Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Poncho Liner Underquilt

The good: I did it. I folded it long ways to make a full-length UQ rather than short-ways to make a 3/4 length UQ. Hopefully it's wide enough to work. If not, then lesson learned, I've got a few more PLs on the way from a cousin. I also integrated a zipper so I can put another layer (fleece blanket or something) between the two existing layers for colder nights.

The bad: I broke five needles doing it, and it looks like I sewed it with my feet instead of my two capable hands.

I made a full as well. Its wide enough and you can also tie it over the hammock as one a one layer cocoon lol

Jeremy

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I applaud your efforts and am glad to see another hanger enjoying the benefits of inexpensive options but I am unsure of the results. An underquilt is designed to sort of wrap around yourself and the hammock. If it is not wide enough, regardless of what you do, it will not stay under the body of the hammock; nylon is just too slippery for that. On a good note though, you are joining a relatively small group of males who use a sewing machine. Some glamorize it and call it a thread injector so their ego stays intact, but in the end it is still a sewing machine. I love your zipper idea(I'm assuming that's how your needles snapped) and I hope this newly finished project works out for you. The worst that could happen out of it is to repurpose the pl. at a bare minimum you had a crash course in basic sewing. Congrats and welcome the the pl club.

Disclaimer: we proudly accept donations in the form of a poncho liner. have fun and hang safe.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    I applaud your efforts and am glad to see another hanger enjoying the benefits of inexpensive options but I am unsure of the results. An underquilt is designed to sort of wrap around yourself and the hammock. If it is not wide enough, regardless of what you do, it will not stay under the body of the hammock; nylon is just too slippery for that. On a good note though, you are joining a relatively small group of males who use a sewing machine. Some glamorize it and call it a thread injector so their ego stays intact, but in the end it is still a sewing machine. I love your zipper idea(I'm assuming that's how your needles snapped) and I hope this newly finished project works out for you. The worst that could happen out of it is to repurpose the pl. at a bare minimum you had a crash course in basic sewing. Congrats and welcome the the pl club.

Disclaimer: we proudly accept donations in the form of a poncho liner. have fun and hang safe.
    Many thanks, Fish. As far as placement, I was contemplating attaching it (with a biner, maybe) to the hammock itself, but I'm not 100% sure on that idea yet. It's still being marinated on.

The needles snapped 'cause I kept getting a huge mess on the bobbin which would then seize up and the needle would snap.

To be honest, I think it had a lot to do with inexperience, thick material (two layers of PL and two layers of grosgrain), and inexperience. The worst part on this thing is where the zipper goes on, but it's functional...which I guess is what matters, eh? I'm pretty sure one of the inbound PLs I've got will be a no-sew solution, just in case this one is garbage.

Next project: bishop bag

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You could always "practice" and just sew it straight to the hammock. that would probably do really well as an alternative...

Here's some tips on the bishop bag.(mine is handsewn and took only a couple of hours)

Start with the ends you want to be able to open, sew all of that first. Then sew lengthwise (inside out of course). Flip it right side out, pass your cord through, tie it together and your done. Easy peasy...

Have fun with the bishop bag. They are so simple to make, you will crave making one till you buy/make another hammock...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I was contemplating a bag that was open on both sides with a drawstring closure (of course on either end).

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Many thanks, Fish. As far as placement, I was contemplating attaching it (with a biner, maybe) to the hammock itself, but I'm not 100% sure on that idea yet. It's still being marinated on.

The needles snapped 'cause I kept getting a huge mess on the bobbin which would then seize up and the needle would snap.

To be honest, I think it had a lot to do with inexperience, thick material (two layers of PL and two layers of grosgrain), and inexperience. The worst part on this thing is where the zipper goes on, but it's functional...which I guess is what matters, eh? I'm pretty sure one of the inbound PLs I've got will be a no-sew solution, just in case this one is garbage.

Next project: bishop bag
    Most bottom tangles are either: Insufficient top tension or insufficient bottom tension (though, you really shouldn't mess with the bottom tension, according to ramblin Rev, our local sewing machine guru...)

I have also had issues when using cheap thread, or small needles. I switched to a larger needle and it fixed it. I still get tangles, but it's normally an issue where the bobbin thread pulled out of the tensioner. So I rethread the whole machine and all is well...

Many "home" machines don't do really thick materials well.

I have found that with my PLUQ, 4 safety pins are sufficient to add a layer of insulation, and that fleece works best against the hammock...

Best of luck!

John

Oh, and us real-men are perfectly happy calling it a sewing machine. and yes, I can SEW!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Most bottom tangles are either: Insufficient top tension or insufficient bottom tension (though, you really shouldn't mess with the bottom tension, according to ramblin Rev, our local sewing machine guru...)

I have also had issues when using cheap thread, or small needles. I switched to a larger needle and it fixed it. I still get tangles, but it's normally an issue where the bobbin thread pulled out of the tensioner. So I rethread the whole machine and all is well...

Many "home" machines don't do really thick materials well.

I have found that with my PLUQ, 4 safety pins are sufficient to add a layer of insulation, and that fleece works best against the hammock...

Best of luck!

John

Oh, and us real-men are perfectly happy calling it a sewing machine. and yes, I can SEW!
    Indeed. I'm convinced I dove in on the deep end, as this was my first DIY project.

I'm not even sure HOW to manipulate the bottom tension, so top tension is all I ever touched.

Safety pins? How boring. ZIPPERS! ZIPPERS EVERYWHERE! PUT A ZIPPER IN ALL THE THINGS!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Gresh, sounds like your having fun. I imagine you showing up next week at the hang with zippers on everything.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    regarding sewing problems:
    Most all my problems disappeared when I went to Upholstery thread and cranked up the tension since the thread quit breaking.

Worked for me.
    grinder

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast