feels best for you.

Mike

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's always the hammock hang calculator at http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator.html

Just enter your info and it will give you the proper height to mount your tree straps on the tree.

I personally don't subscribe to the theory that the ridgeline should be slightly slack. It makes no sense to me - if it's slack, then what function does it serve?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your hang is definitely looking tight. A quick way to check the angle is to form a pistol with your hand using your thumb and index finger, like when you were a kid with your thumb cocked. Then, hold your finger parallel to the ground. The tip of your finger and tip of your thumb should touch the suspension line. Then your about 30 degrees.

Or, use your iPhone app.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally don't subscribe to the theory that the ridgeline should be slightly slack. It makes no sense to me - if it's slack, then what function does it serve?
    Agreed, it's great to know you aren't putting way too much force on your suspension, but I don't think it's necessary as long as your ridge line is weaker than your main suspension. That way it's a good indicator if it snaps in half that you need to heighten your straps. The ridgeline is for a consistent hang and nothing else. Well maybe to hang stuff on...

Except if it's a non structural ie shock cord or something to that nature...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yes, part of the issue is the tension on the suspension, but you CAN break your ridgeline, which would cause a cascade failure of your bugnet...

I've moved a CAR by pushing laterally on a taut rope. The force-multiplier effect is huge.

30-degree suspension ensures that approximately 1x your body weight is the tension on each leg of the suspension... I pull hard on trees...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP:

If you are comfortable, there's nothing wrong with your hang.

Another reason Warbonnetguy gives advice on preferred tautness of the included structural ridgeline (SRL) is that it is subject to two stretches, the first due to it being new, the second being the stretch that gets to 1% of length at 30% of load.

IIRC, there's a knot in the WB SRL weakening the line, so the 450lb BS line may well fail at 250lb load.

Are your trees 25+ feet apart? If so, stop worrying the height of the straps; and instead replace the SRL with stronger line, a few $ worth of Amsteel Blue 7/64". Short of that, replace the knot in the SRL with an eye splice and a rated carabiner, or (much less expensively) with a small soft shackle, recovering all the strength of the included SRL. (The soft shackle is stronger because the load is carried on 4 legs. Even if the stopper knot that is part of the shackle weakens the shackle, what is diminished is the strength of four legs, not just one.)
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-28-2012 at 11:27.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    First, anyone that hangs between Magnolias with Crepe Myrtles all around is blessed.

Second, they say that 30* is the proper hang angle. Yours looks a little flat by that standard. But I do not know who "they" are or how they came up with 30* so I agree with mountainhanger above to do what feels best for you.

Mike
    hah i cant stand that magnolia, thats purely from a yard maintenance perspective though. It does look great when it blooms though, same with the crape and myrtles.

Thanks for the link Silver! I will have to check it out when i get home and see what the distance is.

Johnsawyer - I learned all about the angles when the father in law was showing a group of boyscouts about how much the force of pull changes base on angles. It's FANTASTIC for pulling tree stumps out of the ground too lol.

demostiX - trees probably are 25+ feet apart but i do have whoopie sling using amsteel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast